Harmonic balancer spacer - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2014, 12:24 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Harmonic balancer spacer

I cant seem to find any info regarding the use of the O.E. reluctor ring from 350 vortec motor as a spacer if reusing that balancer with different timing cover(standard one)Im just wondering if I just use a cut off wheel or saw and trim it down to lets say 1/2" wide then grind off and smoothen out to as best of a round shape I can and be ok.I just dont want or know if this isnt perfect if it will create a imbalance.I didnt see any listed at parts vendors for this either.Other question is does it matter or what differences are there to using the smaller standard like balancer v.s. the o.e vorteck larger diameter dampner?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2014, 04:52 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Why not just look in the Summit or Jeg's on line catalogs for a spacer - using the terms 'harmonic balancer spacer' or 'pulley spacer'. There are a bunch of different versions available. They are probably sized correctly for your needed length and diameter as well as bolting arrangement and wont affect balance. I just ordered one for the after market, SFI approved balancer last night to replace the inadequate claptrap supplied for my TFS balancer. There are several that are listed.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:50 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child View Post
Why not just look in the Summit or Jeg's on line catalogs for a spacer - using the terms 'harmonic balancer spacer' or 'pulley spacer'. There are a bunch of different versions available. They are probably sized correctly for your needed length and diameter as well as bolting arrangement and wont affect balance. I just ordered one for the after market, SFI approved balancer last night to replace the inadequate claptrap supplied for my TFS balancer. There are several that are listed.
I only seen ones for the outside of the dampners, hence my thread. U do realize I'm talking about inside timing cover in between the balancer and gear?
Old 03-28-2014, 01:29 PM

Last photo:

Unless the harmonic balancer you have is brand new, I would just buy a new one with the correct length snout. A new one can be had for less than $40.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:36 PM
More for Less Racer

You can't do it with a hand grinder, it has to be dead flat and dead parallel. Lathe, mill or tool room surface grinder.

You could cut it off longer than needed with the cut-off wheel and then machine it flat on a milling machine or surface grinder.

Won't be a vibration issue, but if it isn't flat so the balancer torques up flat against it, engine vibration will wiggle the balancer and loosen or break the bolt and hammer the keyway in the crank.... similar to what happens when balancer bore is a loose fit on the crank snout
Old 03-28-2014, 01:54 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnova72 View Post
You can't do it with a hand grinder, it has to be dead flat and dead parallel. Lathe, mill or tool room surface grinder.

You could cut it off longer than needed with the cut-off wheel and then machine it flat on a milling machine or surface grinder.

Won't be a vibration issue, but if it isn't flat so the balancer torques up flat against it, engine vibration will wiggle the balancer and loosen or break the bolt and hammer the keyway in the crank.... similar to what happens when balancer bore is a loose fit on the crank snout
It's already flat and was used before? It's the o.e vortec rely get pickup ring for the crank sensor. I heard if u want to use o.e shorter snout balancer that u can make or reuse ring, just cut it down/smaller for clearance. But all said and down never did this b4. Also if there's no benefit in useing that balancer v .s smaller ones then will just use other smaller one I have, if all things work for clearance under hood when I get motor in.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:56 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMC boogie View Post
Unless the harmonic balancer you have is brand new, I would just buy a new one with the correct length snout. A new one can be had for less than $40.
I have both just not sure yet which one to use, room permitting. Plus looking for answers on benefits or cons of each size.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:07 PM
More for Less Racer

Sorry about my above post, just disregard...I read it wrong...I thought you wanted to cut a piece off another balancer to replace the Vortec ring.

If this isn't a real hi performance engine, you could use the smaller balancer...just make sure you get the TDC/timing pointer/balancer line all matched up. You might have to buy or fab the correct pointer depending on the year of your other balancer.

If you have decent mechanical ability and a pair of calipers to keep the ground down Vortec ring close to the same wall thickness all around (within .010-.015" would be close enough) you could grind it's outside diameter smooth on a bench grinder. Difference in balance would be so small as to not even affect anything.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.