Hot Rod Forum banner

head swap on a 60 over 350 chevy!

5K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  gofastz 
#1 ·
guys its me again lol, ok my engine was added up on the desktop dyno @ 357hp, 406tq given the binnifit of dout here ok, kb flat tops, with 280h comp cam,1.5 harlland sharp roller rockers, with a 1850 600 carb, a eldebrock performer eps, with 882's milled 125 thousands to get the 10.1cr 1.94/1.50 valves, iv added a 3310 750 sence then, now i want more hp like dart plat alm 215cc heads and a rpm air-gap and go up to a comp 305h, would someone like to make hp&tq guess???? thanx guys the info is greatly app!!

#6 ·
I would move up to better heads as you`ve mentioned, but I wouldn`t want to go up that high. You didn`t mention if this is a street machine, what transmission or what rear gear, or the bottom end of your 400.
If you plan to street drive it or track side, I would go up to 195cc runner heads. I would go up a step on the cam to the 292H. If your car has power brakes this cam will be borderline without a vacuum reserve. If you use the 305H you will need a vacuum reserve. If your using a automatic you`ll need at least a 3500 stall converter.

#7 ·
id like to be able to take it to the dragstrip, and take it out for a day drive, i bulit the rear 8.5 a year ago with a posi 3.73 gear, the tranny (th350) has ben bulit with a B&M shift kit, with a 2200 stall converter, i need a bigger stall as it is now, as for the engine the for the bottom end, i'll be getting ether a scat 9000 or a egale cast steel crank good to 500hp, i have a set of those "x" rods or "pink" rods as the older guys called them, they say they are good, they are pushing kb flattop pistons with 4v, the block is a 4 bolt main.... my buddy recomends the 215 head with a 2.05 valve size he said bc that will give good flow and give room to move up on the camshaft like the 305h, and run 93 octane with octane booster, 110 race gas here is almost 8 bucks a gallon, so the 93 with the booster is cheaper and it would do good on it....

#8 ·
As these guy's are recommending, and the regular run of the mill octane booster is a absolute waste of money. You run 93 oct and add a can +6 octane booster, what do get? 99 oct....nope, you get 93.6. Each advertised point is only 1/10 of a point, just google "octane booster myths" lots of stuff to read from very knowledgeable folks.

#10 ·
the 215's and the 305h or solid cam combo is not worth messing with?? may i ask why? keep in mind guys, i would like to get the "most" out of my 350...sorry im a comp cam man, im sure everyone has there own likeings of cam brands, i so happen to like the compcams, no offence to anyone.. and thanx again guys, keep feeding me with info, i love reading about this..

#12 ·
You have a 350. You want to stick heads on it with massive runners, the bigger the runner the more loss of velocity and the more loss of low end power. The 305H cam says "for use on large cubic inch small blocks" if you plan to street drive it, you won`t like it. If you couple the cam and 215 heads you`ll have to install a 4500 stall and 4.88 gears which pretty much takes out streetability. If you had a 400 it wouldn`t be so bad, as there would be cubes to make up for it, but a 350 is a bit too risky. With 215 heads and that cam you`ll have to rev the stink out of it to make any power.
Do as you wish, I`m only trying to tell you if you take the route your planning, your not going to like it. The next hassle will be setting up a vacuum reserve so the power brakes still work. You`ll also have to add a open plane intake which will kill more bottom end power. The performer eps is pretty much over at 5500 and if your power band starts at 4000 you`ll have 1500 rpm of rev before the power drops off, not quite worth it.

#13 ·
thanx guys, im not a expert on everything, and there for im going to ask questions, not meaning to be a pain in the rump, only way to learn is to ask rite? ok what about the comp292h, with the sportsmen 2's with the 200cc intake runners, would that be better on my 350?? yals help and info is great..

#15 ·
Well I once had a chevy 355 with world sportsman 2's along with a comp 292h camshaft and ran a weiand dual plane high rise intake and ran some keith black high dome pistons which I ended up with around 10:75 to one compression wise and when I ran racing fuel in the thing it ran very nice and good and had a lot of great response to it.

The weak link was a edelbrock 750 carb which never liked the big 292h cam I had in it. Bottom line I had way to much compression with iron heads and when just running it on pump gas it pinged so bad I just got tired of it being too much compression for the street. Don't do like I did at one time and get everything bigger is better type of a deal use and iron heads and you won't be happy with your engine and it will be just a waste of money.

