Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - hard starting when engine is hot
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2010, 01:47 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

hard starting when engine is hot

I got my engine finished and adjust the carburetor today and went for a ride.
I encountered a problem.
The engine will not start when hot. Cold no problem. The car runs good on the road, no hesitation.
Engine is a 1955 plymouth 259 poly engine (P27), just ready overhauling to original specifications. Set timing to 6 degrees advance.
The carburetor is a Carter WCFB 4 barrel carburetor, type 2253S, with automatic choke. The choke operates fine, heat control valve in the exhaust is operating excellent. Carburetor has been cleaned a week ago and has new valve needles, gaskets etc. complete overhaul set installed.

When the engine is hot and I try to start, I have a good cranking engine, have enough fuel going to the carburator, have a good spark (at least I can see one when I took the spark plug out).
I tested to start the hot engine after 1 minute, no problem. After 10 minutes or so, won't start. First I didn't touch the gas pedal. After that I pumped in some gas.....no start.

Thought of perhaps overflowing gas from heat expension into the intake.
Let engine cool down. Heat up again and start after 10 minutes of rest.
Tried to start with pushing the pedal very slowly to the floor before starting so vapour of the overflowing gas could get out. cranked for about 1.5 minutes....no result.
adjusted the Float setting specification: prim: 1/8" lowered by 0.027", secondary 3/16" lowered by 0.02". Drop primary 5/8", sec.: 11/16" . I did not readjust the drop after adjusting the level.
This didn't help.

Can anyone help me on this problem?

Thanks
Edwin.