Has anyone adapted a Mopar trans to Chevy engine? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2009, 02:53 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase, track width, and differential measureme...
Last journal entry: Upper P/S bracket made
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Has anyone adapted a Mopar trans to Chevy engine?

Ok, Here is the deal. On my quest to stick a 383 SB Chevy engine in my '85 Ram, i have had to choose a transmission. Now my initial thoughts of a TH350 or 700R4 are what i was to this point looking at.....

Option 1. I really wanted a stick trans (truck has the pedals i installed a couple years ago.). While not ideal ratios, i always liked the overdrive 4-speed 833 trans for use----it actually wouldnt be to far off from a 700r4 trans. Now it seems to me, if i bought a steel bellhousing (scattershield) for the Chevy, i could either drill/tap new mounting holes or weld a plate onto the bell for adaptation of the Chrysler trans. Also seem to recall someone actually made a specific bellhousing for just a swap. Clutch linkage would be easy enough to fab, but im willing to bet most of the Chrysler stuff would bolt right in. I haven't looked, but i assume a 400 SB chevy flywheel is readily available and fairly inexpensive---(compared to $250-350 for a mopar flywheel).

Option 2. Chrysler 904 automatic. Just for kicks, if any of you ever looked at a Chrysler trans VS a GM trans, i think you might be shocked at the beefiness of the Chrysler. Now i am by no means a trans genius, but i have built more than a few Chrysler trans when i worked in the dealership and on the side. I personally think they are way easy to build compared to what i have seen from GM---but i guess thats debatable.

So how do you get a Mopar auto to a GM engine? Well, my idea---again using a steel scattershield-- is to follow what JW performance trans did and replace the front "bell housing" area on the trans with an adapter made from a scattershield. For those of you not familier with the process, the trans is cut even with the front pump, and the "shield" is bolted to the front of the pump using a little longer bolt. Unfortunatly, JW makes an adapter for almost any combo except what i want to do. And any adapter i Have actually found is almost $500. But really, once the depth is right for the converter, why wouldnt it work? Seems to me you can drill a new pattern in the flexplate to bolt the 4 bolt Chrysler converter to.

So what do you say, i dont see any real drawbacks of what i want to do, just keeping everything measured properly, and centered for runout would seem most important.

Advertisement

Last edited by 383ram; 03-08-2009 at 02:59 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2009, 03:23 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

You could buy a 1985 Chevy truck with a blown engine for less money than all the pieces to swap are involved I'm willing to bet.
AND you could resell the 1985 Chevy truck more easily as well with a SBC in it.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:42 PM

Last photo:

82 to 87 Chevy trucks were available with a T833, Chevy bolt pattern, that will bolt right up.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:23 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Mopar Guy
You could buy a 1985 Chevy truck with a blown engine for less money than all the pieces to swap are involved I'm willing to bet.
AND you could resell the 1985 Chevy truck more easily as well with a SBC in it.
Where is the fun in that---you must be one of those purists. What about some old fashioned hotrod engineering?

I have measured up a 700r4 and 350, and along with the engine, they will pretty much endup in the same space as the stock mopar stuff---just whip up a few mounts and good to go. Infact, if i do go with the 700r4, i can use the engine and trans chrysler isolators to boot, and not cut the stock driveshaft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjenjo
82 to 87 Chevy trucks were available with a T833, Chevy bolt pattern, that will bolt right up.
Well now, i did not know that. That would certianly make things easy if all else was equal on lengths and what not. I'll have to see if i can find one of those.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:26 PM

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Wiki Edits: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383ram
Option 2. Chrysler 904 automatic. Just for kicks, if any of you ever looked at a Chrysler trans VS a GM trans, i think you might be shocked at the beefiness of the Chrysler. Now i am by no means a trans genius, but i have built more than a few Chrysler trans when i worked in the dealership and on the side. I personally think they are way easy to build compared to what i have seen from GM---but i guess thats debatable.
Chrysler actually made an automatic transmission that has a CHEVROLET bell and DIRECTLY bolts to any motor that has a Chevrolet bolt pattern. They are found in some AMC and JEEP products behind 4 cylinder motors. However the same transmission (with a different case) was also used with 360cid Chrysler motors so there are lots of parts available to upgrade from a light duty 4cyl version to a beefier V8 version. You may need a custom built converter as I don't think a normal V8 converter will fit the bell or flex plate.

