harmonic balancer size... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2003, 03:07 PM
Luv the smell of burnt RICE

Wiki Edits: 0

harmonic balancer size...

i opened up the new harmonic balancer i baught and relized its a bit smaller then mine.. and i don't mean outside diameter.. im talking about the thinkness.. there both 6 3/4 but ones thickness is 1 1/4" and the one on there is 1 3/4".. i don't think it makes a difference.. but wut im worried about is my pulleys.. are they gona be further in towards the motor now?? and won't line up with anything else.. also im running long style water pump.. which is brand new.. so is this the wrong balancer? should i get my money back? or trade it in? the only reason i baught one is because i banged it a bit when i was putting in my gear drive... is there a way to tell if the balancer is still good or if i ruined it? better off gettin my money back for a set push rods or somthin.. thanx for any replys
PS sbc 350

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2003, 03:15 PM
Hammer and a torch

Last photo:

First off the thickness is added by going to the rear of the engine not adding to the front of the balancer... Second and the main issue is never "beat" a harmonic balancer on with anything... There are installation tools for just that purpose, they us a special shaft with different bolt sizes to fit different cranks and utilize a bearing to allow the tool to spin independant from the balancer and not harm anything...

Also the larger the balancer the larger the mass and ability to control the harmonics produced by the rotating assy... If you have either a small cube engine or a balanced assy then you can use a smaller diameter balancer which has less weight... This is the reason for the large balancer with SBC 400`s...
Old 10-05-2003, 03:40 PM

Last photo:

Seems to me the 6 3/4" is made for 305 and the 8" are used on 350, the 400 is all by itself.
Old 10-06-2003, 02:19 AM

Last photo:

Some 350's have 6-3/4" ones. 8" ones were generally used on performance engines & trucks. The thin one may be a 305 part or maybe from an older engine.
Old 10-06-2003, 07:00 AM
Blue Jay Racing

Last photo:

Here are a few sizes and what they fit, from the SBC Interchange manual:

6 x 1 3/16 350
6 x 1 11/16 267, 305
8 x 1 350

The 305 "thick" balancers have the timing mark located differently on the balancer, so the timing cover/tab must match to use that balancer. Also, the 305 balancer is slightly hollow, so it doesn't have much more mass than the small 350 balancer.

Hope this helps.

-M
Old 10-06-2003, 07:15 PM

hmm ok.. well wut would be a better balancer for a mild 350 in a full size truck then?? i havent used the one i got yet and i got the receipt to trade it in.. but also im gona have to relocate my my timing tab? should i try this one i baught? wuts the worst that can happen?
Old 10-07-2003, 09:45 PM

anyone?? ok heres another idea.. if anyone has the time to help me all i wana no is on your small block 350 chevy.. can u measure your harmonic balancer width and length? and if your running a long style water pump.. if thats not to much to ask.. i really wana try to figure this out bye the weekend.. be just great when i get it all apart and find out this balancer aint gona work.. thanx again

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.