Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Having brake issues since day one.
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2012, 09:32 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Having brake issues since day one.

Ok First post here so Hello to everyone.
A little information on what I'm working with here. The car I am working with in my Grandfathers. He's got the money, I get to drive it and show it. I have been taking the car to shows for about a year now. Its a 1956 Crown Victoria, powered buy a modular 4.6 blown by Kenne Bell, Fatman Fabrications Mustang II stage 3 Front end, Ford 8.8 rear. The car has been fully restored/customized for about 3 years now. Since day one the Brakes have never been right. We have a disk/disk setup on it and the car barely wants to stop with your foot pressing as hard as possible. Between him and I we have put 570 miles on it in the past 3 years, and as stated above the brakes have never been right. Friday I pulled the system apart making sure everything was setup right, as far as the brake pedal, linkage, booster pin, brake line hookup and routing, etc. was all OK. Everything seams to be in correct order.

One thing I did notice was when I pulled the master cylinder off and pressed the brake pedal the booster pin would come out just over an inch or so, when I put the MC back on the booster and press the pedal it will only go in about half the distance like it was bottoming out. I have come to the conclusion there is nothing wrong from the pedal to the Booster. So I figure there has to be something wrong with the MC or the combination valve.

Saturday I pulled the MC to check it, The fluid looked pretty rough, the piston seamed to hang up a bit when pressing it in, after I dumped out the fluid there was quite a bit of rust crud in the bottom of the MC so I ran to the store and got one. By the way it is a dual diaphram booster with a C3 GM master cylinder. I bench bleed the new MC install it and bleed the brakes. Take it for a run, and nothing seams any different. My Grandad came down and told me that when he bought that conversion kit, the car was to be set up with a disk/drum setup. By the time the car was finished it had disk/disk because they ended up using the 8.8 rear end out of the donor mustang.

Now after doing some research I see there are Disk/drum and disk/disk combination valves. since he ordered that kit as disk/drum I am assuming it may have the wrong combination valve in it. Would having the wrong combination valve cause extremely poor braking? Any suggestions? He's getting irritated. And I'm the one to fix it. Here are a few pics for you guys. Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4-15-12 014.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	960.7 KB
ID:	66145   Click image for larger version

Name:	4-15-12 018.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	66146   Click image for larger version

Name:	4-15-12 019.JPG
Views:	76