Has anyone heard of gregg allred shop is "oldschool hp"?! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2012, 06:08 PM

Last journal entry: Starting the build, 333ci chev, 195 cc jegs heads
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Has anyone heard of gregg allred shop is "oldschool hp"?!

There is a guy in anoka mn that claims he had a shop in the oc in cali he is named gregg allred. The shop in mn is called "oldschool horsepower". Has anyone heard of this guy? Dealt with him, or know anyone who has done work with him? he had a video he showed with a z doing a high 9 he claimed it was a l28 with 50mm webbers (claiming to be an old car of his he did up). I am trying to find if he is a reputable person. I have a 327 i need some work done to.

Everyone I know around town has never used him nor do they know anyone who has. He has beeen in mn for "3 years" according to him.

Please help!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2012, 08:07 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Why don't you just ask him for references? If he's as hot as he claims, he'd be happy to brag himself up.

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Old 01-07-2012, 11:13 PM
bentwings

Last photo:

There are a number of good builders here in Minn. Randy Qualm out in Eagan, Wheeler up in Blain and Al Tschida of gasser fame Tschida auto off lexington and co rd d St.Paul. These guys have been around here since time began.

I don't think I'd expect "some magical build" out of anyone. A motor is a motor. Put together correctly with common sense parts and you will have a fine long lasting piece. Surely don't expect the "famed 327" to run the living daylights off a good 383 or 407 sbc. Cu in rule.

I agree with 68... ask to see the data. Which you are doing here.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:22 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: mopar hump back
Last photo:

Referances

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68NovaSS
Why don't you just ask him for references? If he's as hot as he claims, he'd be happy to brag himself up.

68 novas right if hes good and he did run a shop he should have a list like a book if he doesn't hes pulling your leg ! And theres nothing wrong with 327s stroked 383s are every where its good to see a high reven 327

Last edited by painted jester; 01-07-2012 at 11:30 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:43 AM

Last photo:

i suppose the three of you are right. I am just getting a but stressed out at this point from the build. the last motor i put together was a bread and butter motor. I built a 383 just like everyone else does, so it was very easy to just do myself. There are some things I am coming down to here that are getting a bit complex. also the last motor i built was for a mid engine street car. So hook was not really complex. It really was cookie cutter build. While building a higher revving 327 for a road race car is a little a lot different.

I didn't want to offend the guy by asking him for proof of him being legit. I also wanted to ask around to see if anyone heard of him first. I got a hold of all my friends not one had an experience with him (out of 38 people in mn that do car stuff). I had 3 people that heard OF him which is entirely different. he has only been around here for 3 yrs though.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:11 AM
bentwings

Last photo:

Well I looked him up in the Line Chaser and the MSRA yearbook which has 20,000 + listings and I didn't see him there. It's like a large phone book for those who don't know. Lists all or most of the hotrodders members of Minn Streetrod Assoc. Not everyone is a member and not all businesses are listed but if you want to get to the local rodders it's pretty cheap advertising. Al Tschida was the only one listed.

If you are road racing you might want to look up the local autocross groups. I think there are 2 and they are pretty serious groups. I've lost contact as they probably would not even let me drive around the track. haha You will have to search Google.

I'll ask around and see if there are any road race guys among us here on the south side.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:05 PM

Last photo:

Much appreaciated. So you must know troy at andover wheel then i take it? There is another guy named tom nylen recommended by Kenny madden up in andover. Nylen is located in brooklyn park. That is on my a way to work. I didn't know tom still lived in mn - I am acquaintances of his via madden from about 10 or so years ago. I gave him a call today- sounded happy to hear from me. Albeit i would love to meet up with your autocross groups that you know of up here in the mn. I didn't even know there was any.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:23 PM

Last photo:

i asked him for references this is what he said

"i have been in business for 23 years i worked for gm Hiiperformance division and nismo for 3 years and contracted threw brunswick for mercy marnie for the offshore performance boat most of clientele i have is because i was a private business for select clientele now i have been open to the public for three years in this location. i would try to talk you into using my service if you are not comfortable with it because i am not in the gossip train , blogging and asking question is good but there are opinionated people so quick to be bi-est .. people. i keep my name out those rings i'm am small time but i do business with clients in 7 different states and two different countries that use me for my service or designs.. i appreciate you stopping. Troy betcher at andover wheel's service writer is my brother's fiance. andrea."
Old 01-09-2012, 08:44 PM

There are a number of good builders here in Minn.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:29 AM
Race The Truck

Last journal entry: Son's Truck
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blight
There is a guy in anoka mn that claims he had a shop in the oc in cali he is named gregg allred. The shop in mn is called "oldschool horsepower". Has anyone heard of this guy? Dealt with him, or know anyone who has done work with him? he had a video he showed with a z doing a high 9 he claimed it was a l28 with 50mm webbers (claiming to be an old car of his he did up). I am trying to find if he is a reputable person. I have a 327 i need some work done to.

Everyone I know around town has never used him nor do they know anyone who has. He has beeen in mn for "3 years" according to him.

Please help!
I did a search on the states web site! I did not find him listed as a business or his name on one! This from the states web site. It a little hard to find the info so I post the link
Also you can do the same search in CA to see if he in deed had a business You can also call the state city to make sure before you decide If he not lic you have know recourse to speak of.
https://www.pulseportal.com/Inquiry/...HistoryLevel=1
Old 01-10-2012, 02:13 AM

Last photo:

Gregg Allred

I will e-mail my friend from Anoka, he has been around since Moby Dick was a minnow. He makes a point to stop in to new shops and the like. He has been in MSRA since it started and knows people in all kinds of car circles.

He is in AZ now, but I will e-mail him now he will have it in the morning. We talk about once a week. I don't know him as I moved up here longer than that guy has been in town.

Bob
Old 01-10-2012, 03:20 AM
Race The Truck

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35terraplane
I will e-mail my friend from Anoka, he has been around since Moby Dick was a minnow. He makes a point to stop in to new shops and the like. He has been in MSRA since it started and knows people in all kinds of car circles.

He is in AZ now, but I will e-mail him now he will have it in the morning. We talk about once a week. I don't know him as I moved up here longer than that guy has been in town.

Bob
"i worked for gm Hiiperformance division and nismo for 3 years" Well this statment seem weird I'm not sure gm and nissan are working together that I found! Have know deal on the boat stuff but here is there site
http://www.nissanusa.com/nismo/ http://www.mercurymarine.com/
Old 01-10-2012, 03:32 AM
Race The Truck

Last photo:

Also this is out your way if he worked here! http://mercuryracing.com/
Did'nt find anything thing in Ca. But that was just a quick search! good luck hope this helps you out!!
Old 01-10-2012, 07:09 AM

Last photo:

I know troy troy boettcher - i am going to give him a call and update everyone when i get a chance on this shop and person.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:08 AM

Last photo:

Shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by blight
I know troy troy boettcher - i am going to give him a call and update everyone when i get a chance on this shop and person.
I know Troy's dad, Terry, and his uncle Doug, give them a call. The guy I e-mailed last night lives in Ramsey.

I lived in Ramsey for 20 + years.

Bob

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.