Hot Rod Forum banner

hard starting when engine hot

2K views 24 replies 7 participants last post by  hemi joe 
#1 ·
i'am having problems starting my 87 caprice 5.7litre after it is running for a while.it cranks very slowley like battery is low,after it sits for a couple minutes it will kick over.when car is cold it fires right up.started doing this after trans was rebuilt and new flywheel installed i also put a accel super coil on car.i also put new thermostat in.any thoughts would be greatly appreated.THANKS JOE :confused:

#13 ·
If the timing is correct, and everything else seems up to par. Add grounds. Run the factory ground to the block, not the alternator bracket. Next run another ground from the block to the frame. You can use the brake line hold down under the engine on the cross over frame. Make sure you clean the contact areas real well. Check the factory grounds, there should be one on the firewill to the intake, make sure it`s connected and clean.
This is what I had to do to my Olds cutlass surpreme. I had a header pipe that rode on the starter so it got hot fast. After I added grounds no more starter problems. The added benefit was the lights were brighter and the alternator didn`t have to work as hard to provide the same power.

#15 ·
problem back,from old thread hot caprice hard start.

hey guys,this is from another thread about my 87 caprice 5.7L having hard starts on hot motor.once again this problem has happened but this time on cold start.my mechanic replacing my rear said when they tried to start car smoke was comming from near starter,cooked small ground wire from battery cable(third time this has happened)and cooked ground wire from starter.he said he added heaverier gauge ground wire,seems to be ok.my question is do i have wrong gauge battery cables because this is ex police car with high amp.alternator(which is also new)and high output starter?also would adding accel high output coil have anything to add to this problem? :confused:

#16 ·
Are they true 4 gauge battery cables? I would suspect the battery ground cable connection at the engine, or possible 6 gauge ground cable. You also need to have at least a 10 gauge main body ground from the battery to the fender. Since you are smoking the smaller ground cables, this makes me think this is your problem.

#17 · (Edited)
I would remove the main coil wire , crank your car several seconds, then touch starter and related wires to see if anything is getting hot.

You already verified all related wire connections are clean and snug?

I would carry a fire extinguisher in case you have a short circuit fire.

Verify starter is installed straight; not binding against something. Does starter to new flywheel engagement/disengagement sound normal?

#18 ·
i'am thinking more on the line of wrong battery cables,since i burned up the first small ground off that first,probaly after one week.should i be using a heaveier gauge because of police wirering(such as extra lights,sirens,ect.)were wirered up before,and who knows what they cut off when they sold it.my mechanic working on the rear says starter is bad,never had this problem untill he rebuilt my trans :mad: he does not understand he is working on a ex police car,three times he has ordered the wrong parts!my problem is he is my uncle,and i don't think he knows what he is working with.WAIT TILL YOU HEAR WHY IT HAS TAKEN HIM 3 WEEKS TO GET PARTS FOR MY REAR...NEXT CHAPTER.ANY HELP GREATLY WELCOME.....THANKS JOE :embarrass

#19 ·
How can you burn up the small ground wire ?

Have you verified the big ground wire is attached properly? If the big ground wire is attached then it will be getting very hot to the touch when the small ground is burning up.

Why don't you remove the coil wire so engine wont start...then crank the car for a long time...then feel of the big ground wire...

If the big ground wire is not hot then:
You don't need a bigger ground cable to start the car.

If the big ground wire is hot then your problem may be :
ground wire too small or improperly terminated..
starter drawing too much current.
Starter wire shorting out.

#22 ·
hemi joe said:
my question is,why did this start after trans was rebuilt and new flywheel was installed.EVERYTHING WAS FINE BEFORE!
The starter to flywheel alignment is too close, is my second guess.

My third guess would be the number of teeth on the flywheel, and the correct starter installed. This can cause grinding during cranking though. Did they re-install the spacer plate between the transmission, and engine, if equipped?

#23 ·
THAT'S A GOOD QUESTION,LIKE I SAID MY UNCLE IS VERY bullheaded.YOU GUYS HAVE ANSWERED ALOT OF MY QUESTIONS TOTHE TEE!I'AM STILL LEARNING AS I GO ON.I'AM 47 YEARS OLD AND DON'T KNOW THE 2000'S KNOWHOW,PLEASE WORK WITH ME,I LOVE TO LEARN THE NEW STUFF. ANY INFO IS KNOWLEDE TO ME.... :welcome: :eek:

#25 ·
CAR CRANKS OVER GREAT,NO PROBLEMS JUST KEEPS BURNING UP GROUND WIRES! LIKE I SAID AFTER NEW TRANS WAS INSTALLED.BEFORE TRANS REBUILD NO PROBLEM!!! ONLY THING I DID WAS PUT AN ACCEL COIL ON CAR. DID NOT UPGRADE DIST. MODULES WITH ACCEL PART#35362.MAYBE PROBLEM I DON'T KNOW? ANY HELP GREATLY APPREATED. THANKS JOE :( :mad: :confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.