Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - having problems with new 383 stroker motor
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2008, 12:03 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary 4866
My name is Gary. I have built a new 383 stroker motor that t I am very disappointed in. I thought I would have alot more torge and hospower.

This is what I have.

383 block now. all machine work done at a speed shop.lower end
have 1.9.5.1 compression pistons.
Edelbrock 170cc heads 70 cc
Edlebrock 7102 roller cam 234* intake and 244* exchust 488 lift on intake and 510 lift on exchust LBA is 112*
Edlebroker proformer RPM maifold
750 Edlebrook carb
MSD ignition

don't have any low end torge, runs like hell after 3000 RPM
Running 16 initial timing hook up vacumm advance to full vacumm up to 34* all in at 2500 RPM final advance at 52* at 3000 RPM
four speed transmission (Manueal)
Cain anybody help, where did I go wrong
I want to make this a mean street machine. not racing on track. Money is no problem.

Gary
That's a lot of camshaft for the street. My impression of the heads are that the ports are too small and combustion chambers too big. In the first case small ports emphasize the reversion qualities of an over cammed engine at low speed and aren't big enough to let the engine breath at high speed. The cam emphasizes the former and hides the latter for awhile at least.

I can't speak to compression without knowing what the pistons are or what the deck clearance and gasket thickness is, but my first impression with 70cc chambers is that you're risking insufficient compression if these other things I site are a little on the big side. I know you state the pistons are 9.5 but this is something that has to be measured, if that number comes off somebody's documentation, who knows what it really is?

52 degrees of advance is an awful lot.

Vehicle weight and final gearing come into play as well.

Bogie