having a wiper problem in my chevy truck, and a taillight fashing problem in my GMC - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2006, 07:44 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

having a wiper problem in my chevy truck, and a taillight fashing problem in my GMC

I have an 84 chevy pickup, and not sure how to go about fixing this problem. It has the plain jane wiper control (no intermittent, just hi/lo) the problem is that when you run the wipers, when you shut it off, the wipers stick wherever you shut them off at, they dont return to the bottom of the window automatically like they should. Not sure what part of the wiper system controls that function.

I also have a 95 GMC Jimmy (S-15) I had it to the chevy dealer recently to have the ignition module replaced, and ever since I got it back, when I start it up, the taillights and the 3rd brakelight all flash together, almost like the 4 ways were on. nothing in the front flashes when this happens, nor does the turn signals flash inside (like they do when 4 ways are on) It doesnt do this all the time, and I had it back to the dealer twice, and they basically told me I was nuts. Any ideas? (I already know I'm nuts)

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2006, 10:16 PM
OldSchool MotorHead

84 Chevy-Park switch broken inside the wiper motor

95 Jimmy-Do you have a trailer harness, and if so, does it go through a relay box?
Old 01-27-2006, 10:35 PM
ASE Master but no genius

Wiper prob

He's right. Replace the wiper motor. It's the cheapest way.

It's very possible that the ign module is defective-or even the wrong one! Yes it can happen. It's happened to me, and it's always been mid 90's GM vehicles that I've encountered weird stuff like that. Just like an incorrect ECM will plug in to the harness, but some things will not work correctly, if at all, and other things will work when they're not supposed to. But then again, it may just be an extreme coincidence that the planets aligned just right and then you're just out of luck no matter what!!! LOL
The trailer harness idea may be a justified concern, also. Or maybe a defective turn signal switch. Or...a ground that wasn't reconnected.
Happy hunting!
Old 01-27-2006, 11:51 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

Here is the wire diagram for the 84 wiper motor, no frills..

Note that the control logic for the wiper is GROUND and power is Constant "HOT IN RUN " . Each of the wires 1 pink, 2 PPL, 3 Gray run between the switch and the motor direct, the ground for these is selected by the switch center wiper, (Black wire) Each gives a different speed, high/MED/LOW..

4 LT BLUE and 5 WHT, are the Washer motor, 6 Gray and 7 white are the wiper motor.

Check the Wires for continuity through the system, also you can ground wires 1,2,and 3 one at a time and when you remove the ground, it should cycle one time and park.

If not check to be sure the motor body has a good ground..If all that checks out, The Park switch internal the motor may be broken or out of adjustment as Techin~Tool mentioned.

On the other truck, Given the problems you have had, I'd look at the Steering column connector, and the harness running through it.

If it were worn and shorting to Ignition and TS/BRAKE-LAMPS inside the column, It would take a module out..

Now that the module is fixed, you get the lights intermittently lighting up when the column is in a certain position and you go through a crank cycle (power off momentarily to the car, except the ignition) setting off the lights..

Ohm that column plug and harness switch out, and shake it around while you do it..This harness fails regularly because of the constant movement of the column.

Doc
Old 01-28-2006, 06:45 AM

thanks for the wiper motor tips.

When the GMC taillights flash. it stops by playing with the hazard lamp switch, but it is a new switch also, GM replaced it when they did the ignition module
Old 01-28-2006, 07:20 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Only thing about the wiper motor, there are 4 different ones that I have found in Chevy trucks I have had over the years.

The lighting problem, I would be better off in newer GM models by saying the BCM which controls lighting and related stuff.

I don't know if your 95 would have one, but the fix is the same for the newer BCM's- a fault can be cleared by using the hazard button.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.