Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Harmonic balancer
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2012, 07:17 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

the only documentation i have is a smudged piece of loose leaf paper with the mechanics writing on it. Ive been searching for the builder in Savannah for months. "Tommy Loggins"
This is what is says
400sbc rotating assy w / block
.030 kb hypertecic pistons
scat h-beam 5.7 rods
scat 4130 steel crank
speed pro moly rings
clevite h series bearings
8" balancer w new flexplate

I purchased a new b@m flxplate for a sbc 168t ext balanced 400. I had it installed the same way the old one came off. I dont have bad harmonics just slight at @ 50mph and with all the other issues w/ leaks and not being able to set the timing and loose belts i am assuming that there is dryrot in the balancer. Ive had to replace almost every single gasket on the car. It did sit for 3 years. I cant find a single person who can get a starter to last for more than 6 cranks or so. SO i did some googling which is apparently also dangerous and it kinda points to a bad harmonic balancer. It this is the case could it move the crank enough to kick out these high torque mini starters? Sorry for my ignorance ive only been in this a few months and altho i have learned a lot i cannot afford to learn the hard way.