Hay guys has anyone used ultra copper RTV in exhausts ?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2011, 11:51 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Hay guys has anyone used ultra copper RTV in exhausts ??

Hay guys has anyone used ultra copper RTV on exhausts ??

I a a few leaks at the the y-pipe connections and was thinking of the best way to seal it without replacing the y-pipe or exhaust system.

It sound like it will work, but for how long and how good is this stuff ??

Here is what the website says:

"OEM specified. Highest operating temperatures for 4-cylinder, turbocharged or high-performance engines. The most advanced, high temp RTV silicone gasket available. Sensor-safe, low odor, noncorrosive. Superior adhesion. Three times more oil resistant than conventional silicones; eight times more flexible than cut gaskets. Temperature range -75F to 700F (-59C to 371C) intermittent; resists auto and shop fluids and vibration.

Suggested Applications: Exhaust manifolds/ headers, valve covers, oil pans, timing covers, water pumps, thermostat housings"

My exhaust doesn't have gaskets on either side of the y pipe, just a metal donut and ring at the manifold end, and nothing at the exhaust end.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2011, 01:23 PM

Last photo:

here is a picture of the passenger side leak.
Would the orange rtv work here or not ??

Old 05-24-2011, 01:29 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Silicone- even hi-temp silicone- will not work for any length of time.

Unless I'm mistaken, the "front" joints use a "donut" type gasket made of either iron or an asbestos-type material. If so they should be available new. The rear" joint looks to be the type that uses an interference fit to seal. They should only require the joint be assembled straight.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:36 PM

Last photo:

Yes cobolt the 9 is an iron donut and the 6 a steel ring, but they both look in good shape.

How would a new one make much difference, as it seems the flange is where the distortion is?

So are you saying the copper rtv is just a temp fix = a waste of time.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:52 PM

Last journal entry: Body mods
Last photo:

I have used the red and Ultra Copper on exhaust several times. I couldn't make manifold gaskets hold on my old 390 so I just put them on with Ultra and no gasket. Over 4 years and still going with no leak.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:05 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by old yukon
Yes cobolt the 9 is an iron donut and the 6 a steel ring, but they both look in good shape.

How would a new one make much difference, as it seems the flange is where the distortion is?

So are you saying the copper rtv is just a temp fix = a waste of time.
Yes, IMO the RTV is a temporary fix- if there's any gap, the RTV will not last, and even having it adhere to a rusted surface is also iffy at best. What you are doing is a lot different than sealing an exhaust manifold to a head.

If the flanges on either side of the donuts are actually distorted, a fresh 'gasket' might do nothing to help the situation other than assure the gasket was not the cause.

What I would recommend is to loosen the entire system back to where there's some sort of an "adjustable" joint- like a slip fit joint that is loose, for instance. Then beginning at the engine, start tightening the exhaust up working towards the rear. This should assure none of the joints are in a bind and are straight as can be when you tighten the joints.

If you want to try the RTV anyway, take the metal down to bare metal, clean w/lacquer thinner or acetone, then apply it following the directions for 'skin time'.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:23 PM

Last photo:

The rear union will seal with RTV. The front is going to need some kind of compression gasket seal to work long term. The aftermarket parts for this application may be made to help with the re-seal of used parts.

I use only red RTV on race car header flanges and have had no problems due to heat and get a betterseal than with any gasket,but, there is no backpressure to speak of either.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:25 PM
From the middle of the world

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

I own a muffler shop and always use RTV, red works great, never used ultra 'cos is more expensive, I have also used grey with very good results, disasemble the joint, clean up well all the mating surfaces, coat them with a ligth coat of rtv and reasemble, wait at least an hour before you start the engine.

if it fails again replace gaskets and use rtv again, for the joints that don't use gaskets make sure they are not warped, if so the rtv won't hold up, make up a gasket out of thick high temp gasket material and cover it up with rtv, problem solved. not sure if you guys can buy asbestos composite gasket material, theres nothing better for turbo flanges.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:27 PM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: Try again
Last photo:

i have used the copper with good luck

i would get new gaskets and put some of the copper on'em and you will be good to go

Last edited by matts37chev; 05-24-2011 at 06:34 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:00 AM

Last photo:

I've used the copper RTV on the Turbo to Exhaust manifold on my Grand National and I've used it on the slip fit of the long tube headers on my Procharged LT1 Firebird. The Firebird was leaking at the slip fit and givng me a lean code on that bank O2 sensor. Used copper RTV on the slip joint and code disappeared. Been there 5 years. So yes I think it works.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:51 PM

Last photo:

5 years Dougie!!, that sounds good to me, thumbs up for red/copper RTV.
After preping and cleaning the exhaust connections.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:49 PM
From the middle of the world

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

another aplication I have for the red RTV is the slip joints of the race go-karts that we drive over here, and I mean this machines are serious, this engines are 2 stroke 125cc that can make up to 60 hp at 19.000 rpm, if you calculate the hp per CID you'll be amazed, a SBC would make 2.736 hp if it was this efficent. The point is that the exhaust pipe of this engines gets up to 1.275 degrees continous, vibrates like hell and with lots of an oily mess, but the slip conection sealed with red goo never fails, actually I believe helps cushioning the joint to prevent breakage.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:55 PM

Last photo:

I'm find new uses for this thing everyday.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:36 PM

Ultra Copper

I have used Permatex Ultra Copper high temperature sealant on exhaust system slip joints and it has worked great. It seals so good that you would not be able to twist and pull the joint apart after it sets up but I still use U-clamps in the two locations where they are specified by the shop manual.

Older factory exhaust systems were mostly made of thin-wall 18 ga. tubing whereas aftermarket exhaust tubing is 16 ga. The thin wall tubing clamps easier with U-clamps and the thicker wall 16 ga. tubing does not clamp as well using U-clamps. Ultra Copper is good to use for extra leak prevention. That is one reason why muffler shops install welded exhaust systems and the other reason is because welding is quicker. If you tell a muffler shop to use U-clamps and Ultra Copper on the slip joints, they will tell you to take your car somewhere else.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:59 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by old yukon
I'm find new uses for this thing everyday.
Be aware that many- but not all- high temp (or regular for that matter) RTV sealants are safe for use where an O2 sensor is involved. So be sure and check before using if this is a concern for your vehicle.

Should you find that you need a different type of sealer altogether for your exhaust system, there are other options available. For example Hylomar has a compound that is made for this.

Last edited by cobalt327; 05-26-2011 at 04:04 PM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.