Has anybody got cruise(ship) tips? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Off-Topic
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2005, 01:31 PM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

Has anybody got cruise(ship) tips?

At the end of September, the Mrs. and me (as well as her folks) will be taking a cruise out to Nassau for a much needed 3 night vacation. Have any of you guys ever been there? This will be my first cruise, and since there probably won't be a car on the ship, I'll need some pointers on what to go see and do. Her dad is retired Navy (24 years) and this is a "ship's reunion" cruise. Very loose stucture for activities I guess for the Mrs. and me. I can't swim, sink like a brick LOL!. She's a fish. Life is soo not fair.

The best part of the trip for me is that I get to drive all night long for 2 nights. I love to drive at night. Even if it'll be in a Ford Windstar. We plan to get to the Daytona area early Thursday morning so we can hit the speedway for a track tour. We need to be to the ship by noon Friday, so its a full day to do whatever prior to doing that. Any thoughts on what to do besides cruise hwy A1A?

In a while, Chet.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2005, 01:41 PM
Come Home Safe Soldier

Last journal entry: Headers
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

It has been a few years since we w ent down there. My wife is from Daytona and we went to find her old house.Went to the parks she went t o as a kid and had a good time. There is a lighthouse,somthing like Ponce de Pointe or something like that not too far south of Daytona. It was really cool. There is an awsome boardwalk and a piuer in Daytona. The pier is lame,the boardwalk is cool.There is an awsome place to eat there called Charlie Horse's,it is a bar and grille. Awsome food. There was also some nicer places we ate at,but I like burgers better than steak.
Old 08-28-2005, 03:50 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Cruise ship tip #1...................Don't go with your inlaws...................have a good time, wish I could afford a cruise, but I am too much of a land lubber...............
Old 08-28-2005, 04:25 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

My wife and I have started a cruise vacation fund, let me know how you like your cruise, Schnitz. I like the idea of a Bahamas cruise. Dan
Old 08-28-2005, 05:35 PM

Last journal entry: 52 truck
Last photo:

We wnt on a cruise about 20+ years ago.
Dont book island tours, they suck. Ride around 80mph in a beater wagon thats hot as heck looking at old huts.

Should be planty to do on the ship. We had skeet shooting, 3 pools, movie theatre, all night clubs, dancing, costume partys, stores, gambling and tons more. Have fun. Rod

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?action=view&journalid=2415[/url]

Hemmies rat journal below.

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?s=f6d0e9c7fec644bb0a70761c0431939b&journalid=84231&action=view[/url]
Old 08-28-2005, 07:07 PM
Old Salt

Last photo:

Bring lots of cash, everthing else above "all inclusive" costs.

Dutch
Old 08-28-2005, 09:41 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62
Cruise ship tip #1...................Don't go with your inlaws...................have a good time, wish I could afford a cruise, but I am too much of a land lubber...............

Thought about that lonnnggg and hard before agreeing to go. I figured though that I've taken Dawn to the Lowes Motor Speedway, a few race shops, Erie PA, and most recently to Columbus to support an automotive addiction, I should at least do something she wants. It's a pretty cheap trip when you split the fuel costs. Besides, like I posted earlier, Daytona is right on the way....

In a while, Chet.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:08 PM
im on a highway to hell

Last journal entry: new wheels and seats
Last photo:

the wife went on a (girlsweekend) criuse last month she had a blast and the food is included you pay for your booze and she said beer was $4.50 and mixed drinks were like $7-8 bucks.

have a good time
Old 08-29-2005, 07:56 AM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:

Did a Carnival Cruise to Nassau 3 years ago. I didn't really care for it. Maybe wasn't long enough?

