Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Has anyone used Xtreme Flat Finish?
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2012, 02:52 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercetdg
I did get it to work and lay down right but my customer prefers the slightly glossy flat look. But yeah it looks exactly like those flat black vinyl wrapped cars, it's like a painted molding, 100% no gloss.
The two secrets are that you need to shake the clear for an incredibly long time, if you're doing a whole car maybe get a friend to shake it for literally 2 minutes. Once done, it'll come out looking like lemonade, might even have a few bubbles. Now when you put it on the car, put it exactly like you would a wet clear and you will see orange peel and you will see foggy stripes. Turn the heat up really high and let it bake for an hour and you'll see that it totally changes. No more orange peel texture and absolutely no gloss and most importantly, no foggy stripes.
If you want to have the colour a little brighter like how some matt black paint jobs look grey, pull the gun back an inch or two.
im a garage painter i donet have a heat dryer, wish i did. but for me the final resault came out terrible ill never use it again. its just to hard to hope that you have the right results. with my job i ended up haveing to strip down the flat clear and re coat the color then i shot over with high solids clear. it looks better any ways in my opinion and my client loves the glossy look, bad thing is i was doing just a raceing stripe in the flat and i didnt strip all the way to the edge so when i cleared over it ive got a small edge. ive wet sanded over it with 15,2g and 3g grit, and now im getting ready to buff, do i need to tape off those lines or should i be ok.