head ache. sbc heads - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2007, 03:50 PM

Last journal entry: back for 2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

head ache. sbc heads

i have a set of sbc heads that i think are 327 heads im not shure. i was told they are called blue boys they have been ported polished hogged out and they seem to have had some of the metal shaved off of the bottom. here are a few picks of the heads. i am building a 350 would it be wise to use these heads. what measurments do i need to make them work as far as how much the valves have been hogged and how much has been shaved off the bottom am i corect in thinking that i will need to adjust my intake to work with these heads. should i just look for anouther pair of heads to use. i had a nova setting in a freinds yard that i was just going to let the guy who had the heads have but when i seen the heads on an engine he was building i told him he could have the nova for the heads just didnt want to walk away empty handed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chead1.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	3.7 KB
ID:	19146   Click image for larger version

Name:	cheads2.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	1.5 KB
ID:	19147   Click image for larger version

Name:	cheads3.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	3.5 KB
ID:	19148   Click image for larger version

Name:	cheads4.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	3.3 KB
ID:	19149   Click image for larger version

Name:	cheads5.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	2.5 KB
ID:	19150  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2007, 05:07 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Those are 66-67 heads used on the 302, 327 and 350 High Performance motors. Those have the big valves and originally had 6 161/65cc port volumes, but no telling since they have been "hogged out". They do not have the accessory holes in the front so you will need some very specific brackets for your motor and may have to go after market to mount up what you want. Good heads in their day.

Trees
Old 03-05-2007, 05:15 PM

Last photo:

in there day? lol im guessing i should go with new aftermarket any idea of a brand where price and pro meet
Old 03-06-2007, 08:16 AM

Last photo:

If the heads are in good shape, guides ok ,no cracks, not hogged out to thin(hit water) run em ,they will support well over 400 horsepower. Newer heads are better but on a street ride these will make plenty of power.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:44 AM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Never heard of them refered to as Blue Boy's but....
most refer to these heads as "camel backs", "camel hump", or "fuelie heads" The 462 heads are actually not "fuelie heads" the 461X head is the real "fuelie head". 1964-5 327-375hp fuel injected corvette. Had a extra large intake port. The 462 is simular and used on 327-300/325/350hp motors and some 302-290hp Z28 motors from the 60's

The up side, they have good (but not great) flow (even better with porting)
A better combustion chamber than the 70's smoggers, (even better when modded)
the down side: Hard to find castings that are not junk. 1965-66 was a long time ago. many are cracked, many are shaved to the max and will crack, Many have corrosion scars on the decks. They do not have hardened exhaust seats for unleaded gas and do not have accessory bolt holes on the ends for mounting the alternator using a 1969 and later (long) water pump. many are over ported. The intake and exhaust openings have been opened up so much that the gaskets regularly blow out. Not enough meat around the opening to get a gasket seal that will last. Many, even experienced head porters port them that way 'cause by themselves they flow more on a flow bench (cause the opening is just plain, bigger), but flow no more when the intake manifold is attached. Last time I checked, motors don't run without a intake manifold.
There are much better heads today. The 1996-2000 GM L-31 350 vortec head is a much better head in every way.
Even the GM L98 TPI aluminum and cast heads are more desirable as the base for a high performance buildup.

Prior to GM releasing the first cast iron "Bowtie heads" and Dart/ World selling the Sportsman heads, the Camel Back heads were the only game in town.
The old camel backs used to be the Junk Yard Jewels back in the day, but not any more.
Depending on the year and condition of the car the Nova is probabily worth more than the heads are.

Last edited by F-BIRD'88; 03-06-2007 at 11:07 AM.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:08 AM

Last photo:

the nova was in wonderful shape but i dont really car not a nova guy and i was giving it away for free any way. i have found that waht goes around comes around. a few days after i gave the nova away i had an brand new aluminum radiatior with duel electric fans, 650 cfm edlebrock carb n performer intake given to me. i have a 2 qjet carbs think im gonna sell the edelbrock and rebuild on of the qjets. not really woried about the heads would have been nice have gotten beter ones but im going to ask around for a set of L31 heads. i have my eye on a complete engine but at this time i have my doubts about its worth. thanks for the help to bad these heads shure do look good.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:59 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Maybe we have mislead you a bit on these heads. They are no slouches unless too much metal has been removed. I am running a set on my 327 with EFI and am very happy with them. I have Edelbrock ETec 200 on my 383 with EFI and am happy with them. The ETecs cost me 4 times the big valve Camel Humps and I have to burn premium gas in that motor but that is apples and oranges. If you are planning a street motor to be driven a lot and not much time at the strip, then you will like these old technology heads.

Trees
Old 03-07-2007, 02:32 PM

Last photo:

The problem i see with his heads is they were never releaved on the chamber side for the big valve. So the head will not flow as good as it can and maybe worst.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:03 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by excaliberprime
i have a set of sbc heads that i think are 327 heads im not shure. i was told they are called blue boys they have been ported polished hogged out and they seem to have had some of the metal shaved off of the bottom. here are a few picks of the heads. i am building a 350 would it be wise to use these heads. what measurments do i need to make them work as far as how much the valves have been hogged and how much has been shaved off the bottom am i corect in thinking that i will need to adjust my intake to work with these heads. should i just look for anouther pair of heads to use. i had a nova setting in a freinds yard that i was just going to let the guy who had the heads have but when i seen the heads on an engine he was building i told him he could have the nova for the heads just didnt want to walk away empty handed.
You never "adjust" the intake. If enough is taken off to effect the seal then the intake surface of the head should be milled to adjust.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.