Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - having problems with new 383 stroker motor
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2008, 11:55 PM

Last journal entry: dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Well, it's a little late but i'll give at least take a shot at this. The intake and carb package you have is a good package, it's the same thing I have on my 383. The biggest thing that jumps out at me is your compression ratio. It's hard to say what cc head the compression ratio of 9.5 : 1 was for. If that's 9.5 : 1 with let's say 64 cc combustion chambers then you're going to get a bit lower number with your 70 cc chambers.

Other than that the only immediate thing that would jump out would be carb tuning / timing. I'm pretty terrible at tuning, but I've found that many degrees of advance tend to give you much better high rpm response / power, but tends to leave your lower end a little soft. you've got a package that's advertised as being good from 1500 to 6000 rpm so sacrificing some of that top end grunt for a little bottom end might help. you can also get distributer kits that have different weights and springs to change what your advance curve looks like, this might help, especially if you're using a stock distributor.

Also, what's your rear gear and weight of your vehicle, as these will all effect the feel you get as the driver. a lighter vehicle with 4.10's in the rearend is obviously going to feel like a different animal off the line than a heavier vehicle with 3.08's. but this difference might be less noticeable once you're rolling and the rev's start building.

just my 2 cents.

on a side note, if money is really not an problem look at forced induction, low compression ratio engines typically take well to that .

Hope that helped.

hotrod