I have waisted over 6000 plus dollars over the last ten years to learn my lesson so take advice from me. Get your education on combinations first before you go buying a bunch of parts.

If you get a set of AFR 195 heads with a edelbrock rpm performer intake with a good comp cam to go along with it and some decent compression you will have a very good running motor.

Take the advice from the veterans on here and learn from that and that will give you good direction. I have made some changes to my engines over the years and have learn you must match things up very well for what your really doing with it not just for sound and bragging rights as what good does that really do anyways.
Eric

#16 ·
eric, im planing on not changing the flattops, witch give me 10.1 cr with 64 cumbustion chambers, ok another idea here im running the comp 280h now, what head could i run to get all the power out of it with the 280h, is 400hp or more possible with this cam with like you said AFR195's or the trickflow 195 fast as cast?? im going to get the RPM Air-Gap ether way so theres no dout there thats a good choice on the intake, so maybe i need to stay with the cam i have and just choose a good head like you say....??

#17 ·
Yes keep the cam you got and either get the air flow heads or the trick flow heads. With either of those heads you should be able to run high test gas with no issues since aluminum heads can take a little more compression then cast iron heads. With you wanting to keep the flat tops you will be doing good.

With either head you should be close to 400 horse power but I would think you would probably be more then that. You will like the combo but you also have to have the matching rear end gears and proper stall to go with it as well if your running an automatic. Get the edelbrock rpm performer air gap I have one on my 350 and its a very nice intake.Keep is simple and don't get anything above 200cc intake runners. You also have the option of Brodix Iron killer heads. They have 180 and 200cc intake runner versions and they would also be a really good choice.
Eric

#18 ·
Eric, that sounds real good thanx, i really had my eyes on the dart plat Alum 200cc heads, then people was saying go 190-195cc head, i thought to my self 200cc's ant that much more, my 350 should handle that much with the 280h camshaft and a RPM Air-Gap, the combo i have now was put on the desktop dyno it put out 357hp and 406tq, now give or take ok, we did a intake swap to the rpm air-gap it made 60 more hp?? thats 417hp, if thats rite?? i truely beleave theres alot more hp in my 350, im just trying to find it...thanx...Tim

#19 ·
You can go with the dart pro one platinum ones if you wanted too as well. I am running 200cc intake runner size heads on both of my build's and one is a daily driver which is a little big for it but it still is a very nice ride.

5cc won't make that much of a difference between the 190,195 and 200cc heads its the total air flow that matters for that size of a cam and on a street driven engine the flow numbers between .300 to .500 lift will help you out. AFR, Dart or Trick flow will work just take your pick. Now if you had a smaller cam say a 220ish size @ 50 duration then a smaller intake runner would work better for better bottom end response and port velocity.

The AFR will flow the best and give you the most overall power but the other two won't be to far behind but can't give any number's cause I don't have any desktop dyno software to use.
Eric

#20 ·
Eric, thanx, the AFR's are alittle pricey around 1500-1600 bucks, i can snag a set of Darts new for less than $1300, or mayb find some at the swap meet ill be at august 14, in mereta georga i think i spelled that rite, ill prb pick up the rpm air-gap there too, that would be nice lol.. oh im running the turbo350 the rear is the 8.5 with 3.73 gears, the B&M stall is a 2200, i want a 3000 or 3500...Tim

#21 ·
I am running a similar 350. I have dart iron eagle 200cc heads that where ported quite a bit along with an edelbrock rpm air gap intake along with a lunati vodoo roller cam with 231/239 @ 50 with 535/550 lift and run a turbo 350 with a 3500 stall and 3.73 gears in the rear and it runs very nice and fast in my 86 s10. Your setup is very good and all you need is a higher stall to go with your cam and get the dart heads along with the airgap dual plane intake and you will be good to go. That combo will make a very nice engine. In my opinion there is no perfect engine combo as there is a take and give sort of thing when matching parts together. Have fun
Eric

#22 ·
Eric, cool and thax again, the Dart pro 1's 200cc alum heads are the one's then, and yeah the stall needs to be higer i think a 3000 or 3500 would be fine, ill prb justt get the 3000, if i ever do a cam swap i would have the extra stall there, plus who knows the 280h mite like that stall with heads and intake... yes sir tire burning time lol.....Tim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.