Has anyone ever heard of this? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2005, 08:01 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Has anyone ever heard of this?

A buddy has a chevy (pickup) with 454. He recently installed a Mallory Comp 9000 Dizzy with a new coil. After setting the timing he cranked it up and it idled real nice. But, after putting it in gear and stepping on the gas it started to cut out and backfire out the tailpipe. I told him it sounded like it was probably running too rich, so he checked / re-adjusted the carb but it made no difference-idled fine, but taking off it did the same thing. He thought maybe it was the distributor, maybe the module. But he tried one thing. When he installed the coil, he mounted it flat - in a horizontal position. So he moved it and mounted it straight up, and then it ran great - just screams. He said someone told him that the oil in the coil can't move up around the top side when it's laying flat. I thought it sounded crazy, but what do I know? I mean it seemed to cure the problem. Has anyone ever heard of this happening when the coil is mounted horizontally?
Marc.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2005, 09:03 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

that will do it, there designed for vertical mounting and only that. When it is idiling it dosen't need much power to the plugs, so it idles great but when the spark curve changes as the RPM goes up, the coil becomes inefficen cannot keep up because the coil cannot produce the juice giving it a bad fuel burn.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:03 PM
L79 327 5SPD S10 '65GTO

Last photo:

Does that apply to epoxy coils as well?
Old 09-22-2005, 11:36 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

I have seen many coils mounted horizontally...................SB Fords, BB Chryslers...etc. I am sure it doesn't matter how you mount them.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:00 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Ditto w/ Poncho. I have seen them mounted flat on a lot of OEM cars. My Willys coil is flat and has been that way for 6 or 7 years. No problem. Sounds like an urban legend.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:17 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Coil

Doc here,

That makes about as much sense as :

"All coil mountings must be orientated to magnetic north to avail itself of the most cutting lines of force across the coil inductor in order to generate the absolute highest volume of spark..ALWAYS travel in a Northernly direction.."

(See....anybody can make BS sound gospel... )

Most likely, That coil was reverse wired, shorting on something, or the coil mount was not making a good ground contact..at the fender well..

Think about it..Were that the case, you could hold the coil up to your ear and shake it and hear the oil slosh around..you can't ...because it's oil FILLED..up over the top and no gaps..so why would it care how you mounted it..I've seen them mounted upside down...Old Beetle Volkswagen case in point, upsidedown on the fan blower..from the factory!

If that was a cowinkey dink...Homey may have a module going south..and for some reason it runs OK for now..
OR may have had a loose Coil wire cross-firing that righted itself in the move...

OR may even had a little grease or cleaner that shed itself from the new dizzy install after a few good revs...

My vette does this when I clean out the coil well and don't get all the cleaner out...drips down on the inside of the cap into the dizzy..idles fine, shakes like crazy under load,and backfires a few times until it dries out...

Tell the guy, "NO you Changed the phase angle of the electrons so the protrons were headed in a northernly direction..and the neutrons were headed south..luckily the didn't cross phase into queertrons..they blow fuses....

Doc

Sigh...just couldn't resist...
Old 09-23-2005, 08:08 AM
wind & fire = guides to power

Last photo:

As a side note...
When I was about 14 I thought I was going to make a "Jacobs ladder" using an ignition coil. I took two nails and hammerd them into a 2x4 making a V shape about 1/4" apart at the bottom and 2 1/2 - 3" wide at the top. I ran the wires to the nails and then hooked up a cut off fan cord for the power supply. I didn't think of mounting the coil, I just sat it on the car port floor. Well I plugged it into the wall and sure enough it made BIG yellowish/orange spakrs climb up the nails and start back at the bottom...in less than two passes of the spark the coil started vibrating and sounding mean. I didn't even unplug it, I just ran and in not time flat{3-4 seconds, maybe less} it blew up bigtime. The nastiest smelling oil/tar {way worse than burnt rear end grease} was everwhere. I didn't get burt but had a really toxic mess to clean up! True story!
...do you think it could have been b/c I just laid the coil there instead of mounting it up-right?
Actually I agree that the coil wires were reversed or a wire was either grounding out or loosing good connection.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:14 AM

Last photo:

according to the msd site mounting a coil not designed for horizontal mounting that way will affect it. the coil is not completley filled with oil, and when laid down some of the turns are uncovered and overheat causing problems.Again this is per msd so could be fact could be fiction.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:34 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXS
As a side note...
I ran the wires to the nails and then hooked up a cut off fan cord for the power supply. I didn't think of mounting the coil, I just sat it on the car port floor. Well I plugged it into the wall in less than two passes of the spark the coil started vibrating and sounding mean.True story!
...do you think it could have been b/c I just laid the coil there instead of mounting it up-right?
Doc here,

No...

It's because you ran 120 volts through a 12 volt inductive Primary winding...

effectively turning it into a heating element...

Actually it's a wonder it did not blow a fuse when you plugged it in to the wall..

AND had you picked the coil up, or touched the case... and the neutral wire was on the + side of the coil..you might not be making your post today...

Since the coil body is ground and the windings on the primary side were at least 100 times less than the total resistance needed to safely dissipate 120 volts to ground..You must have been pulling 25 amps or more through that circuit....It only takes 7/10 tenths of an amp to stop your heart...

Gotta be careful with that stuff...

Doc
Old 09-23-2005, 09:04 AM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnym17
according to the msd site mounting a coil not designed for horizontal mounting that way will affect it. the coil is not completley filled with oil, and when laid down some of the turns are uncovered and overheat causing problems.Again this is per msd so could be fact could be fiction.
What happens to all that oil when the car goes boucing down the road. Especially in a offroad vehicle?
Old 09-23-2005, 10:24 AM
wind & fire = guides to power

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by docvette
Doc here,

;;;;;;;

Gotta be careful with that stuff...

Doc
Yup, I didn't even take the chance of unplugging it, I just RAN!
Old 09-23-2005, 10:33 AM

Last photo:

really don't know just reiterating what I read in the trouble shooting section of the msd site.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.