Has anyone ever had sealer turn into wrinkle paint before? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2006, 08:31 AM
Car Nut

Wiki Edits: 0

Has anyone ever had sealer turn into wrinkle paint before?

Hi, I was wondering if anyone ever had sealer turn into wrinkle paint. This is new to me. I sprayed some Omni MP213 GP Sealer Gray onto a hood for a 58 Impala I'm painting and I let it sit for the weekend. I came back this morning and there was a spot on the hood that looked like wrinkle paint. Has anyone got any ideas how this happened. The time before this that I sprayed the same sealer on it, it had cracks in the sealer after it dried that looked like fisheye, only cracks, because I could see the primer below in the cracks. If you can help, let me know. Thanks a lot.

-Joey Summers

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2006, 08:40 AM
... & Insanity Ensues .....

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

epoxy primer shrinks as it dries, the 58 is painted w/ lacquer paint, and since lacquer paint is forever soft, it slid along the surface of the car like a throw rug

the cracks are wheer the lacquer "gave way" under the tension of the primer

@ the dealership i was forced to take care of a 50's ford that belonged to the bosses buddy, the boss decided to do the repair, then bailed on the job after this same thing happened .....

lacquer primer after resanding, or strip everything and epoxy primer the whole panel
Old 02-06-2006, 11:07 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,128 Times in 1,001 Posts
Roller, if that were the cause it would wrinkle more places being the lacquer is everywhere, I would think.

It is also likely because the sealer wasn't completely flashed when the color was applied. Joey, think back, could the sealer have been a little wetter there? Is it at a point where your coats or gun passes could have been multiplied.

Brian
Old 02-06-2006, 11:17 AM
... & Insanity Ensues .....

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

the way i understood the question, he primered the hood before leaving for the weekend, and no color had yet been applied over it

came back on monday to find the primer wadded up like used tin foil ....

i know that old ford i had to fix was the only time we had any problems with the 271 we were using. the boss MADE me continue to fix the door w/ the 271 epoxy primer too ...

spray
let dry
sand out the new cracks and wrinkles
respray
repeat repeat repeat

the only places it would bunch or crack were where there was still lacquer paint ...
Old 02-06-2006, 11:50 AM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

I had the same problem with a dragster body using Nason 2k sealer over a Nason base.
The base was dry,24 hr, and had some cut thru's in the primer that sucked the base up and instead of putting more base,decided to seal it. BIG MISTAKE. I shot the sealer,1 med coat, 2-3 hr flash,it looked & felt dry anyway,laid the new base and it wrinkled in several spots.
This is just the beginning but I'll not go into ALL of this nightmare but the bottom line came down to the sealer had not cured and everything laid on top of it just rewetted and wrinkled.
I believe it's just the fact that it's cold and paint just takes a LOT longer to dry even keeping the shop 70*. That and IMO sealer is crap period.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:31 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

i used the same primer on my truck, when shooting the hood, i noticed it was wrinkling and pulling before it had time to flash completely.... I let it dry good, sanded it back off, then degreased the metal better than i did the first time. (i thought i was doing a good job...???) made for no more wrinkles.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.