Hot Rod Forum banner

Having trouble finding the "right" shade of red i want.

3K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  Ratchet 
#1 ·
Ok heres the deal. ive been looking through several color books etc for this red. only place ive seen it is on the cover of jon kosmoskis book "kustom painting secrets". its almost like a neon redish orange color but at the same time you can tell that it is not a neon. its a solid color and i know its not a stock color off of any car ive ever seen. since its kosmoskis book i would think that it would be a house of kolor product but none of there reds in the chart come close.. has anyone seen a color this book or a color that im describing? this may be a very vague or even one of those dumb questions but someone out there may know what im talking about.

#3 ·
Sounds like you are describing Porsche red. That was the politically correct color to paint your car if you wanted it featured in a rod mag in the late 80s - early 90s. Seemed like way over half the rods at a run would be Porsche red. Very bright red leaning toward the orange side of the spectrum. You will be amazed when yo start studying reds trying to find the perfect color that there isn't a pure red! They either lean orange or purple in your eyeball.

#5 · (Edited)
This is the book. The picture really dosen't do it justice.
It's a VIBRANT red.
Like a bright red that's about to turn orange.

The red they used on Boyd C's '55 was about red as it get's.
He even had it named after him. Boyd Red.

I'm going by the paint store tommorow and will ask my guy if he knows what it is as they are a HOK jobber.

Attachments

#6 ·
yea.. i dont like the boyds red either.. im starting to get really picky with the color red i want.. ive narrowed it down to this one but this is my starting point in finding the actual color. im going to bring this book to my jobber tomorrow or the next day but im hoping someone on here will have the info im looking for..

#8 ·
yea i know what you mean also.. ive already looked for a red red that was kandy for another project.. its prolly possible with a little bit of mixing but i just havent gotten around to it. most kandy reds are more on the maroon or wayyy to dark red side.

#10 ·
If you start with a orangy red base and apply candy red over it you might end up with the effect you're after. Ford had a true solid red tricoat that glowed fairly good a few years back- using the transparent red from that formula over the right color base might also do the trick. Just some ideas, Bob

#14 ·
That bike on the cover looks like the one Dave Periwitz did for the biker build off, if it is then Rosewood is right. This is a special mix for Mario Andretti,he had one of his race cars painted that color and if my memory serves me will, I think Periwitz had to get permission to use it. Do a search on Periwitz and then call him and ask what color it is. I would check the spelling of his name I don't know if I have it right. Good luck

#15 ·
No this book came out long before Dave's biker build off. The andretti red is darker. The inside cover of the book says that the bike was painted with an HOK single stage but the only single stage red they have is kosmo red and its darker as well. maybe its special mixed by dave or his painter but this color has to exist elsewhere i would think.

#16 ·
the only orange/red standard hok color i can think of is ultra orange pearl. its an intense red/orange color. only other thing would be molly orange. about the same thing but solid. if you want it more red then use a mixture of molly orange and blue blood to make it the shade you want. remember that pictures never show colors correct.

#17 ·
mrcleaner6 is THE MAN with HOK.
It's Moly Orange for SURE. With maybe a hint of Red?
I checked the SS color chips today and that is a CLOSE match for it. :thumbup:
What exactly it looks like in real life is a mystery but worth a shot.
I was checking out the Hot Hue's DuPont Candy's today and depending on which size metallic you use is a NICE shade.

HOK is recommending the Kandy base coat now over the KK concentrate as it's a "little" cheaper and you already have it mixed instead of having to mix your own. I ended up getting the KK and some Nason "transport" to experiment with. We'll SEE. :welcome:

#23 ·
That color will change it's "personality" based on what you spray under it. You may wish to try a test panel of that color over some common bases or sealers like white, grey, black, and red oxide. Lay down 3 nice coats and a smooth clear coat and let it stand for a day. I always prefer a white base. Once exposed to intense light the color will be very "chromatic" and more sudued in overcast or shaded lighting. Perhaps that base over white may be too much intensity. Just a thought.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.