harmonic balancer installation - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2013, 12:34 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1 View Post
It comes back to what I always say....TRUST NOBODY. Measure everything for yourself before assembly. The interference between the crank snout and the I.D. of the damper hub is only about one/one-thousandth of an inch ideally, but if the machine operator was hung over the morning he cut the hole in the hub, it could easily be off by several thousandths.

Measure the crank snout. Measure the hub bore. Subtract.

Assuming the bore is OK, put the damper into a pan of water on the stove and let it simmer for at least half an hour. During this time, put some small chunks of dry ice loosely in a plastic bag and wrap the bag around the crank snout. Cooling the snout will reduce the diameter. Heating the damper will increase the diameter of the hub bore. When done properly, you should be able to shove the damper home with a "THUNK" without the use of tools to press it on. Then, hold it there with a little pressure while the two metals get friendly with each other and lock up. Done.
dry ice, another thing that you can't buy in sweden
well, you can, but the closest place i know that sells it is about 3 hours away...

i'll pull it of again and compare it to the old balancer (when i saw it had spun i just threw it away, i didn't even think about comparing it to the new one )
if they are the same i'll try putting it in holy water (you boil the hell out of it ) and se if i'm able to get it on further

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2013, 12:46 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davex View Post
dry ice, another thing that you can't buy in sweden
well, you can, but the closest place i know that sells it is about 3 hours away...
Improvise, improvise, improvise. What is the next closest source of cold? The exhaust from a CO2 fire extinguisher!!!! I believe it comes out of the nozzle at somewhere around ( -70 C.). I do know that it will chill a six pack of beer to frosty drinking temperature in 30 seconds.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:58 PM
34 chevy truck 410 merc power

Last photo:

Yep...

Why not pull that balancer off. Then measure the snout, and measure the balancer. You can tell where the seal will ride. Don't make this to hard...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	i'll drink to that.png
Views:	30
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	92753  
Old 10-25-2013, 01:02 PM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davex View Post
In sweden unfortunately you can't rent tools like that, and they cost about $250 to buy, so that's the absolutely last resort.

I'll try boiling tomorrow and see if that works better, the hot air gun only get's so warm that it's uncomfortable to hold it without gloves...
Nowhere near 250 USD, look at Summit and get one sent to Sweden.

Ex. Performance Tool Harmonic Balancer Puller and Installer Sets W89711

$69.97 = 442.046 SEK

Freezing, boiling hammering......
Old 10-25-2013, 01:20 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
Yep...

Why not pull that balancer off. Then measure the snout, and measure the balancer. You can tell where the seal will ride. Don't make this to hard...
Measure where it is before you pull it off.

Measure the distance from the face of the balancer to the end of the crank snout. Then once the balancer is removed add that number to the measured distance from the end of the crank snout to face of the timing gear. If you're fully seated that number will be the same as the overall thickness of the balancer. Doing that you should be able to figure out if you were fully seated or not especially if you're off but a half inch.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:35 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malc View Post
Nowhere near 250 USD, look at Summit and get one sent to Sweden.

Ex. Performance Tool Harmonic Balancer Puller and Installer Sets W89711

$69.97 = 442.046 SEK

Freezing, boiling hammering......
to be fair, you have got a point, but on the other hand, the cheapest shipping option is $80, bringing the total up to $150, then there's the import tax of 30% which adds another $45, import taxation charge of $15, shipping from the customs office $20 bringing the final total to $230 (no i'm not joking or making up numbers), so ok, i exaggerated slightly when i said $250, but now very much
Old 10-25-2013, 02:22 PM
Google "Tunnel Ram 406"

Last photo:

This is what to look out for
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-25-2013, 08:06 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

If it is long, so you have a shop nearby that can chuck it up in a lathe and trim the shaft down? Wouldn't take 5 minutes.

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Old 10-25-2013, 11:24 PM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

Summit checkout tells me iParcel is available to Sweden.
Without the exact address the total I get is 201 USD = 1,275.00 SEK.
If I was to order that to Spain I´d be paying 165.10 USD.
I would have thought, as Sweden does have American cars, there would be tools available.
I have been getting parts from the States for twenty years now, usually the exchange rate was the problem but now the government is raising the import duties.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Harmonic_Sweden.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	92985  
Old 10-26-2013, 04:35 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malc View Post
Summit checkout tells me iParcel is available to Sweden.
Without the exact address the total I get is 201 USD = 1,275.00 SEK.
If I was to order that to Spain I´d be paying 165.10 USD.
I would have thought, as Sweden does have American cars, there would be tools available.
I have been getting parts from the States for twenty years now, usually the exchange rate was the problem but now the government is raising the import duties.
that's strange, i don't get the iparcel shipping option at all, doesn't matter if i log in to my account...
there is tools available to buy in sweden, but they cost an ridiculous amount of money, i have already checked with the 3 big companies that supply american car parts and tools and the cheapest option for buying such a tool would be $250 (that's why i said from the beginning that it would cost $250, i have bought quite a lot from summit, but due to the high shipping cost and high taxes in sweden you have to either ship the stuff in a container or be in the US in person and bring it with you on your flight home, otherwise you might end up saving a couple of dollars on it, but you'll have to wait for the stuff to arrive for ages)
Old 10-26-2013, 05:45 AM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Have you done the obvious and pulled it back off to look around? something askew orr behind it maybe?

Have you pulled your tool to make sure the nuts are not binding at the location the balancer has stopped preventing the tool from pushing it on further?
Old 10-26-2013, 08:42 AM

Last photo:

Boy, you guys in Sweden have it rough. Example. I ordered some diodes, LED's to be exact. Came from China. Total shipping cost was 4.95 cents. Sounds like when you order, you pay for everybody's wages along the way...
Old 10-26-2013, 11:40 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
Boy, you guys in Sweden have it rough. Example. I ordered some diodes, LED's to be exact. Came from China. Total shipping cost was 4.95 cents. Sounds like when you order, you pay for everybody's wages along the way...
Haha, well it's actually only this way when i order stuff from the United States, when i buy stuff from china i usually get free shipping on most of the stuff, i have never paid more than $1-2 for shipping from china, and that's the exeption, not the rule.

I think i know why this is though, i went to california, nevada and arizona this summer and before going home i ordered as much as would fit in my bags from summit, when it arrived the packaged was 75% filled with bubblewrap, so they were enormous. the shipping only cost me $25 for next day delivery via ground shipping, but imagine sending packages like that internationally via air...
Old 10-26-2013, 11:44 AM

Last photo:

Problem solved, it turned out that the place i bought the balancer had sent the wrong one, so after a very steamy phone call they agreed to send me a new one (at first they refused because i had tried to install the one they first sent me), it (amazingly) arrived this afternoon (same day they sent it, if you know anything about the swedish postal service you'll be aware that's nothing short of a miracle), greased it up and it slid into place without much trouble.

Thanks for all you'r help!
Old 10-26-2013, 12:03 PM

Last photo:

Now that is good news. Glad you got it. And yes, I see what you mean on the packages. Same thing when you are looking for any parts. You have to always check that shipping price...

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.