Has anyone replaced the door skins on a 69 Camaro? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2009, 06:21 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,145 Times in 1,013 Posts
Read my post #9 again please. That tool will DESTROY a panel just as easy as any other tool. I have seen them used, it isn't a magic tool.

Read the "Basics" over and over and then print it out and tape it to the skin when you are doing it.

You will likely have some filler around the edges of the skin when you are done. I don't care what tool you use, there is likely going to be some filler used. If you take your time there will be none, but if there is a little, no big deal.

The thing is, if you are careful with the hammer and dolly and take your time you will have LESS damage than one of those tools. That tool FORCES the metal with no allowance for lack of skill. The hammer and dolly will ONLY do what you tell it to do. If you go slow you will do just fine.

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2009, 07:28 PM

Last photo:

cont..

Thanks Brian. I will read that carefully I just hope I don't mess up a panel. I thought about just buying the shell but I think transferring all the internal stuff would be more difficult than replacing the skin.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:38 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro freak
Thanks Brian. I will read that carefully I just hope I don't mess up a panel. I thought about just buying the shell but I think transferring all the internal stuff would be more difficult than replacing the skin.
Transfering all the components is a piece of cake compared to doing a skin.

But on the same note, the repro shells are JUNK. Working with the oem shell and a repro skin is better.

Brian
Old 05-20-2009, 08:12 AM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR

You will likely have some filler around the edges of the skin when you are done. I don't care what tool you use, there is likely going to be some filler used. If you take your time there will be none, but if there is a little, no big deal.
Brian
That is very true, I had some on the door I did, mainly to fill tooling marks, but that was far better than filling or repairing the rust hole in the lower front of the door.

Vince
Old 05-20-2009, 11:35 AM

Last photo:

cont..

Ok, so I just use hammer and dolly and go slow around door folding a little at a time. Thanks to all!
Old 05-20-2009, 11:45 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

thats right ,but dont forget what crash said in post #4 very,very good advice then get the hammer and dollie out.let us know how it all turned out.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:44 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro freak
Ok, so I just use hammer and dolly and go slow around door folding a little at a time. Thanks to all!
And I would suggest that you don't use the adhesive. That will put too much pressure on you to get it done fast. Just hem it and then weld at the corners.

Brian
Old 05-20-2009, 02:59 PM

the SEM set times vary because jobs come in differnt sizes,therefore you can get them anywhere from 5 min to 5 hrs just read the directions or at least check out the option.I was a true disbeliever in glues vs.welding until they were actually demondstrated.the glued joint was stronger(after cured two pieces of steel could not be seperated even with a air chisel). The metal actualy tore before the glue.Other advantages include water tight seal and adjustability so many up to date restorers will use glues as another great tool in their box for very quaility oriantated tradesman who want their work to last. check them out there ez but you'll still have to hammer and dollie but the job is ALMOST fool proof and the finished work will need very little bodywork if any ,even for a first timer,I've done many,many skins,both ways but this is the way I've done it for the last ten years ,its the sheet,expensive but great, available at any paint store,just ask ,they'll tell you the same thing
Old 05-20-2009, 04:24 PM
Last photo:

The glue convinced me when I saw door hinges glued on newer cars.

Vince
Old 05-20-2009, 04:37 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28
The glue convinced me when I saw door hinges glued on newer cars.

Vince
There are no glued on hinges that I know of. There are weld on, but I have never seen a glue on and I see 150 cars a month.

Brian
Old 05-20-2009, 05:36 PM
Technician

Last wiki edit: Epoxy primer
Wiki Edits: 17

I think a beginner could use the adhesive, if it is cool enough, a slow enough adhesive is used, there are no interruptions, and he is determined to press through the process non-stop.

I used to forgo the glue because I got interrupted too often. Now I just have to explain to people that I cannot stop until the skin is done...
Old 05-20-2009, 05:47 PM

yeah but how many do you do major repairs on?thats how you'll know.Depanding on the make ,the glues are every where ,all types of them.Try removing a quarter panel of an 00-08 Impalia for instance,you'll find three to four kinds of glue. Hinges too,I've even glued an entire bottom of a carmin gia with rust out patches,including door bottoms,...great stuff , very ez to use,inables anybody with a driveway to do patches just drill screws (till its dry)tin snips and the most basic tools.Basicly ,anybody that can read a tape measure can patch a rust hole that will last,,way easier than bondo work,that takes time to learn
Old 05-20-2009, 06:48 PM

Last photo:

I am a big believer in the adhesives as well. I have posted a lot of stuff here supporting it. But it does put an element of "Rush" that can cause undo pressure on a newbe.

I have never seen a 5 hour work time adhesive, but if there is one that would make all the difference.

You mentioned hinges, do you know of a hinge that is bonded on?

Brian
Old 05-20-2009, 07:08 PM

certainly!!!! Everything hinges on a good bond ,doesnt it ?
Old 05-20-2009, 07:45 PM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
There are no glued on hinges that I know of. There are weld on, but I have never seen a glue on and I see 150 cars a month.

Brian
I had a 90 model Chevy full size truck and they were glued on.

Vince

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.