Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Having problem with epoxy primer......
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2006, 07:34 PM
I need a bucket of arc sparks

Last wiki edit: How to identify SB Ford heads without pulling them
Last journal entry: trunk floor
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Having problem with epoxy primer......

Last week I stripped my hood and used naval jelly hood to get rid of the rust and crow checked paint.Thursday I finished cleaning up the hood and sprayed it with two coats of Omni MP172 Epoxy primer. The day was about 70-75 degrees when I sprayed the primer. After spraying the primer I let the hood set out in the sun for about 5 hours. Fast forward, five days later the primer on the hood has hardened to the touch but still will scratch with a fingernail. I figured I would DA it with 180 and fix the dings and dents. When I tried to DA the hood it kept loading up the paper and throwing little balls of primer. I finally got the hood sanded down real well and figured maybe it would be ok to fix the dents. After applying the filler, I decided to scrape off a few of the filler goobers with a scraper. When I started to do this the filler came off but it took the primer with it. I know something is wrong with what I did and know this is not going to work. Do I need to strip the hood back down and start from scratch or is this normal? This is the first time I have tried epoxy primer, all I can say is I am really disappointed with it. Here is the details for everybody. The nights were cold and I didn't keep my garage warm. Number two is, before I sprayed the epoxy primer I sanded the hood down with 120 grit on a DA. I never have used epoxy primer before, I was trained old school and learned to fix dents on bare metal and then prime it with a 2K primer. I have never had any problems with my old ways, and figured I would try the new school method. I know something is wrong , so let me know what I did wrong and what I need to do to remedy this problem.