Hd rave post! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Off-Topic
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 12:38 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Hd rave post!

so I kept my tube tv with 780p for quite some time with barebones cable and on black Friday I decided to give the stampede a try and walked away with a nice 40" Samsung LED 1080P, a LG smart blu ray player, and HDMI cables. I then called the cable company to switch over to HD and through that the only hang up was re-newing my contract or pay a $7 fee for a new HD receiver-blah-blah-blah, so I bought one to avoid a new contract and fees and just ended up paying $10 more for HD channels I love like ESPN 1&2, TNT, discovery, and velocity TV. I had no clue what Velocity TV was til I saw all their car restoration programs. Man, this is night and day compared to SD and I got to watch Sunday football, Monday night football, basketball games on TNT, and also kick arse car shows on Velocity TV. I feel like a total couch potato but man, what an upgrade!

Two thumbs up for velocity TV. What a pleasent surprise bundled into all the new channels. HD is the real deal!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 12:49 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last wiki edit: List of hotrodding forums
Last journal entry: Trans swap
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

HD is the only way to view TV. And Velocity is a cool channel for us gear heads. My dad would have never upgraded so I bought him a 55" for Father's Day a couple of years back. I've had HD for about 5 years and paid Direct TV for the dish and receiver upgrade. Back then the only cables Direct TV gave you were RCA, and when I went out and bought HDMI cables, boy what a difference. I assume you are using HDMI? If not, be prepared for another leap towards picture perfection.

Bob
Old 12-05-2012, 12:53 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

Either you edited your post or I didn't read it well before I commented. See now you have the HDMI cables.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:07 PM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

yeah, totally in heaven right now. Channel #364 is The Velocity Channel and for my new programming #364 was supposed to be some Nat Geo channel called something Theatre. So I check all my channels and the only one missing was The Nat Geo one but right before I was about to call and complain I realized #364 was there but as Velocity Tv and not Nat Geo, so I decided to check it out and was excited to see it was 10x more welcoming than any Nat Geo channel. So that was kind of a little free perk I didn't expect. Gotta tip my cap to all those shows on there. They do awesome work and awesome editing.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:12 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

you ought to see the new cell phones that you can fit in your pocket too

welcome to the 21st century
Old 12-05-2012, 07:24 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

Just for you I hope they re-run "Hot Rod : An American Icon" hosted by Chip Foose. Some great footage and history, not his stuff, but like I said, history, like TV Tommy Ivo, Vic Edelbrock, Stu Hilborn.
The Following User Says Thank You to deckofficer For This Useful Post:
tech69 (12-06-2012)
Old 12-06-2012, 08:04 AM
NEVER SATISFIED !!

Last photo:

I'm a couple of centurys behind you guys so here is my question: Are the HDMI cables between the dish and receiver or between the receiver and the TV ?

I'm sort of embarressed to be this stupid. Sorry.

454 RATTLER
Old 12-06-2012, 09:17 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454 Rattler View Post
I'm a couple of centurys behind you guys so here is my question: Are the HDMI cables between the dish and receiver or between the receiver and the TV ?

I'm sort of embarressed to be this stupid. Sorry.

454 RATTLER
The cables run from the receiver to the tv, usually on the side of the TV. Many TV's now have 3-5 hdmi ports for different uses, DVD, WII, Cable, etc.

I had a heck of a time adapting to HD TV. It was just toooo...realistic. I am an old fart, it took awhile, at first I wasn't sure I like it. The people on the local news shows, make-up just doesn't cover everything like it does with regular TV..lol. Now when I watch regular TV, like in my motel room today, it just doesn't cut it.

Velocity has a bunch of cool shows, most are older shows but if you didn't see them whe they came out, they're new to you! The competition between the providers is intense, Direct has some original programming that is not available to other providers, and I am sure Dish has the same thing going on. Hell on Wheels is one that comes to mind, A&E network.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:02 AM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

not to mention the deals they offer to "new" customers only. Makes the current customers feel like they're getting ripped off. Just like buying an I-phone...you make your purchase and they come out with I-phone 20 right after you buy The I-phone 19.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:05 AM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

for you people just getting into hdmi and/or home theater for all your cable needs go to monoprice.com
buying cables on line are one tenth of the cost at best buy or your local retailer
hdmi, cat5, ethernet, network, phone, composition, rca, etc... i buy them all from monoprice
what's nice is that you can buy any length you need so that you don't have cable hanging all over the place
Old 12-06-2012, 10:13 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
not to mention the deals they offer to "new" customers only. Makes the current customers feel like they're getting ripped off. Just like buying an I-phone...you make your purchase and they come out with I-phone 20 right after you buy The I-phone 19.
When they raise the price, call and complain. I use the arguement that the new subscribers save while the "faithful" pay more. They will give you the discounted rate 9 times out of 10. If not, cancel or ask to speak to a supervisor. I had ATT last, got p,o.'d and cancelled. i had gotten discounted rates twice but was weary of running through the crap. A supervisor came on, offered me a discounted rate for 2 years, it was too late, I had direct ordered. When I took the ATT equipment to the UPS store, the guy working the store said he returned, on average, 15 of these units a day. Maybe they will figure it ut someday. My bill for ATT internet, phone and cable was $182 a month. Freakin ridiculous.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:36 PM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

they sure got your "bundle" didn't they?
Old 12-06-2012, 05:22 PM
NEVER SATISFIED !!

Last photo:

My thanks to dinger and orge for the info and the web site.

454 RATTLER
Old 12-07-2012, 10:02 AM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

orge is a round fruit

while your at it get a cheap bluray player even if you never rent/buy/use a bluray
the bluray player will upscale dvd play and make it feel like your in the movie
i had dvd and bluray hooked up and ended moving the dvd player to the basement
no comparison for the upscaled viewing vs dvd player

$182 for cable, net and phone??? wow is all i can say.
never had cable tv and got rid of the land line when the kids left.
i do have 10mbps cable internet that i pay $42/mth for and netflix for another $8/mth

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.