Have you ever reused a head gasket? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2013, 10:04 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Have you ever reused a head gasket?

I was reading a few threads on another site about this gasket issue and I was wondering if you ever reused a head gasket or any other sensitive gaskets. I just want to know from people who actually tried to do it, doesn't matter if it worked, failed, whatever.

If you done it tell me the results, what type of gasket it was, why you thought you could do it without incident, the type of vehicle, and how long it lasted.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2013, 10:17 PM

Last photo:

Back in the day. Used solid copper gaskets over many times. Doing quick checks between rounds at the drags.
Also have used steel shim and Fel-Pro blue gaskets over on SBC engine in dragster. Never a problem. I had a gasket engineer tell me Chevys can be sealed with almost anything because of five bolt holes around the cylinders.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:24 PM

Last photo:

fel pro blue is that like their regular gaskets or is that special material?
Old 03-16-2013, 10:57 PM

My shopmate is a one of the few top fuel owner/ drivers left. Yes they still use copper gaskets with wire o-rings in the heads and reuse the gaskets as long as their condition allows. I have not ever reused any other type of gasket. Maybe it will work but I wouldn't know.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:58 PM
Bubbles is the girl next door

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

Yes, a honda 3.2L v6. It was the factory cometic head gasket. It is composition of metal plates and you can torque it again.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:34 AM

Last photo:

Well I am mostly curious just about the results with gaskets that arent known or said to be reusable.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:52 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

I run Cometic MLS on the blower car, and talked to Cometic about reusing, they say yes if it was sealing when last assembled. Even at over $100 per side I don't reuse them, but then I don't pull my heads that often.

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association

Last edited by 68NovaSS; 03-17-2013 at 08:31 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:22 PM
bentwings

Last photo:

I have head studs and it simply is not worth the effort to have to pull the motor out twice to replace the head gaskets. For the $ 100 or so for a pair of head gaskets it's just not worth the risk.

The Funnycar we reuse the solid copper gaskets all the time. We have sets from .060 to .100 by .010 that are changed to alter compression ratio. Once in a great while a head will get a gouge burned around the o-ring groove under the gasket. It doesn't trash the head but it means a trip the head rebuilder for welding and machining that we can't do. I don't recall ever burning the new aluminum blocks this way. Lost a couple cast iron hemi's in the old days however.

To answer the question, I don't like to have to re-do motor stuff so I'd say don't reuse.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:01 AM
Old & Furious

Yes many times.

Coppers work no sweat. Just flame them with the torch and they can be reused as many times as needed.

Normal head gaskets can not be resued once they have seated up. If you ever had a head off you know the gasket is trashed during removal. as half of it still needs to be scrapped off the engine.

I have resued motor cycle gaskets. and a few cars. but most cars leak oil after reuse. The compression part will seal up casue the heads are bolted down tight enough but the oil seals leak like crazy. Motorcylce use o rings for most oil passages.

Always get a new gasket if at all possible.

As far as paper gaskets with no sealer that just come loose I reuse them in the past without much trouble. but i also always seal them up first. Pizza box has also worked in a pinch along with felt or paper gasket sheet for custom gaskets.

FYI any blue or none metal gaskets or multi layer where the part touching the head is not steel can not be reused. Most felpros are one time use casue the have gasket sealer that sets up when the engine gets hot the first time. The blue coating is not going to be there when you get it back apart.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:13 PM
Bubbles is the girl next door

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

On some smaller old motor cycles. I didn't have the head gasket so I used a film of silicone.

How long did the pizza box last?
Old 03-19-2013, 07:05 AM
Old & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
On some smaller old motor cycles. I didn't have the head gasket so I used a film of silicone.

How long did the pizza box last?
An amazing amount of time but not as a head gasket. but sealed up just fine for holding back oil.

I have lapped 2 stroke heads to use no gaskets to raise the compressions ration a few points. But not needed these days with the thin gaskets you can buy.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:48 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by One to Remember View Post
I was reading a few threads on another site about this gasket issue and I was wondering if you ever reused a head gasket or any other sensitive gaskets. I just want to know from people who actually tried to do it, doesn't matter if it worked, failed, whatever.

If you done it tell me the results, what type of gasket it was, why you thought you could do it without incident, the type of vehicle, and how long it lasted.
Only in the case on MLS, shim and graphite or Teflon coated composition gaskets and the engine has not been run nor gasket goo of some sort been used. I never reuse these type gaskets once the engine has been run. I typically end up reusing head gaskets when doing assembly mock ups where the engine may come together one or two times to measure dimensions such as valve or spark plug to piston clearance, etc. Certainly the higher the output or end use of the engine plays a role, high end builds for street or competition only leave the shop with virgin gaskets.

In the case of copper or aluminum with cylinder O rings these can be cleaned and annealed then reused in their original locations when there is no other choice this being an in the pits maintenance thing. A new build, rebuild or a service tear down and inspection always gets fresh gaskets.

Bogie
Old 03-19-2013, 11:55 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Back in the flathead days I would reuse the copper head gaskets. I have also reused the performance level Fel-Pros, but only if I haven't filled the engine with water, then fired it and run through a heat cycle.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:42 AM

Last photo:

yea Ireland's Child i have a ford i put the head gasket on, tightened down but never wet or heated up so i wasnt sure if the head would correct anything altered by the thing being torqued down. its a fel pro.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:49 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by One to Remember View Post
yea Ireland's Child i have a ford i put the head gasket on, tightened down but never wet or heated up so i wasnt sure if the head would correct anything altered by the thing being torqued down. its a fel pro.

There are several levels of Fel-Pro gaskets. The ones I've reused are the HiPo Perma-Torque versions, i.e. Q1011-1 or -2(which I'm currently using). Their standard OEM level gaskets, i.e., Q9333Pt1 probably I would not reuse, are fairly inexpensive, though these are almost as good as the HiPo's for performance use without nitrous or supercharging

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.