Here's the run down from our escursion.
Boarding ship takes about 3-4 hours .
Ship doesn't leave until about 5:30 / 6:00
You ALL meet at your designated space for a life jacket drill. Everyone is hearded into the room, shoulder to shoulder, and stand like cattle until everyone on board is in their respective meeting room. (Takes about an hour)
Rooms are the size of a handicapped toilet stall
Rooms are at the center of the boat, 1 flight of stairs above/below any fore/aft decks, so to go to the back of the boat, you go 1/3 way down the boat, up or down a stair case, through the room corridor, up/down another flight of stairs .
At around 8pm, everyone is hearded into the front of the ship for an informational meeting. Forgot what it was for, other than a welcome aboard meeting.
Next evening was a "what to do, what NOT to do in Nassau" meeting. Ys, it was worth it.
When we went to Nassau, you looked like a Sirloin Steak to these people. They were CONSTANTLY begging or trying to sell you stuff. DO NOT BUY WATER FROM THEM!!! They pick the bottles from the trash, and resell them to you, after they fill them from the land spigots that the ships hook up to.
They are a royal pain in he arse! We hit some resort over there that Michael Jackson stays at. Pretty cool aquariums, but TONS OF WALKING. You defiantely want tot stay with your group. The public beaches are nothing but a free for all. Your dollar vs the locals trying to do whatever to get it. They even have 3 year olds trying to sell you beads, or fans.
(If I were to go there again, I would fly directly to the all inclusive resort!)
When you disembark the ship, it takes all morning, so forget about doing anything your last day. You meet around 9am, and leave the ship at 1:00

There is soda/water in your room. If you open it, they charge you for it. They also clean your room out every day, including your $4.00 soda.

On the POSITIVE side, the wait staff is incredible. They are at your beckon call. Very few, if any Americans. They bust their butt to cater to you. A little extra tip goes a long way here. Food is great. Drinks get costly !!

I'm not trying to discourage you, but clue you in so you are prepared. I had all these visions of grandeur. So I was disappointed. We seemingly spent 1/2 the trip in meetings of some kind.

I had a MUCH better time at Caesars Poconos Resort. We went there 4 times, and had a blast each time. Gonna do it again this fall.

Either way, have a great time and enjoy it. The meetings seem like a PITA, but they are there for a reason.

Jeff
Old 08-29-2005, 05:03 PM

Last photo:

Thanks Jeff. Now I'm really looking forward to this trip...at least the drive isn't going to be a total waste. Close, it will be done in a Ford minivan after all. Is it possible to sleep the whole time? BTW, we have an outside room, near an elevator.

In a while, Chet.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:08 AM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:

Chet,
I only told ya so you were prepared. Its not that bad. It WOULD be if you were expecting to park your keister by the pool and be fed drinks the whole time. (like I was) Now that you KNOW whats coming, you can enjoy the trip. No rotten suprises. All pleasant ones! Boats make women horney.....gotta go make reservations myself !!
Old 10-04-2005, 03:49 PM

Last photo:

We just got back today. We had a blast. The room size didn't affect us too much. We didn't spend much time there anyway. The food was beyond belief. Service was great, WAY BETTER than anything we've ever had. I just wish I had seen where the wife said one lady pulled her keycard out of ! I can't believe I missed it. LOL!

As a side note, I thoughorly loved driving over Mounteagle (?? on the spelling), Tennessee. Atlanta and Nashville at 90+ were fun too. I drove like 11 hours of the total 26 back. All late evening and totally dark. I'm totally burned like a well done steak. Glad I'm off tomorrow, too.

In a while, Chet.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:10 PM

Last photo:

Now you know why the call I285, in Atlanta, the Watermelon 500.

Larry
Old 10-05-2005, 09:12 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldknock
Now you know why the call I285, in Atlanta, the Watermelon 500.

Larry

Heh Heh Heh!! My Mother-in-law was flipping out. She wouldn't even look out the side windows. Her dad just asked why I was passing a squad at 85 mph. There's some nice country down south, but this Yankee isn't moving just yet....

In a while, Chet.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:05 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

Wish I'd see this before you went...
There is a "Dolphin Encounters" thing that I really enjoyed (being a Prairies boy).

You're pretty much guaranteed to gain some weight on a cruise ... even a short one like that.

We left from Port Canaveral and sailed on "the Dolphin" (?)
This was our second cruise, and it paled a little in comparison to the Western Carribean cruise on the (then new) Norweigan Cruise Lines M/S Seaward.

Cocoa Beach is great. We also went out to Kennedy Space Center ... in fact that was the highlight of the whole Disney World / Cocoa Beach / Bahamas Cruise vacation.

We got to see a night launch of Endeavor ... which is just an awesome spectacle! You wanna talk horsepower! You could read a newpaper from where we were watching, about 12 miles away near Jetty Park / Cruise terminals. The location was just at the south entry gate to the AFB.

Anyway, it sounds like you had a safe and enjoyable holiday, too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.