Head gasket question? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2006, 11:03 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Head gasket question?

Hey guys, I usually hang out in the Body Exterior section but need a little help.

1993 1.5L D15 engine with about 90,000 miles. About 2 months ago the head gasket gave up and I was getting antifreeze into one cylinder so it was over heating. I pulled the top end and had the head reworked at a machince shop. (Valve job and shaved flat.) I put it all back together with an OEM Honda head gasket and it ran better than ever.

Fast forward to this weekend. It started to overheat again. I just pulled the plugs to do a compression test and when I went to crank it to test the first cylinder antifreeze squirted up out of one cylinders spark plug hole. Has to be the head gasket again.

My question: Is there an aftermarket head gasket that might hold better or do you think the block deck has a flatness problem? When I pulled the head the last time I put a straight edge on the block deck and it seemed to be OK.

I'm trying to decide if I want to put another head gasket on or call this motor history.

How about this stuff? Does it work? Worth trying? http://www.steelseal.com/eng/purchase.html

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2006, 01:17 AM

I don't know if this helps...but I did a Honda Civic '92 /93?. The customer had taken his vehicle to the Honda Dealership and had the cylinder head gasket changed two times. He looked up a bulletin in Alldata or Mitchell on Demand and it told him about a replacement head-gasket for this type of problem...The stock Honda head-gasket was a silvery graphite style that if immersed in coolant turned to a mush...the Honda correct replacement was a layered "shim style" head-gasket...The Honda parts-men did not know of this part, as Honda did not redirect them to the correct new part. I installed this new style gasket and the problem has been rectified. I don't know if this same gasket will pertain to your problem, but it's worth looking into. Check this out at your local garage that has either one of those online repair directories...they pay a yearly subscription to have this info...you may have to give them some greenbacks for there time and info...Hope this helps!!!Cheers!
Old 03-28-2006, 12:25 PM
Drive it Like u Stole it!

I have a 1991 D16 Honda motor that blew a head gasket a couple years ago (small crack allowing antifreeze to slowly enter one cylinder causing smoke). It turns out that Honda still uses variations of the D-series motors in their latest vehicles, and that they've upgraded to multi-layered steel headgaskets - different from the pressed-style gaskets of the earlier 90s. The MLS (multi-layered steel) gaskets are slightly thinner than the pressed-style, and also require a smoother mating surface on the cylinder head. Works great! I believe it raises compression by about 0.2-0.3, but early D-series motors were at 9.1:1 compression ratio anyhow. When buying a headgasket, specify a 1998 Honda Civic Ex (SOHC V-TEC).

And if you didnt do it in the past, run a tap to chase the headbolt's holes before re-mounting everything. Also, the intake manifold has a small antifreeze hole in it, that passes through a rubber o-ring in the intake manifold gasket. Sometimes, if you re-use the intake manifold gasket, it leaks antifreeze into the #1 cylinder. A new gasket is $10.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermind
I don't know if this helps...but I did a Honda Civic '92 /93?. The customer had taken his vehicle to the Honda Dealership and had the cylinder head gasket changed two times. He looked up a bulletin in Alldata or Mitchell on Demand and it told him about a replacement head-gasket for this type of problem...The stock Honda head-gasket was a silvery graphite style that if immersed in coolant turned to a mush...the Honda correct replacement was a layered "shim style" head-gasket...The Honda parts-men did not know of this part, as Honda did not redirect them to the correct new part. I installed this new style gasket and the problem has been rectified. I don't know if this same gasket will pertain to your problem, but it's worth looking into. Check this out at your local garage that has either one of those online repair directories...they pay a yearly subscription to have this info...you may have to give them some greenbacks for there time and info...Hope this helps!!!Cheers!
You are correct. I found this out and used the head gasket called for in the bulletin this past weekend. It also calls for special head bolts. The car is running fine so far
Old 03-28-2006, 05:52 PM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

As was said above, there are upgraded gaskets offered to rectify the problem. I must also add that in no circumstances are Scotch® Rol-Loc pads to be used to clean the gasket mating surfaces.

tom
Old 03-28-2006, 08:01 PM

Last photo:

Gotta love those bulletins, too bad you didn't see it earlier, sucks to have to do a HEAD job on a honda more than once, or anything to a honda more than once.

Today i did brakes on an earlier honda were you gotta pull the axle and drop the ball joint to get the rotor off, FUN FUN FUN

Brendan
Old 04-06-2006, 12:47 AM
Check the water, check the oil

Last photo:

What are some things that cause head gaskets to crack? I have a small crack in mine, too, and it's a pretty new engine (2500 to 3000 miles on it now), and it's leakin' the anti freeze into the #5 cylinder, and now has a huge loss of power, and it sounds like tacks dropping onto a metal plate when I accelerate.
Old 04-06-2006, 02:37 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

Warped or cracked surfaces, wrong gasket installation, unclean surfaces, wrong torque, Failure to follow torque pattern specifications, Failure to ues the two step torque proceedure, stretched head bolts, incorrect installation, failure to re~torque after break in, failure to add water during break in...poor workmanship.

Doc

Last edited by docvette; 04-06-2006 at 02:39 AM. Reason: bumbling big thumbitis..most used key..backspace

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.