Harmonic Balancer, Installation Question. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2004, 10:58 AM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Harmonic Balancer, Installation Question.

Hey guys, enjoying your day off? Is it ok if I hammer the balancer on using a socket large enough to fit over the end of the crank? I wan't to put the new harmonic balancer on the crate motor(350 chevy) this weekend . I've been to every parts store in the area trying to get the tool to install it correctly. No One has one. I know hammering it on is not the right way, and I could get the tool from a friend during the week, but it's a nice weekend and I'd like to this motor in the car this weekend.

Thanks

Mike

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2004, 11:46 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Do NOT hammer it on!

Wait until you are able to get the correct installation tool. There will be many more pleasant days.
Old 06-12-2004, 12:27 PM

Last photo:

Think about this: One of my customers was in the same situation and decided to use the old hammer and block of wood install. He got the engine in the car and went cruising saturday evening. No problems, feeling good. Next day his dad comes over to his house and they decide to take the new engined car out for a run. Everything is great till they get out on the expressway and get into it a bit. The balancer had cracked from the improper install and as soon as the engine hit 5500, the balancer and lower pulley decided to exit. Thru the lower radiator,fan,shroud and then took a bite at the hood ! not a pretty site! The crank bolt/washer was broken off flush with the end of the crank. Front cover destroyed at the seal.
Old 06-12-2004, 12:37 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

Thanks Frisco and Bob thats exactly what I needed to hear.
Old 06-12-2004, 04:25 PM

Last photo:

Ok that all sounds very dramatic. What would you do when you have to replace a balancer and seal kit, due to an oil leak, on an early engine with no crank pulley bolt hole?
Old 06-12-2004, 09:36 PM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

rule of thumb

basic rule of thumb is if you bustin your hump their is probably a tool or procedure that makes it easier
take it from a toolaholic. happy motoring

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums
Old 06-12-2004, 10:37 PM

Last photo:

I used the hammer & board method for years with no problems, and will probably use it again on my old 283, but I much prefer an installer tool. I use a piece of 7/16 NF threaded rod, the stock balancer washer, a thrust bearing from an A/C clutch installer tool, a 7/16" washer, & a 7/16" NF nut, with plenty of grease on the threads.
Old 06-12-2004, 10:54 PM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

ouch

Ive beat a few on until i got on a 95?chevy 454 thought i had it until the belt chewed up within 5 minuets ouch i hate wrecking new parts

slowride66

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums
Old 06-13-2004, 02:31 PM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by club327
Ok that all sounds very dramatic. What would you do when you have to replace a balancer and seal kit, due to an oil leak, on an early engine with no crank pulley bolt hole?
I'd drill & tap the crank so that I could not only use the installation tool, but could also add the correct bolt and washer to hold the damper on.

A simple alignment drill guide can be made to slip over the end of the crank. This enables you to drill the hole on center and square.
Old 06-13-2004, 03:01 PM

Last photo:

haven't done it this way but a buddy bakes his in the oven at 250 degreesfor 15 minutes then out with oven mitts & on , finishing with the hardwood & hammer method. He says its easy!Persoanlly though I got mine started and with an extra long fine thread bolt pulled it in slowly as I didn't have room to hammer with rad clearance in the hot rod. Worked out ok.
Old 06-13-2004, 05:39 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by Frisco
I'd drill & tap the crank so that I could not only use the installation tool, but could also add the correct bolt and washer to hold the damper on.

A simple alignment drill guide can be made to slip over the end of the crank. This enables you to drill the hole on center and square.
Yeah in the perfect world! But let's get back to reality. The engine's in the car, not on the bench. There's no room for a drill due to the chassis. You don't have a tool to align the drill bit and don't have the time to make one up. How the hell did GM fit these things on the assembly line? What method does the original repair manual say to force the h/balancer on? I'm not trying to cause anything here. I believe that most balancers get whacked onto the crankshaft where there's no bolt hole in the crank and we don't hear from the majority of these. But all being well, I'd have a hole drilled whenever I could just so the balancer can be eased on the crank without any impact onto the shaft.
Old 06-13-2004, 10:44 PM

Last photo:

I recently read that the factory pressed them on before the engines were installed in the vehicles.

Be sure if you pound it on that you don't pound on the outer ring, because this would weaken the rubber between the outer ring & the hub. Pound only on the center hub, and only with a piece of wood protecting the hub from the hammer.

Last edited by jimfulco; 06-13-2004 at 10:50 PM.
Old 06-14-2004, 01:02 AM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

I would´nt put mine in the oven at 250 for 15mins surely that would affect the elastomar between the inner and outer ring.
Get an installer/remover from Summit cheaper in the long run.
Part G1025.
Old 06-14-2004, 03:18 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by club327
Yeah in the perfect world! But let's get back to reality. The engine's in the car, not on the bench. There's no room for a drill due to the chassis. You don't have a tool to align the drill bit and don't have the time to make one up. How the hell did GM fit these things on the assembly line? What method does the original repair manual say to force the h/balancer on? I'm not trying to cause anything here. I believe that most balancers get whacked onto the crankshaft where there's no bolt hole in the crank and we don't hear from the majority of these. But all being well, I'd have a hole drilled whenever I could just so the balancer can be eased on the crank without any impact onto the shaft.
I said that I'd make the tool to align the drillbit and the tap correctly.

If there is no room to drill the end of the crank due to the chassis being in the way; then there also wouldn't be enough room to pound the damper on. Remove the engine mounts and jack up the front of the engine to gain the clearance. Better yet, pull the engine out of the vehicle to do it correctly.

For one time only use, almost any material can be used. A second guide can be made for the tap. Just change the .391 hole to 7/16.

Last edited by Frisco; 06-14-2004 at 11:39 AM.
Old 06-14-2004, 08:36 AM

The heating method works GREAT. just sand everything perfectly smooth before hand, and make sureall is ready, and brass hammer or wood ready too. Heat in oven to 250- 300 for half an hour at least. (the melting point of the rubber is way higher) use a rag or wifes new oven mitts and QUICKLY AND WITH FORCE push it on. Then (also immediatly) start tapping with brass hammer or whatever till it snugs in. Sometimes it will shoove on and bottem out with just your hands! If all is smooth and bur and ridge free then do not even use oil. It transfers the heat too quickly. Never tried a dry teflon lubricant but that might be the real answer.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.