Has anyone wanted to buy your ride? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2004, 04:10 AM
Home Built Rods No Rules

Last journal entry: Home Made Sheetmetal bender plans
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Has anyone wanted to buy your ride?

Got a phone call the other day some guy,don't know who he is or anything about wanted to buy my coupe. First didn't understand what he was saying,but he was almost insisting on buying it.I said no it's not for sale, he says we'll I hear your building another streetrod I figured you would want to sell.I said no I'm having to much fun with it,it's not for sale,he says if you want the motor out of it thats ok he'd take just the body, again no it's not for sale,after about 5-10 minutes he said his name and number be sure let him have first chance at it,ok what ever, no its not for sale,maybe I should have said some ridiculous price and seen if he had it,oh well it's not for sale

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2004, 04:32 AM
The Dude

Last photo:

That is crazy! I can’t stand it when people can’t take no for an answer, they gotta keep houndin’ ya about it. I’m glad you finally got away from him!

Back in the early 90’s I was on my way home from work and I was dropping a buddy off at his house when I had some guy and his woman (wife or girlfriend, I don’t know) following me. When I got to his road, he told me they were definitely following us because he was the only house on that road and it was a dead end. I pull over and get out of the car. This dude gets out of his car and ask if I would trade them my 70 Buick for their 69 Olds. First he asked if I would sell it. I said no. Then he wanted to trade his car for mine. I was getting ready to put the big block chevy in it and had just finished the interior, body work was all done and the car was all in gray primer. I said no, I dig the cutlass, but I am not getting rid of my car. It is not for sale or trade. Of course he had to bug me for a while about it, but eventually he got the hint. He too, gave me his number and asked me to call him if I change my mind. (What part of no don’t these people understand!?)

The cutlass wasn’t all that bad, but he was one of those “shady” lookin’ characters, and to seal the deal, the cutlass had a bumper sticker on it… a big orange one that said “We stop at all big lots!” WTF!?!?!? I mean who puts this bumper sticker on their car, let alone, a 69 olds??? The car didn’t look all that bad, a little rust here or there, nothing worse than what I had started with. But the “shadyness” of the guy + the big lots bumper sticker made me wanna run fast and far! Did I mention the mullet? Hehehe I guess we could let him slide on that one… it was the 90’s.

Rock on…

Seńor

P.S. There are some pictures of my buick in my photo album. There are a couple of pics what it looked like back then. I just added 2 more recent pictures from Nov '03 as it sits now.

Last edited by senor_limpio; 07-16-2004 at 04:55 AM.
Old 07-16-2004, 04:56 AM
Heart Breaker and Life Taker

Last photo:

Same thing here,Only I wasnt followed or called,they just showed up outta nowhare,askin me if my truck was for sale while i was workin on it. I said no,its not. Then he said," when do you plan on selling it?" I almost said,"when i fell damn good and ready to." but I told him i dont know. And told me whare he lived at like i could careless,And I told him,when I do sell it,it wont be under $7,000 ( I know thats way too much but i didnt care.) And he said ok,come by when your ready. Im like,i wont. It's my only truck,my baby,i aint sellin it nooooo time soon.
Old 07-16-2004, 05:13 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Generally, people that bug you about selling are full of it. They just want to talk, they have no money and just want to try to impress you by making you think that they are loaded.

I would be learey of a "scam" in these cases also.
Old 07-16-2004, 06:34 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

I actually had a guy come up to me at the NSRA Nats in Louisville about 5 years ago, the very first time I took my pro-street 41 Chevy anywhere, and offer me a respectable pile of cash for the car. I didn't sell for two reasons. First, I had just finished the car and hadn't had time to enjoy it much and second, the guy was about 70 years old and he would have killed himself in that thing. H ell, it scared the bejesus out of me.

Centerline
Old 07-16-2004, 06:50 AM
Home Built Rods No Rules

Last journal entry: Home Made Sheetmetal bender plans
Last photo:

This is the second time this has happened,the first time was something like Centerlines just got the coupe done a guy that bought my first one seen it want'ed to buy it I know he had the money bought I told him it would take another 10g to buy it he was half pissed off about it,also I agree with Pouncho could be a skam, I guess if we all have something someone wants to buy we're doing something right
Old 07-16-2004, 06:57 AM
Not so New Member

Last journal entry: Trying to make a custom valance
Last photo:

I have 2 Mustangs in the driveway and someone is constantly asking if I want to sell 1. If I had 2 Hondas out there would they be banging on my door? Magazines like Hotrod seem to promote this behavior but some people take it to the level of stalking.
Fred
Old 07-16-2004, 07:05 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Happens often and I have been guilty of trying to buy a specific vehicle over the years so have to keep things in prospective. I pestered the previous owner of my 36 5 WC for years before he decided to sell it. When I first finished my pickup back in 1981, I was transferred to Austin, Tx and was covered up with wealthy Longhorn grads wanting my truck because I unwittingly chose the light beige and burnt orange color scheme. One very forceful guy rubbed me the wrong way when he said "Every thing has a price" and I responded with a ridiculous price of $50,0000. My heart dropped to my crotch when he stopped talking, thinking he was going to drop the hammer. After a long pause, he said "You really don't want to sell it, do you.?". Right then and there, I learned to never put a price on something I did not want to sell; even a ridiculous price. After the rebuild on the truck, the pressure has resumed and I tried a different approach to another serious attempt by replying it would take 6 figures to get it. I could see the gears turning in his head when he said "You mean $100,000?" and my response was "You did not listen, I said six figures and that could be one penny below a million bucks". End of discussion.

Trees
Old 07-16-2004, 09:11 AM

Last photo:

I have had two notes suck under the wipers on my Nova with offers and phone numbers. I threw those away. I had one guy at a gas station ask me what I wanted for it. I just told him he didn't have enough money to buy my heart and soul.

Larry
Old 07-16-2004, 09:16 AM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

Yes, two black guys stopped in the street in this new Lincoln when I was putting my coat in the trunk of the Caprice that I had parked at the curb outside a relatives house, in a town just outside of Philly. I was thinking wtf are these guys doing, they both got out of there car and the driver says "Yo, dis yo car?" I said yea it's mine. The driver says "Dat's phat yo", Me "yea", The driver "Yo man, dat car is my culla, dat's Eagles (Phillys football team) green yo!." I'm staring at the guy now and he says "how much do you want foe it" I said it's not for sale. He says "I want dis car, name yo price" Me- Sorry dude I'm not selling it. We went back and forth about how he wants to buy and I'm not selling it. The guy finally says "aight" and him and his homie left. I figured they would come back and steal it so I kept checking on it every 1/2 hour.
Old 07-16-2004, 10:21 AM
Move It On Over!

Last photo:

I've had a few people ask if I want to sell my car, usually a 'it's not for sale' works.

What really irks me are the bozos that ask "What year is it?" That happens alot. The worst incident was on the DC Beltway, where the traffic was moving along at 40mph by the 495/270spur split on the outer loop. Some idiot on my right side was frantically waving and I figured there must be something serious going on - he and his girl were signalling to roll my window down. So, I reached over and rolled the window down and they said "What year is it?"...

-I'm thinking of making a little sign or bumper sticker that says:
"Itza 66!"
Old 07-16-2004, 11:08 AM
Tazz

Last photo:

Most people who stop to look at a car

Thats not for sale to begin with don't have any idea what they are looking at or what its worth. I have a 64 Chevelle, a 69 Lemans and my 53 Chevy all parked in the driveway. People stop at least once a day asking about one of these cars. When I put the Lemans up for sale they want to drive it, I say no and they don't inderstand why. I say, you put a deposit down on the car and I'll take you for a ride. Any more I just don't expect any one the Looky Loo's to buy so I don't pay them any attention and keep doing what I'm doing and they leave.

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!
Old 07-16-2004, 12:02 PM

Last photo:

I had that happen several times with my Blazer and my husbands Camaro. The only time I knew the guy was serious was when he set down a wad of cash on the counter of my work, all I know it was the most cash I have ever seen first hand that could have been mine and the top bill was a $100. I've had people want to trade me motorcycles and cars but I am firm and say no not for sale and not finished. Amazes me someone would want to buy something that wasn't openly for sale, I usually just drool over other cars and comment on how gorgeous their ride is
Old 07-16-2004, 05:30 PM
Young & Idealistic

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: 1950 Fargo - losing hope
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

If I see an old car I like (if it's rusty and sitting in the back or I check to make sure it has no liscence plate so I know it's not being driven) I go and knock on the door.
If they tell me it's not for sale I take off and won't bother them again. Sometimes they even leave a phone number in case I wanna check back after some time.
I don't only do this with cars, but with everyting. I've gotten quite an assortment of free bikes, bike parts and srap metal this way.
If they tell they don't wanna sell it or give it away I won't ever bother them again.

Mike
Old 07-16-2004, 05:59 PM

Last photo:

How much is that doggie in the window?

I had one guy ask me if my car was for sale. I said sure. $50,000 ought to cover it, since the interior is not finished. He went away. Since we all have an idea what our rides are worth, just double or triple it when some knuckle head asks. They'll go away.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.