Harley generators. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2011, 11:05 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Harley generators.

I have a 68 HArley Sporster with magneto,no battery. My problem is the voltage regulator wore out so I replaced it with a solid state regulator. Old regulator had 5 wires new has 3. The ground was easy to fix but the 4th wire which was labeled 6I or 61 has me puzzled. I installed the regulator with the B+,Field and Armature connected and it did not work.
I may have grounded the field of the generator as I tried it.
BUt
Where would the 6i wire connect and how does the the generator get its initial excitation voltage without a battery. PS the 61 lead goes to the capacitor on the bike.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2011, 05:33 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Priest
I have a 68 HArley Sporster with magneto,no battery. My problem is the voltage regulator wore out so I replaced it with a solid state regulator. Old regulator had 5 wires new has 3. The ground was easy to fix but the 4th wire which was labeled 6I or 61 has me puzzled. I installed the regulator with the B+,Field and Armature connected and it did not work.
I may have grounded the field of the generator as I tried it.
BUt
Where would the 6i wire connect and how does the the generator get its initial excitation voltage without a battery. PS the 61 lead goes to the capacitor on the bike.
Whose regulator, there are several designs out there?

First the generator has to polarized. That means hooking the proper voltage source 6 volt or 12 depending on your generators volt rating. The positive lead is connected to the A terminal then the F terminal is kissed with the ground side. This provides the proper orientation of the magnetic fields.

The battery eliminator i.e. capacitor needs to be charged by the same process with the case attached to the ground terminal of the battery and the pigtail kissed to the positive. Backwards wiring for the gen and capacitor if this is a negative ground set up.

Typically on these things the battery wire is yellow and it goes to the battery terminal of the ignition switch and to the pigtail of the capacitor. The red wire is usually Armature and would connect to the generator and on to the gen light if you have one. The green wire is field and goes nowhere else. Some versions use a 4th wire black as a ground for the regulator case, if the case is metal it probably is the ground path for the electronics so it needs to bolt somewhere to the chassis a common point with the battery eliminator would be good. The eliminator needs to also connect to the ignition switch.

I've included an attachment of what this circuit should look like it's for a 4 wire regulator, the 4th simply being a ground so you can ignore it.

Bogie
Attached Files
File Type: doc Harley Batt Elimin Circuit.doc (106.5 KB, 236 views)
Old 06-21-2011, 08:05 PM

Regulator connection

Thanks a lot old bogie,
The regulator was Drag Specialties, purchased from J&P cycles.
The 3 wires were green red and Orange.
I hope nothing is damaged but I have been trying to polarize with positive to the field and not armature.
I found an older schematic for a 65 Sporster and it showed the capacitor going to the positive lead coming from the regulator also.
I appreciate the drawing because my bike has no ignition switch and the oil and gen light are open also. I am going to try to polarize to the A, armature now and hoping it works. I have been worikng on this for 4 days now.
In your drawing the yellow wire goes to the magneto also. My bike only has a kill switch to ground to the magneto. Is it supposed to connected to the battery eliminator capacitor.
It is a litle cold blooded on starts.
Thanks again, you haVE MADE MY DAY, ESPECIALLY IF POLARIZING WORKS.
Old 06-25-2011, 04:46 PM

Last photo:

rex try this site . theres a good bunch of guy's on this site. www.harleytechtalk.net

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.