has nascar lost its soul?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2004, 03:50 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

has nascar lost its soul??

im curious what you people think about this one. look at nascar 20 years ago-and look at it now. back then almost anyone could come to a race and try to qualify and have a chance. it didnt take a whole list of sponsors to start a race program. alot of drivers started working their car in their home garage. im not saying they won but they atleast competed. (was it Bobby Allison that pulled a motor out of his truck-switched the heads with the ones off of the blown up race engine from qualifying and raced the event?)my point is that nascar used to be a "good old boys sport" where kids could atleast dream of being a nascar driver-now its almost impossible. their wasnt as much politics envolved, they just let them race. ofcourse nascar is still racing but its getting to the point where i find myself channel surfing during the race.
another thing is the restrictor plates, i believe their are other ways to slow the cars down and not bunch them up. 20 or so cars packed together at 150mph is just plain dangerous-one guy goofs and all the drivers get dinged up in one way or another. how about restricting valve sizes to a smaller size. that in its self would limit top rpm HP and still give the shops room to tune(which is what keeps the cars spaced apart). i just find myself geting peed off every time i watch a race and stay to see the drivers talk about their sponsors-hardly ever is it all about racing-its mostly a drivers conference promoting their sponsors.--not the way it used to be.

i gotta go--im gonna go see if any of my friends taped the IRL race.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2004, 04:38 AM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

NASCAR sucks?

So I'm not the only one who's been down on NASCAR? It seems that all the money is going straight to NASCAR's head. In a couple years it will have Toyota cars, fuel injection, and uniform templates. Money is all that matters. Same as governmental politics.
Old 06-01-2004, 04:40 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Thumbs up

Brother...You just touched a sore subject with me!

I cannot stand to watch NASCAR any longer. It has gone the route of the WWF! All tradition is being canned and the new sport is just a dog and pony show in my opinion. It is bad enough that they are leaving tracks (Hickory-Rockingham-Darlinton) that helped get them where they are now but have recently signed Magic Johnson (of all people) to get more sensitivity (read money) into the sport.

I have not really kept abreast of the sport, but think many people's attention will be returning to their local short tracks.

Whoever saw a TAURUS four-door with a 351C in it anyways?
Old 06-01-2004, 04:59 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

It's called "BIG BUSINESS" boys.....Not saying that I agree with it, but if you were running the show and had a chance to increase your profits by as much as they have, I am sure you would do the same thing.

If it hadn't gone this way, you wouldn't be able to watch it on TV every Sunday, because the interest wouldn't be there.

Nascar still has many of the lower divisions that cater to the small tracks, which are still filling the stands.

Budget RVs
Old 06-01-2004, 05:05 AM

Last photo:

amen-search no farther my brothers. i have found the last oasis of hope for us politic haters ( i myself even find it hard to vote sometimes). its IRL, sure theirs import cars and whatnot but the fact is when they drop the green flag in IRL they say let the race begin. when they drop the green flag in nascar they say let the race begine BUT!! lets make sure everyone is going the same speed and no bumping no drafting no....no....no...racing. and for those people who dont want to watch the IRL because its not american feel safe knowing that chevy's llnor engines have dominated for the last 10 seasons. i think im gonna pull up my roots and go watch some hondas go around in circles, its not the nascar of yesteryear but right now its better. in ten years where will nascar be? the answer- not on my TV unless theirs some big changes.
Old 06-01-2004, 05:26 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

"The more things change, the more they stay the same". The one constant in Winston Cup is change. Things not only change from year to year, but race to race. Like Kultulz said, when did you ever see a 2 door 351 Tarus or a Monte Carlo with a V-8 in the last 10 years? And a level playing field? What a joke. An old adage: If you ain't cheatin' , you ain't trying! is still alive, but the fines are being issued for the dumbest, fine print items and the biggies ar being addressed with a wink of the eye. There is no way a car can be as dominate as Jimmy Johnson's Chevy in the 600 race Sunday night unless they were very illegal. I think Richard Petty and team has the record for the most fines for cheating to go along with the most wins. I visited some local racers shop the other day and looked at some performance heads that had the casting marks ground off the front and had them replaced with some epoxy and sand casting marks of legal heads. There were some other goodies that would get by as well. Then to watch these guys "struggle to run near the front" only to find a great "adjustment" near the end and blast to the front to win is sort of amusing. Yep, we pay a lot to be entertained!!

Trees
Old 06-01-2004, 06:24 AM

Last photo:

Hi

Well I know I'm not an American and not as old as some of you, but I have to say this: I still like nascar, and I still watch it when ever I get a chance. But of course I am aware that nascar is as you said big buiness, so money talks. Then again for me it isn't really about who wins and who dosen't it is about the cars, the racing, the crashes, cars going to the pit and out again, and the sound... of course that is just me.

Sune Larsen
Old 06-01-2004, 06:28 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I used to watch nascar, but it takes too long to watch race. NOw a days I just get my quick fix standing outside my house and watching people turn left for about five minutes.

K
Old 06-01-2004, 08:27 AM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

I end up falling asleep when I try to watch a nascar race. I would stay awake for stock car racing.

Mike

i really like sound of the "Nextel Cup" though
Old 06-01-2004, 10:15 AM
you talkin to me?

ill just tie my steering wheel all the way left and let my car go around for 3 1/2 hours.
thats just as exciting
Old 06-01-2004, 10:21 AM

Last photo:

I think they should have a reality series, NASCAR style where the network just picks up people off the street in their own cars and let them race around. Now THAT'S stock-car racing at its best.

Safety what? Who cares about safety, or insurance. It's all about the media.

MoocH
Old 06-01-2004, 10:31 AM
you talkin to me?

hey with all the shi$&y reality show's out there im surprised this hasn't happened yet.
funny idea though.
Old 06-01-2004, 10:36 AM
Laissez les bons temps rouler

Last journal entry: Frame Removal
Last photo:

Actually K2, NASCAR does have thier own reality show. I forget what it's called, or what channel it comes on though. But, they follow the drivers areound after the race, and let you see what they do at home with the family.

Looks kinda retarted to me. And I hate reality tv.

Chris
Old 06-01-2004, 10:49 AM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

Chris I watched some of that show the other day, as I expected it was lame. I don't remember the channel or show name.
Old 06-01-2004, 10:54 AM
you talkin to me?

i don't see how anyone could be so wrapped up in the nascar world that they would spend their day's watching nascar drivers private lives.
are our lives so damn dull that we get kicks out of watching someone else's?

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.