Hot Rod Forum banner

Has anyone got torque specs for installing the 4l60e+....

32K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  mitcht2005 
#1 ·
Has anyone got torque specs for installing the 2000 4l60e to the 5.3L SLT engine, with np246 t/case. So many variations in specs out there .

transmission to the engine.
Flywheel to torque converter
Exhaust Manifold Bolts
heat shield to transmission.
transmission rear mount.
transmission cross member
Driveshaft- rear axle
Starter to engine

Thanks guys

#2 ·
old yukon said:
Has anyone got torque specs for installing the 2000 4l60e to the 5.3L SLT engine, with np246 t/case. So many variations in specs out there .

transmission to the engine.
Flywheel to torque converter
Exhaust Manifold Bolts
heat shield to transmission.
transmission rear mount.
transmission cross member
Driveshaft- rear axle
Starter to engine

Thanks guys
i havent used a torque wrench on these items ever as i do trans R&R for a living and just use my impact guns. 3/8" drive for everything except for the trans to the engine. and for that i use my 1/2" gun with a 3 ft extension. i zip it flush and give it a couple short bursts.
as far as the rear drive shaft, if its steel i use the 3/8" gun, if its aluminum, i tighten it by hand.
the heat shield that goes on the passenger side of the case, i just tighten by hand as well. maybe 15-20 ft lbs.
after 20+ years, i dont have anything come loose on me or do i have a problem with removal in case the trans has had to come back out

#3 ·
tnsmith10 said:
i havent used a torque wrench on these items ever as i do trans R&R for a living and just use my impact guns. 3/8" drive for everything except for the trans to the engine. and for that i use my 1/2" gun with a 3 ft extension. i zip it flush and give it a couple short bursts.
as far as the rear drive shaft, if its steel i use the 3/8" gun, if its aluminum, i tighten it by hand.
the heat shield that goes on the passenger side of the case, i just tighten by hand as well. maybe 15-20 ft lbs.
after 20+ years, i dont have anything come loose on me or do i have a problem with removal in case the trans has had to come back out
Pretty much what I do as well.

If you are concerned though you can look up the bolt size, TPI/Pitch, and the grade of the bolt to get the general torque specs. Plenty of charts on the internet.

#4 ·
I wish i had the the sense of knowing when it is just tight enough, I don't have the 20 - 30 years experience in bolting up stuff on a car.

You guys are are like the head chef who never follows a recipe, I'm like the apprentice chef, who measures and weighs everything.

I think i have a about ten year to go before I throw away my torque wrenches, verni calipers, and feeler gauges.

I just check hunting till I find the torque specs, or use blue and red locktite on everything LOL !!!

#5 ·
Practice makes perfect. If you are working on something where you have time simply mess around with your wrenches, ratchets, and air tools while following with the torque wrench. It really helps give an idea of what amount of force does what.

After a while you can tell what your impact is doing by sound, and feel. Same goes for wrenches, and ratchets. You can feel it tightening. You can even feel the bolt stretching! The worst part is adjusting your force based on the leverage of the tool. Well, that and if you are messing with stuff like aluminum, or stainless. Yuck.

Unless we hit a time warp, it isn't possible for me to have anywhere near 30 years experience. :sweat:

Oh, after you figure it out you can start betting people you can tighten something within a certain range! Easy money! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.