Best bet is to find the 4cyl first, then find a V8 about the same year and swap parts. Since you have built lots of 904s in the past, this should be a snap for you.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:34 PM

Last photo:

Holy cr_p, you mean there is a case out there like i am imagining? Yes, internal swapage of parts SHOULD be a snap--providing chrysler still followed the rules and never changed basic parts. The 383 i am building is a low rpm motor emphising torque and midrange---just like stock---but alot more.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:44 PM

Chrysler never changed much in the 904s except for updates, so most parts in any given year bracket will fit any 904 with the proper TLC.

The pump is 6-1/4" long compared to the normal 6-3/8" from the late 60s up (6-1/2" in early 60s). Input has 23 splines instead of the "normal" 26 or 27. Pretty much everything else is normal 904.

Found in 1980-1983 AMC/JEEP products.

Last edited by mmerlinn; 03-08-2009 at 04:54 PM.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:50 PM

Last photo:

Would that be in the 2.5 4 cyl jeeps?
Old 03-08-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Would that be in the 2.5 4 cyl jeeps?
Yes, 151L4-25 engines.

Link to more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...using_patterns
Old 03-08-2009, 05:39 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the info. Now just need to way my options.

Obviously they lightend the capacity for the 4 cyl jeep as far as spline count and whatnot on the front pump. So i'd be unsure on the strength---remember the early 700r4's? I also would imagine i would HAVE to use that converter too, Which may stall higher behind a 383---not sure on size or specs----but it seems it would drop into the v-8 as far fitment as the snout on the chevy converter is about .100" smaller than the true chrysler one--provided the 2.5 used the same crank pilot size as its bigger v8 siblings.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:08 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmerlinn
Chrysler actually made an automatic transmission that has a CHEVROLET bell and DIRECTLY bolts to any motor that has a Chevrolet bolt pattern. They are found in some AMC and JEEP products behind 4 cylinder motors. However the same transmission (with a different case) was also used with 360cid Chrysler motors so there are lots of parts available to upgrade from a light duty 4cyl version to a beefier V8 version. You may need a custom built converter as I don't think a normal V8 converter will fit the bell or flex plate.

Best bet is to find the 4cyl first, then find a V8 about the same year and swap parts. Since you have built lots of 904s in the past, this should be a snap for you.
quite true on the chevy bell on the 904 mopar trans

here is a photo from my gallery of the 904 Mopar transmittin

Old 03-08-2009, 06:12 PM

Last photo:

Crosley, do you know if the smaller splines on the pump as far as strength will be any issue and if the converter would definatly bolt up to the v-8 and flexplate?
Old 03-08-2009, 06:48 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

AMC used GM 4cyl's in the early 80's... you would have to get a pre '86 Jeep/ AMC 2.5L trans ( IIRC they made there own for '87, same year the 4.0 came out) as that will be the Chevy bell...

Of course, if it were mine, I would find a Mopar 383 or 440 big block, and use that.. cause with mounts from a 440 powered truck from the 70's, it'll bolt right into your truck..
Old 03-08-2009, 07:01 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Where is the fun in that---you must be one of those purists. What about some old fashioned hotrod engineering?
Nope, just trying to steer you down the "logical" path and save you money.
Unless you absolutely LOVE the looks of a 1985 Dodge truck, which is what starts MOST "hotrod engineering" projects....

Good luck!
Old 03-09-2009, 07:02 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosley
quite true on the chevy bell on the 904 mopar trans

here is a photo from my gallery of the 904 Mopar transmittin

Are these the 60* or 90* Chevy bell pattern?

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.