Has anyone here done an Electric Parking Brake? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2008, 10:43 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan59EC
Most of the cars/trucks that I have had---

Reverse will easily overpower the e-brake
Once in Drive----you go nowhere
I always release mine before trying to move a car.

But they are called....... PARKING brakes...... not, overcome reverse brakes.

(and if your drum parking brakes won't hold a car from rolling rearward when parked on a fairly steep hill...... your brakes are fubar)

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2008, 08:20 AM

Last photo:

Bryan,
reverse overpowers the P brake simply because R is a much lower tranny gear ratio than D and that multiples the motor TQ on the tires signifigantly...

BS numbers just to illustrate:

300ft/lbs of force x 2.46 first gear x 3.55rear gears = 2619ft/lbs of force on the P brake shoe

300ft/lbs x 3.90(?) reverse gear x 3.55 rear gears = 4153ft/lbs of force on the P brake shoe contact patch!!!!

Ripped,

check to see if you are not already at the end of the cables tightening adjustment (the funky threaded rod and nut where the cables are held by the cross piece) due to the cables are stretched or do stretch when pulled....
if yes then just add a bushing or oversized nut to act as a spacer in front of the nut against the cross piece to gain additional cables pre-tensioning tightening threads....

that will limit the handle travel alot,,,mine is fully engaged at just half the possible pull distance....

Last edited by red65mustang; 10-20-2008 at 08:38 AM.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:40 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

if mine does not engauge within 1/2 of the total distance on the handle/ pedal, I adjust it so it does...

and not every system is designed to work in reverse.. most do, but the particular system that Ford used on the Mustang/ falcon, at least the 6cyl 7/1/4 rears, is not designed to work in reverse.. it actully does not apply preassure in that motion. the brakes would have to be tight to begin with, for it to apply in reverse... remember Ford did have a problem with rollaway vehicles in this time period. and part of it was insufficent parking brakes.. the other part was popping out of park.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:51 AM

Last journal entry: Frame Basics
Last photo:

I am looking for a TRW electric Parking brake set up. It uses an additional small caliper on each rear wheel. As I understand, its very effective and you push a button on the dash to engage the brakes, pushing it again releases the brakes. To me this is new technology which has been a long time coming, cables are stone age.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.