Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Head recommendation - low HP w/LT1 intake

2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Tim240Z 
#1 ·
I know, I know...not another "what heads should I buy" question, but here goes anyways:

This will go into my 40 Chevy:
I have a 71 4 bolt '010' block from my truck. I believe that the engine is unmolested. I want to build a mild high torque, lower range RPM engine, with good reliability and fuel economy. The engine will likely not ever see over 4k RPM, at least not for long. This will be a cruiser with a 200 4R. On the other hand I don't want it to be a complete dog either.
I am running Vortec heads on the truck now and love them, but I can't use the Vortecs with the LT1 intake (which I am converting to run a rear mount distributor). I will be using the injectors and running MegaSquirt (which I have already built and bench tested) to run the injectors.

I was leaning towards the generic and ubiquitous Edelbrock performer heads, but maybe there is a better choice. Obviously, considering the above requirements, I don't want heads with huge ports, and they will need to be compatable with the LT1 intake ports (which the Vortecs, and some others **see below** are not).

Thanks.....
Tim

From the LT1intake.com site:
ill the LT1 intake fit my standard SBC heads?

I have test fit the intake on several different types of heads including stock early and late bolt pattern, Trick Flow, and AFR. Due to the dozens of heads available for the SBC I cannot test fit them all.

Some heads that have had recent problems are Dart and Sportsman II heads. The coolant ports and EGR port is much larger and the isn't enough intake flange to cover the larger holes. Seems like to me some material would need to be welded to the LT1 intake to provide additional coverage of these larger holes.

Will the LT1 intake fit Vortec heads?

No, it will not fit. The intake mating flange is too narrow to cover the tall ports that the Vortec head uses. Here's a cutaway picture with a standard SBC intake mated to Fastburn heads. Fastburn heads were drilled with both standard SBC and Vortec bolt patterns.

The LT4 intake will not fit Vortec heads either. This is due to the Vortec bolt pattern is way too high on the head for the intake. The LT4 intake can be adapted to Fastburn heads because it is drilled for bother standard and Vortec bolt patterns. Some port matching on the LT4 intake will be requires when using Fastburn heads will be required.

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.