head STUD sealant - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2014, 07:18 PM
Living In The Past

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

head STUD sealant

Hey,, I know this subject been flogged already , but is this stuff good for head stud sealant sbc? Or should I use Teflon paste or tape. I used the GM Sealant last time and it was s hit , three leaked! ... It was great for gaskets though!!!
It's a street strip engine that's not coming apart regularly, hopefully...
Keep in mind they're studs, not bolts.

Thanks

Duke
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	254.4 KB
ID:	112042  

Advertisement

Last edited by thinwhiteduke; 01-09-2014 at 07:23 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2014, 07:44 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

I use the same stuff as bolts. Cheap plumbers tape. I haven't used too many sets of head studs though.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:48 PM
http://www.warsprints.com

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwhiteduke View Post
Hey,, I know this subject been flogged already , but is this stuff good for head stud sealant sbc? Or should I use Teflon paste or tape. I used the GM Sealant last time and it was s hit , three leaked! ... It was great for gaskets though!!!
It's a street strip engine that's not coming apart regularly, hopefully...
Keep in mind they're studs, not bolts.

Thanks

Duke
The main thing to remember using any sealant is that the threads in the block and the studs/bolts need to be cleaned. I personally use the Aviation Form-A-Gasket and have never had a leak. The Indian Head is "similar" and should work fine. If you really want to be sure, use the Teflon tape on the stud threads and then a light coat of Indian Head sealer on the Teflon tape and install the studs. If you use Teflon tape, make sure you "stretch" it when wrapping around the stud threads so it will get down into the threads instead of just laying I on top of the threads. JMHO, I'm sure others will have a different way.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:43 PM

Last journal entry: For a change of pace
Last photo:

Blue leak lock ((NOT blue thread sealer)) both by locktite. If you really are antsy use yellow teflon ( yea I know its 7 bucks a roll ) and then blue leak lock
ontop of the yellow tape. You only need two wraps of yellow tape. I just use blue leak lock, unless I have one of those spidy sense tingles, then I do tape and leak lock. That combo never failed me. But, I sure never tried all the products out there. Other busy swear by other stuff.

Blue leak lock Stays soft and yet grips enough for some thread lock properties.
I swear it has some blue thread lock mixed into it.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:12 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10 Racer View Post
The main thing to remember using any sealant is that the threads in the block and the studs/bolts need to be cleaned. I personally use the Aviation Form-A-Gasket and have never had a leak. The Indian Head is "similar" and should work fine. If you really want to be sure, use the Teflon tape on the stud threads and then a light coat of Indian Head sealer on the Teflon tape and install the studs. If you use Teflon tape, make sure you "stretch" it when wrapping around the stud threads so it will get down into the threads instead of just laying I on top of the threads. JMHO, I'm sure others will have a different way.
I don't think you can put it on a bolt without stretching it tight, that tape doesn't stick on it's own... Like it's made of Teflon or something.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:14 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Loctite 518, clean both threads well. Lightly torque head on to keep studs aligned, let cure for 24 hours.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:29 AM
http://www.warsprints.com

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72 View Post
I don't think you can put it on a bolt without stretching it tight, that tape doesn't stick on it's own... Like it's made of Teflon or something.
Yes you can..... Try it.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:25 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10 Racer View Post
Yes you can..... Try it.
I have, it doesn't stay put unless you stretch it while you put it on, it moves all over the threads.

I've gone through quite a bit of that tape. Never had a problem either, just wrap it with 3 layers, light coat of oil or assembly lube, and torque 5lbs over what it calls for.

Again, it's not "by the book" but its cheap, easy, and effective.

If anyone has a way to measure how much it really alters the torque specs I'd be interested to know. I just use 5lbs as an adjustment.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:59 AM

Last photo:

I have head studs from arp on both of my small chevy 350's and the older one I have which was built in 2007 plain old Teflon tape was used and they have been fine ever since. Now on my newer 350 which was built in 2008 I used head bolts and then switched to head studs two years ago cause of other issues and at first we used the Teflon paste and it was a disaster and never hardly sealed. Then we took it apart and redid with Teflon tape and then added Indian head over the Teflon tape and it sealed like a charm. Recently last spring I switched the heads and only Teflon tape was used and all but four studs sealed up just fine and I am going to take each one out at a time and reseal the dang things once again. My threads were as clean as you can get outside a new block and it was chased and cleaned and aired blown out. From what I read sometimes its a hit or miss with these things and most of what works is a Teflon tape along with something like permatex no 2 or indian head or the locktite blue sealant that usually works pretty well for the most part with out having any issues.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:46 PM
Living In The Past

Last photo:

Thank you all for your input. The threads in the block have been chased out with a "good quality" tap. No metal came out and the threads are now shiny new looking. I will rinse with thinners and blow dry also to ensure they are squeaky clean.
Seems, as usual, there are more ways than one to skin a cat and this time the tightly wound Teflon tape with light coat of Indian Head is sitting well with me in my gut. My gut feeling are usually right for me. Last time when I used just the GM sealant, it seemed a bit runny to me like it lacked enough viscosity to hold up to the task of staying where it should until everything was torqued up, and sure enough, I had to redo three studs.

Does anyone remember the final torque spec (I'll do in three stages) for an ARP stud in SBC?
I lost the paperwork for them. 70f/lbs comes to mind...

Again, I appreciate your help

Duke

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.