head, componant choices. ford 302 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-29-2004, 09:21 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

head, componant choices. ford 302

Im helping my uncle build his 302, strange how that works.... I think hes still mad that my camaro is faster than his mustang. any ways, I was thinking of using the edelbrock performer rpm aluminum heads or the world products windsor jr or sr lite heads. I havent heard much about the world heads and im still undecided about what valve size and runner size he really needs but so far im leaning twards edelbrocks set. im looking into the summit rebuild set the 10.13:1 forged piston kit. I used a similar set on my 355 and its working out nicely.
we are going with the stock rods and crank, arp rod bolts, I think he has the roller block to start with(85) so im going to keep it roller, what is the largest roller cam (comp cams) he could use with out a stall converter? he has a manual now but the t5 isnt known for its durability. he wants to go auto and i dont know why but he doesn't want a stall converter.... oh well not my car. he does want the choppy idle though.
He has headers on the car already so the exh. side is good. the intake manifold is stock so i want to run a stealth on it, i have 2 and they seem to flow very well. I was thinking a speed demon double pumper maybe a 575. I have a 650 vs on my 355 and its a lot of carb, i will end up talking to tech when i am ready for the carb. what do you guys think of the set up? should we go with the dp or the vs? it is a street, strip car and he has gutted it out some. If any one sees any holes in my line up do tell me, im a chevy guy and some things about ford parts are a bit different. I am trying to stay away from rail rockers he wants to run the comp cams pro magnum roller rockers at the stock ratio. will the pistons clear the 2.02 valves or would it be cheaper to run 1.94's? It will be bored .030 over. any help is appreciated, thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2004, 06:48 AM
brains

Last photo:

Both heads will work fine. The dart heads come both in cast iron and aluminum, so if your on a budget, you can go with the cast iron and save a few bucks. The dart heads have a 64cc chamber and pretty good sized runners. If I remember correctly they flow 235cfm on the intake and 150cfm on the exhaust. With some exhaust port work you can get 180-185cfm with no problem at all. The dart heads are going to give you alot more to work with then the VS heads. The VS heads may give you better low end, and torque, while the WP heads are going to give you more topend and horsepower. Keep in mind also that the WP heads also come in a 1.94 intake version, although you shouldnt have any problems with valve clearance. The VS heads you mentioned are more of a mild performance item. They are a good bolt on item if your motor is stock, and your just wanted a few extra hp, without many other modifications. They work great with FI cars using stock cams. Hope this helps a little

Ben
Old 03-01-2004, 12:07 PM

Last photo:

we have about 3500 to work with. when i figured it with out tax and machine work it came to around 3100. Im thinking of going with a cam with a 220-230 duration and around .500 lift I have to go talk to the machine shop and see what cams are out there, summit and jegs dont seem to have too many roller cams advertised. He wants more of a low to mid power band than top end, since this is going to be a cruiser too. gears are in the 3:1 range i dont remember what ones exactly maybe even closer to 4:1, it was a 4 cyl when he got it. when you say vs heads which are you referring to? thanks for replying keep the help coming. I think im going to do some looking in my ford mags and see if i cant find some builds to go off from. thanks for the help

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.