Hot Rod Forum banner

Harness help..

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  curly5759 
#1 ·
I have 2 projects that will need harnesses, I have wired my own before but it just isn't as clean as a kit with labeled wires. I have heard that painless really isn't that great and when I flip through the zines I find TONS of companies making kits..

So what's the concensus on these things?

BTW one is for a 57 chevy wagon (4 door)

one is for a 63 Scout (off road toy so add winch, cb, lots of other accessories)

#4 · (Edited)
complete harness, not engine though - it has it's own harness. Something with an 18 circuit fuse block.

kinda funny, that place doesn't even recomend themself..

Where can I get a harness for my Street Rod or Roadster or Race Car?

For Race Cars, Roadsters, Street Rods and Custom Wire kits we recommend American Auto Wire. There extensive line of do-it-yourself kits are the best we've seen. They can be reached at (800) 482-WIRE.

A little pricey but this looks good for my 57

http://www.americanautowire.com/Products/cup.htm

Something pretty universal using would work fine for my Scout

I wonder how the "summitracing" ones are..

#5 ·
I used an EZ Wire system in my 57 Chevy 210 4 door wagon and it works great. It is a 21 circuit unit and they now run around 160.00. You do need a separate unit for the engine, the one unit takes car of it. I have installed 4 or 5 of these now and they are very easy for the novice, we did the 57 in a day and a half from the headlights to the taillights.

#8 ·
I used American Auto wire in my 59 chevy truck, and I am currently using (still installing) a painless wire kit in a 41 Cad street rod.

I had always heard good things about painless, but I'm not impressed. The quality of the wires is ok, as well as the fuse box, but the wiring instructions leave a lot to be desired. American autowire gave a complete schematic of the entire harness, had disconnects for each differnent harness (engine, dash, rear lights , etc) Overall, a much nicer set up. I wish I had spent a little more money and gotten a better kit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.