Hawaii Racing - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2010, 11:35 PM
have a pheasant plucking day

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Hawaii Racing.com

O.K. I have been searching and looking around here for a while to find out what kind of piston I should use for my sbc build. I was going to go with the speed pro hypereutectics but it seems that most find these to be at the bottom of the barrel for a good build. I am doing like most people and trying to stay on a tight budget but there are some places that you should not go cheep in. I have decided to go with a set of forged pistons, now trying to keep that on the cheep is hard to do but after allot of searching I came across one web sight that had the speed pro forged pistons for unbelievable price of $39.95 a piece, this was the cheapest I had found them, there part # is STE-L2491F 030 and located here http://www.hawaiiracing.com/?page=sh...&PHPSESSID=cf2 .
I had never herd of this place and tried to find any posts on the web with a review about them, but all I could find out is that they have an eBay store but allot of places do nowaday. I had sent them an email about there S&H charges since there sight doest list any and I also had a question about payment. I couldnt wait for a reply as I wanted to get a jump on these at there great price so I called them and after I started off with my question about there S&H the guy stops me and asked me if I had sent an email earlier about this to them, which I was surprised and said, why yes I did. Here is where it all goes down the $h1tter, apparently the price is wrong on there website because that was there price back when they were trying to get rid of them but "THATS NOT THERE PRICE NOW"!!!
He goes on to tell me that he's out of stock on them and will have to order them from Federal Mogul and that the $39.95 price would be way under cost and he cant sell them to me for that, he typed some numbers into his calculator and tells me that a set of 8 would be $479 before the tax and shipping. If you figure that out the new cost on them now are $59 a piece, thats $20 over the original listed price. I was surprised at the new cost and thought that he should honor the price they are listed for and still are. I understand that he needs to make money but what ever happened to customer satisfaction/service/is always right?
He didnt even offer to give them to me @ cost or not even the mention of free shipping...........nothing!!! I work for a company that also sells on the Internet and they will always honor there prices, even if there is a mistake made, they figure its not the customers fault for the mistake so they shouldnt have to pay, they want to keep the customer happy so they will come back again and again because thats what companies do that want to stay in business, not piss off the customer so they wont come back. I dont know this company Hawaii Racing but this was my first impression of them and it wasnt a good one, it has left a bad taste in my mouth so I thought that I would post my experience with them so if others out there are trying to find info on them they might stumble across this. I am not saying that they screwed me in any way but this is a BIG RED FLAG on what you can expect from there customer service or customer relations. I just told the guy that I can get them from Scoggin Dickey for $5 more a piece, unfortunately thats $40 more (remember budget build) but I will have me a set of good forged pistons.
Threw my searches it seems Federal Mogul, sealed power, speed pro and TRW are all in the same family.
Thanks for reading
GM

Advertisement

Last edited by greenmoonshine; 05-11-2010 at 11:53 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2010, 11:39 PM

Last photo:

I thought that I would mention that there price is still showing the $39.95 as of now but I figure that they will change it soon...........maybe
Old 05-12-2010, 12:11 AM
More for Less Racer

Competition Products shows Icon(Kieth Black)Forged for $320, and Probe Forged at $413, Summit has the 2491 for $415.

The Icon are as good or better than Speed-Pro, nicer machining.

I dealt with Hawaii Racing once before, Pop-up solid roller lifters. They were junk, CAT , appeared to be improperly heat treated as the bodies scuffed real fast and roller axle failure with less than 200 miles on them. They did nothing for warrantee.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:53 AM

Last photo:

Hmmm, located in Simi Valley?
Giving Hawaii a bad name...
Old 05-13-2010, 05:43 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnova72
Pop-up solid roller lifters. They were junk, CAT , appeared to be improperly heat treated as the bodies scuffed real fast and roller axle failure with less than 200 miles on them
Have you used any other CAT products? I see they make allot of stuff for motors, just wondered if it was all cheep Chinese junk.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:23 PM
More for Less Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmoonshine
Have you used any other CAT products? I see they make allot of stuff for motors, just wondered if it was all cheep Chinese junk.
Have used their rods, stock appearing but 5140 material, no problems with them in 6+ years. Used their cast 383 crank, full of cracks after 3 years, luckY it didn't explode on us, should have known as the quality(just how it looked too) was lower than SCAT, and lower even than Eagle. Replaced this crank with a Scat piece, still using the Cat rods(with the 2491 pistom, BTW), has been fine for 3 years now at 10.60's 1/4 mile in 3400 car and hit with 150 spray.

My opinion is CAT is pretty hit or miss on stuff, I'd want to look at every piece before I bought it unless I had used each particular piece before. There is enough low cost good parts out there(SCAT!) that I don't even bother with CAT anymore, just that one engine was enough for me.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:55 PM
turbo lag......yeeeeehaaaaaaw

Last photo:

Hawaii racing is less than an hour away from me and I never go there for the reasons you stated. They used to honor the website prices but they did it with an attitude. Now they just don't care.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.