Having problems after rebuild - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2007, 09:41 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Having problems after rebuild

I just had the tranny rebuilt by a local guy, who sort of does it "on the side". He assures me that he took no shortcuts, and that he replaced everything that needed replaced. It's a '95 Jeep Grand Cherokee (42rh I believe). I took it out and took it to him, then picked it up and put it back in myself.

It seems to work ok when it's cold, but after warm up, it starts doing strange things, like
not upshifting,
or when it does upshift sometimes it won't downshift.
Then when I stop, it feels like I've been rearended, there's a big bang and it shakes the whole Jeep!
Also sometimes after I stop, it seems as though it's stuck in high gear, it has very little power, and you can smell something burning, if you manually shift it to low or reverse then drive, it seems fine.
Also, sometimes, when i turn into a side street, then gas it, it just revs like it's in neutral, if i leave off the gas then back on, it's ok.
He said I probably didn't need to replace the T converter since it was replaced when the tranny was rebuilt the last time, before I bought the jeep.
I should mention also, that before I installed it, I noticed that the splines on the larger input shaft (outside one) seemed worn down, they weren't as sharp as the ones on the smaller inside shaft. I probably should have stopped and taken it back to him then, but I assumed he saw it and felt it was ok.

I was very careful to adjust the TV cable correctly, and used correct amount of the Chrysler recommended ATF4.
I haven't been able to contact the guy who rebuilt, and don't suppose I'll hear from him over the weekend. If any of you could give me some idea what's wrong with it, it will help me when I do get a hold of him.
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2007, 11:20 AM

Last photo:

I'd be taking it to him and let him drive it.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:33 PM

There is dirt or trash in govenor,did you clean or replace the trans cooler and lines?
Old 06-30-2007, 05:41 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDLuck
There is dirt or trash in govenor,did you clean or replace the trans cooler and lines?
Nope, I forgot to do that, I just spoke to him a little while ago and he said there's probably some dirt in it. He said to bring it in and he'll drop the valve body and check it. I sure hope that's all it is, I can't believe how hard this thing was banging! Funny thing is it works good when cold, it's just after it heats up.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.