Which head gasket to use on zero deck sbc - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2010, 07:33 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Which head gasket to use on zero deck sbc

I am almost ready to assemble my engine but need to order a few final parts first. I am going to be running flat top speed-pro 4.030" pistons which the block has been zero-decked to. I am also using 76cc World Products S/R Torquer heads that will put my CR at approximately 9-9.1:1. I was planning on using the Fel-Pro 7733PT2 head gaskets that came in my gasket kit. They have a compressed thickness of .039" and a bore of 4.125". I have seen recommendations of using a gasket with compressed thickness of .040 or .041 with a zero decked motor. Can this small difference in thickness really make an noticeable difference? It also looks like the .040 and .041 gaskets are made of much better materials which must account for the cost difference.

I think I will order either the Fel-Pro Z1142 @ $75 or the Fel-Pro Z1003 at $35. Why the big difference in price and will either work for me?

Thank You,

Derek

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2010, 07:49 PM
Everything is HAMMER!

Last photo:

I'd rather see a 4.060x.035, but what you have should work well.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:04 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroker_SS
I'd rather see a 4.060x.035, but what you have should work well.
Are you talking about the gaskets that came in my kit? Are these inferior to the higher priced gaskets and more likely to fail? Or should they work well and hold up with my setup?
Old 05-18-2010, 09:03 PM
More for Less Racer

What you already have will be just fine, it will take more HP than SR heads will make to hurt them. Don't worry about the .001" thinner either.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:51 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnova72
What you already have will be just fine, it will take more HP than SR heads will make to hurt them. Don't worry about the .001" thinner either.
Cool, thanks that is what I will do.

It's funny that both of you that have replied are from Lower Michigan. I grew up in Pinckney, MI and now live in San Diego.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:08 PM
Everything is HAMMER!

Last photo:

My intentions were to flee the state for warmer climates(tenn or NC) after I graduated my tech school "because there were NO field related jobs in Michigan". Problem is the ONLY field related job(that would hire a newbie) that I found happened to be right next door in Romulus. Kinda wierd how life works huh?
Old 05-19-2010, 09:49 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlisabeth
I am almost ready to assemble my engine but need to order a few final parts first. I am going to be running flat top speed-pro 4.030" pistons which the block has been zero-decked to. I am also using 76cc World Products S/R Torquer heads that will put my CR at approximately 9-9.1:1. I was planning on using the Fel-Pro 7733PT2 head gaskets that came in my gasket kit. They have a compressed thickness of .039" and a bore of 4.125". I have seen recommendations of using a gasket with compressed thickness of .040 or .041 with a zero decked motor. Can this small difference in thickness really make an noticeable difference? It also looks like the .040 and .041 gaskets are made of much better materials which must account for the cost difference.

I think I will order either the Fel-Pro Z1142 @ $75 or the Fel-Pro Z1003 at $35. Why the big difference in price and will either work for me?

Thank You,

Derek
The issue at these dimensions is less one of compression and more of potential collision between piston and head. The piston rocks around it's pin going over the top, a situation exacerbated by the pin off set which is usually .060 inch but some makers use more, others less. This rocking is from a transfer of thrust faces on the skirt; in the process of doing this, the piston tilts and its crown is high on one side of the bore. As you get under .040 inch, the risk of the piston hitting the underside of the squish/quench deck goes up, this is what people are trying to avoid with the .040 minimum clearance. .039 may be fine, but keep in mind where all this is headed. Some racers run 'em tighter but to do that they are using a zero offset pin and very tight skirt clearances. This is getting edgy but when big bucks are on the win/lose line this is the kind of stuff you try to get away with. For a street engine this just an invitation to destroy expensive engine parts.

Bogie

Last edited by oldbogie; 05-19-2010 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:44 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

The 1142 is a MLS gasket and the 1003 is a composite.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:07 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbogie
The issue at these dimensions is less one of compression and more of potential collision between piston and head. The piston rocks around it's pin going over the top, a situation exacerbated by the pin off set which is usually .060 inch but some makers use more, others less. This rocking is from a transfer of thrust faces on the skirt; in the process of doing this, the piston tilts and its crown is high on one side of the bore. As you get under .040 inch, the risk of the piston hitting the underside of the squish/quench deck goes up, this is what people are trying to avoid with the .040 minimum clearance. .039 may be fine, but keep in mind where all this is headed. Some racers run 'em tighter but to do that they are using a zero offset pin and very tight skirt clearances. This is getting edgy but when big bucks are on the win/lose line this is the kind of stuff you try to get away with. For a street engine this just an invitation to destroy expensive engine parts.

Bogie
The speed-pro pistons I am using are coated and require less cylinder wall clearance. The clearance recommended by speed-pro is only .001". This should help limit the rocking of the piston.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.