Have you used.Heidts steering control - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2011, 06:21 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Have you used.Heidts steering control

I have a valve like this installed in a merc with a f-150 box and a chevy p/s pump.The instructions aren't to clear. If you know of these inline valves. Please share with me what you might know in the adjusting of them.

Quick function definition;they equalize pressure [supposedly], between the pump and the box. I still get slight wander. Has anyone ever been thru this process once it, - or yours was installed.please contribute anything you might have as i am lost. All they say is adjust the flow of fluid to match the box and the pump, BUT i am not getting anywhere with this. did you perhap?s thank you guys --------------------bob s

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2011, 01:06 PM

Heidts power steering valve

The valve design is to bleed off line pressure to the box and the bleed off pressure is returned to the pump. The valve is like a needle and seat style like on a carburetor. If you have time please give Heidts a call and our tech's can help you with your installation. ph # 800-841-8188 ext 3010
Old 06-02-2011, 02:18 PM

Last photo:

Ispoke with someone there a week or so ago. Thats why i came over here. It was not a good descrption given of what i wanted [needed] to know..and the voice on the other end sounded abit like it was break time or something.......i'm not upset, except this valve need further instructions, as far as what to expect each time you twist the knob in.Im a bit tired of going down the road and the wander is still there, I am thinking the valve doesn't have to be screwed out very far!.anyway i'll try again. bob s
Old 06-02-2011, 08:44 PM

Last wiki edit: Suspension: designs, shapes, sizes Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Does the car wander, or is it too easy to steer (over-assisted)?

Two different issues, or maybe a combination of two issues. A "wander" can (and is likely) an alignment issue. Over-assisted, meaning you can just give the steering wheel a spin like a roulette wheel, is a situation that the Heidt's valve can help with. You need to determine what is really going on before trying to solve the problem.

Let me know if you need more info to help sort this out.

Andy
Old 06-03-2011, 05:53 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aosborn
Does the car wander, or is it too easy to steer (over-assisted)?

Two different issues, or maybe a combination of two issues. A "wander" can (and is likely) an alignment issue. Over-assisted, meaning you can just give the steering wheel a spin like a roulette wheel, is a situation that the Heidt's valve can help with. You need to determine what is really going on before trying to solve the problem.

Let me know if you need more info to help sort this out.

Andy
Hi Andy!!!!

I have ---FINALLY--- come to the conclusion on the wandering,I never looked at this problem like you have suggested Andy ...........Well -- i just did this morning. That is what the problem is......."over assisting" not wandering. You have no idea, how many times i've re-worded this problem in different forums,to find out what the hell was going on.I can align a 50 merc without looking now. [which btw is all good]

This insight showed up as i did this . I screwed the knob on the heidts valve out 7 revolutions, [i marked one half point, and one quarter point turns on the knob] then test drove the car, 5 miles down to my first crossroad, turned around and drove it back.

Each time it felt like it was still wandering, as i twisted the black knob inward on the valve, it started on its path to getting better steering.
Heidts------- just said turn it out- till ya get it. what kind of advice is this i thought...then i would turn it in[restricts flow] of p/s fluid.

As you do this---the over assist....wouldn't change till i got down to 2 turns in.
Now everytime i test drove the kar, it was 5 miles. that amounts to approx ;70 miles /give or take.

It is pretty darn good now, at 2 turns out.
The last thing ,is the instructions do not tell you how far you can adjust this knob in, before you loose the power assist factor.[no fluid returning to the pump]
I plan to call them today for the final words on this.Ain't this a crock . all the questions i asked. And was asking the wrong thing everytime!!!!.

To all the folks who tried to help me.My hat is off to you all . ANDY OSBORN FOUND THE PROBLEM. thanks again to all who participated in helping me.

This is the best hotrod forum on the internet........jalopy journal can't hold a candle to this forum, the way these guys stuck by me was awesome.....and i never use that word

PS Epilouge;this valve [heidts] makes the car dart,because its assisting way to much...this was not mentioned either on the phone or in the instuctions.and i keep tons of instructions on all 18 hotrods i have built you'er gonna need them sometime in the future.

Last edited by bsa_bob; 06-03-2011 at 06:01 AM.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:32 AM

Last wiki edit: Suspension: designs, shapes, sizes Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Glad you got it worked out!

Screwing in the valve will not shut off the fluid flow to the pump, it is just a bypass so some of the fluid will be redirected back to the reservoir instead of going to the steering gear. Screwing the valve in will actually increase system pressure, not reduce it, as you are making the bypass opening smaller. But if the adjustments you did work for you, that is all that counts.

Andy

Last edited by aosborn; 06-03-2011 at 07:51 AM.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:39 AM

Last photo:

heidts reducing pressure valve

I have the chevy pump and the 77 ford f-150 steering box.i am now trying something else.i have,,,,,,,,NEVER,,,,,,,,,,,, been satisfied with these heidts p/s valves. BTW mine is for sale. i finally removed this expensive valve, Now my kar is doing a ton better..i am fussy!!! Ithink now......i need a pressure reducing kit , that i can get "GOOD INSTRUCTIONS" with.A couple shims and i will be home free....... i think!!. Castor isn't the problem here .i found that out a long time ago. If anyone has any views on this reincarnation of a previous thread by all means,........ throw out there what you think cheers and HELP!! bob s

ps i am ruuning the lower mounted chevy pump to a 77 ford box,the steering has NEVER been closer, which goes to show some chevy stuff works in conjunction with ford stuff.I still need a bit of fine tuning, with this reducing kit help please bob

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.