Hot Rod Forum banner

Head/Intake/Block questions

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  V8 Super Beetle 
#1 ·
I just picked up this engine and from running the Suffix code CNR I found it is a 1970 350 rated at 300hp. I pulled the valve covers and someone has installed 14014416 heads. If I am not mistaken these 305 HO heads. Next I looked up the Intake manifold and it is a14014432. I looked that up and it appears to be from an aluminum 1980 corvette intake. I have not run the engine so I do not know how much power it makes. It seems to me it will not even be close to the factory rating. Also, does it makes sense to have the higher flowing intake and then to restrict it with those heads? I am not an expert in the ways of engine building so any help will be appreciated. I just want to know what I am dealing with and what I should replace to make a 300-400ish HP street engine.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I am putting this engine in my 85 Iroc Camaro. My intentions for the car is to build a nice street car that has some get up and go. Maybe take it to the strip once or twice to see what it does, but primarily a fun street car. Hopefully this info helps show my intent for the car.

#6 ·
Your 416 heads have a 58cc chamber,most later 350 heads are 76cc you would drop compression by about 1 1/2 points and that would suck.The 416 is not a bad flowing head for a stocker,your IROC is not really a light weight car so you need TORQUE to get it moving,ideally you need to have your powerband for a street machine from off idle to 5,000 RPM,The Corvette intake you have will work in that range or consider swapping to a Weiand Stealth intake which would make power should you swap to a better performance head,not knowing what your budget is or what cam is in your 350 limits what we can add to that.With new HEI's running under a $100 that have a performance curve and hotter spark that should be on your "A" list.

#7 ·
I suspect your current static compression ratio is well in excess of 10:1 and will require quite a bit of cam to prevent detonation on pump gas. "Quite a bit of cam" is not street friendly without a loose converter and some gears. I would secure a set of gaskets and disassemble the motor to see what's in it for pistons, cam, etc. Until you do that, every move you make with this motor will be shootin' in the dark.

#8 ·
Thanks again for the help. As for the cam, I have no idea what it is. I am going to tear down the engine and see what I am working with. The rear has 3.42 gears and I am running a 700r4. I am think about swapping to a TH350, but that is a different topic. So a set of Vortec Heads, a good Vortec intake and a mild cam would be good for street? Also can I run a roller cam and lifters? Would it be beneficial?

#10 ·
Camelicax said:
Thanks again for the help. As for the cam, I have no idea what it is. I am going to tear down the engine and see what I am working with. The rear has 3.42 gears and I am running a 700r4. I am think about swapping to a TH350, but that is a different topic. So a set of Vortec Heads, a good Vortec intake and a mild cam would be good for street? Also can I run a roller cam and lifters? Would it be beneficial?
Vortecs on a 350 with a 10:1 CR , an intake swap like a RPM, a .450-.480 lift cam in the 230º @ .050 rage, and some 1 5/8" long tube headers would be right around 375-400 hp. You would get about another 25-45 hp with a full roller setup, depending on your intake and cam selection.

You'll need to tear it apart to find out what pistons you have in there first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.