Hot Rod Forum banner

header to exhaust problem

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Tom 
#1 ·
My collectors are warped. They meet at the three points of the "triangle" but the metal between leaves a rather large gap where i have a very annoying exhaust leak. I have tried doubling and even tripeling the gaskets on them but it is still not enough. Do you have any suggestions? Is there a product out there that goes inside the the header and the exhaust pipe that bridges the two? I don't know if it matters but i have a 69 firebird and three inch collectors. thanks for your help.

#4 ·
also jegs,summit and most parts houses sell a collector gasket(alumaseal is the brand i have) made of dead soft aluminum i have used these on my own headers to block and the collector with great success warped or not they form to the surface and usualy you dont have to retighten them like regular paper gaskets

#5 ·
I had a gto once ,, I had headders that leaked , after much aggravation my friend at the muffler shop made me a set of adaptors and we cut the flanges off the headders and welded them solid . The argument is , well If I need to take the headder off Im screwed , my argument is if the exhaust is right you shouldn't have to take the headder off , even if you need to replace the starter ,, and on a pontiac , it helps to loosen the headder , having the pipes welded solid still doesn't matter . If you have ceramic headders .. buy the long 12 inch heavy collectors from summitt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.