Having fun with a scammer - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2009, 11:04 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Having fun with a scammer

I have two engines listed locally on Craigs list. I received an obvious scam email wanting to send a money order to my address and provide a "no voice mail" phone number. Once I received the MO, they will send their "shipper" asap to get the engine. Needless to say, I know better but am seriously thinking of playing along. I have called the AZ attorney general's office and left a message asking if they would be interested in following up on this.

No doubt the MO will be a fake and most people would deposit it, let the merchandise go, then find they have been dinged by the bank for the bogus check, plus be out the product.

I'm actually thinking of having them send the MO to the Phx Police dept or the AG's office!!!

Or send it to me and then have it checked for authenticity before releasing the engine to the, i'm sure, very pissed off, shipper.

Update to follow if the AG calls back.

Mark

Wow, AG just called back and said they get so many people like me calling that they just can't do them all. Rats!!!! LOL

I asked if I could have the MO sent to THEM.....she laughed and declined. I then asked if I could have it sent to someone I don't like and she said that after this conversation, I could do what ever I liked. (she had a great sense of humor!) and I DO have a dirtbag ebay seller that lives here in Phx that i'm considering sending his name and phone number back to the scammer.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2009, 11:50 AM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:

Hi Jmark
I'd like you to do something to that scumbag, but I wouldn't
want anything to come back on you, so maybe you should just
let it go.
Rich
Old 02-12-2009, 03:04 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmark
I have two engines listed locally on Craigs list. I received an obvious scam email wanting to send a money order to my address and provide a "no voice mail" phone number. Once I received the MO, they will send their "shipper" asap to get the engine. Needless to say, I know better but am seriously thinking of playing along. I have called the AZ attorney general's office and left a message asking if they would be interested in following up on this.

No doubt the MO will be a fake and most people would deposit it, let the merchandise go, then find they have been dinged by the bank for the bogus check, plus be out the product.

I'm actually thinking of having them send the MO to the Phx Police dept or the AG's office!!!

Or send it to me and then have it checked for authenticity before releasing the engine to the, i'm sure, very pissed off, shipper.

Update to follow if the AG calls back.

Mark

Wow, AG just called back and said they get so many people like me calling that they just can't do them all. Rats!!!! LOL

I asked if I could have the MO sent to THEM.....she laughed and declined. I then asked if I could have it sent to someone I don't like and she said that after this conversation, I could do what ever I liked. (she had a great sense of humor!) and I DO have a dirtbag ebay seller that lives here in Phx that i'm considering sending his name and phone number back to the scammer.

Jmark.. you will still have the item,The shipper will never come.You think your sending the payment to the shipper,But it's not a shipper,It's them.You will pay the shipper with your check,Which is a good check.But the one they send you take's about 30 days to go through,Then it's bad.But by then they are running with your money,That's why they tell you the shipper is coming so soon.I had a few try that ******* with me.Boy I would love to meet one of these guy's.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:33 PM

Last photo:

I still haven't decided what to do yet, but giving good thought to giving them the ebay idiot's name and address. He'd love it! He thrives on scams.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:51 PM
Troll Hunter

Last photo:

They must have some kind of filter/program that automaticly responds to items over a certain amount. I posted my Terraplane sidecar on Craig's last week and within hours I had my first response...from a scammer. I wouldn't invite any check or money order from them, we did that a few years ago when we were selling our '57 Coupe DeVille and although we were positive it was a scam we played along. The certified check we got didn't feel right to my wife and when she took it to the bank she even said so...they said" Oh No, this is the real thing", 2 days later she was contacted because it was fake. For about a week afterward we were getting pleas "oh my child needs immediate medical treatment and I need $$ soon". I responded after a couple other pleas and a threat.."Come on", I told them "I know what to expect...but you don't". Oddly the e-mail corresppondence ceased.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.