Having problems with the tail lights... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2007, 03:08 AM
Getting distracted at work...

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Having problems with the tail lights...

I bought the universal wiring harness from KeepItClean and things were slow at first, but after I got the engine's wiring hooked up and squared away, and started organizing the wires; things aren't quite as hectic and stressful. But the one problem that I am still having is with the tail lights. First the setup...There is one wire marked "Brake light" and one wire marked "R Park Light" and turn sig wires for each side of the car. I ran the brake light wire to the right side of the car along with the parking light wire and tied them together at the end and hooked them to one of the two wires going to the actual light. then I spliced a wire from the brake light and parking light wires on the left side of the car and ran those to the light... and grounds to go with the light fixtures.
Heres what they're doing... with no other ex. lights on, the brakes lights work with no problem. But if the brakes lights are on, the left turn sig will work, but the right doesnt. And if I have my tail lights on(wether it is just parking or headlight) The brake switch doesnt make the lights get brighter. I think the turn sigs still work with lights in but I could be mistaken... Any ideas of what could be wrong with my setup? Oh yeah...Wasnt to worried about it, but if it helps someone diagnose the prob....When I hit my brake switch(with no othewr lights on) my front parking lights light up in rythme with the brake lights...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2007, 05:13 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

Sounds like your rear harness is wired totally wrong...

First, Traditionally, the tail lamps will be two filament bulbs..(unless you have a row of singles..)Those Filaments separate and isolate the three systems..and make them function visibly correct.

OF the two filaments, one is brighter than the other..the brighter filament is the Turnsignal/Brake lamp systems..The dimmer of the two is the tail/park light systems. You need to first determine which is which (power testing) and mark the socket wires as such.

Connect the wire that Say's signal left to the brighter filament on the left side..then connect the wire that says signal right to the right bright..

Next connect the wire that says tail lamps to the dimmer filament (on either side) and parallel a wire off to the opposite side lower filament..your park lamps will parallel in here also..

If it's not already provided for on the harness plugs, the wire that says brake lamp will go to the turnsignal plug at the column harness plug..If the harness plug already has a wire for brake lamps..this wire may be for a third brake lamp...

The way the system works, is the turnsignal switch gets power from it's flasher direct..The brake lamps are also run through the turnsignal switch..

The TS switch separates and isolates the left from the right, and brakes from signals through the switch multiplexing..

Without that, if you were making a turn, stepped on the brakes, you would not see the flashing filament (same luminance) AND without isolation, (left from right, and brake lamps) you'd always get a 4 way flash with signals..

The TS switch is (of sorts) two, single throw , Double pole switches , the center wiper (movable contact) being the lamp socket, the normally OPEN contact being power from the flasher, and the normally CLOSED contact being the brake lamp switch. One for the left side one for the right side..

When you select , for instance the left signal, AND you are at a stop light, the switch movable contact closes with the normally open contact, and opens the normally closed contact, this SHUTS off the left brake lamp signal, and turns ON the left flasher (same filament) Without the switch multiplexing you'd never see the signal lamp and , if wired common, you'd get 4 ways back-feeding through the brake lamps..

The tail lamps and park lamps do not need isolation as they are on a common circuit..one exception is if you have clearance lamps that DO go out in headlamp function..to determine this, just meter the park lamp line, in park, then in headlamps modes, if power goes away in headlamp, then that is for clearance lamps. If you tie that wire then to the tail lamp wire it will then back feed to the clearance lamps when in headlamp mode..which may not be desired.

That should set it straight.

Doc
Old 04-16-2007, 08:58 PM
Getting distracted at work...

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I'll tell you how it goes

Doc...As usual, your advice is accepted with much graditude. My car is at a friends house about thirty min from me so I cant fix it until Thursday. But I'll send you a message to tell you how it all turns out. I'll be posting pictures of the new interior( completely custom, of course) if you want to take a look.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:06 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

Yes , would be very interested..I may be doing one n my own for the first time..no kit ..

Doc

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.