Hot Rod Forum banner

Head questions, plzz help

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  stereodud 
#1 ·
I just got a set of TBI heads off an 87-93 car i dont know cause i just baught the heads, fully redone the heads look great. When I got them from the mail, I noticed the both the intake and exhaust have the things that i dont know what are called so ill call them "rollers" for the valves. Basically the valve keepers go into them and they rest ontop of the valve spring. Well anyway on most engine's i seen only the exhaust valve has this so it can rotate. But these heads have them on both the intake and exhaust valve's. Are they good to have do they cause problems? also the engine doesnt have rockers, would i need push-rods retainers for the rockers or would regular rockers with no push rod retainers work?? I also never plan on bringing the engine over 3500 RPM in its life. Thanks
Im 16 this is my second set of heads in a few months since the first set had a crack in one of them, got no permit the car wont be running until im 17 1/2 so I got time to save up money and do it good.

#2 ·
The TBI heads are ok but if you have time to save I would get different heads like voretc, double hump, dart, etc. Also, the TBI heads are a little different than earlier models. An early model intake will fit the TBI heads with some modification to the mounting holes.

I assume you are reffering to the retainers which all heads should have them. Again, I assume you are refering to guide plates for the push rods, some heads require them. If you just need something to drive, get a set of stock heads for the year model of your ride.

Hope that helps

#3 ·
If these are sheet metal cups that fit over the valve retainer and keeper, they are oil deflectors. That cup in conjuction with a small o-ring, keeps excessive motor oil away from the valve stem seal.

...also the engine doesnt have rockers, would i need push-rods retainers for the rockers or would regular rockers with no push rod retainers work??<hr></blockquote>

Are these TPI heads? Are the push rod holes fairly small? If so, you will not need push rod guide plates as these holes act as the push rod guide. The push rods should be hardened if you go to a roller tip rocker arm.

[ September 11, 2002: Message edited by: KULTULZ ]</p>

#4 ·
If the heads don't have guide plates then make sure you use "self aligning" rail type rocker arms. Without guide plates regular roller rockers will slide off the valve tips and make nasty things happen. Earlier heads had slots in the heads to guide the pushrods. Many later ones did not and used rail rockers.

#5 ·
Let's not forget the screw in studs that are needed for guide plates and the machine work too! If you are never going above 3500 R.P.M. than I wouldn't worry about that and would use stock rockers. But let's face it, 3500 R.P.M. is pretty mild, I've pulled 5000 R.P.M. out of every small block I ever owned bone stock on a regular basis. It depends on how long you hold it there, Never "dog" your engine to death, leave that for the circle track guys. There is a cheap alternative to screw in studs and that is to "drill and pin" your stud bosses. If you lose a stud and a lifter comes out it's bore YOU WILL HAVE NO OIL PRESSURE. This can be catostrophic at almost any engine speed. I only mention this because you will probably want more and more power in the future (It's addictive). And remember detonation is the biggest killer. My best advice is keep reading and learn from other peoples mistakes (we all make them). And a lot of money doesn't always equal a lot power.

#6 ·
actauly the main thing which I need is if those retaner things. if you take them off they have ball bearing in them to allow the valve to rotate, it is uslauy just found on the exhaust valves but the heads I got have them on the exhaust valves and intake valves I want to install the heads tonight and if I shoulnt have those bearing things on the intake vavles i would like to know now before i take the engine apart and put regualar intake non rotate vavlve retaners

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.