Header flange went bye bye - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2002, 06:36 PM

Last journal entry: Some pics
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thumbs down Header flange went bye bye

Well at least I got the heads off. I was in the process of pulling the heads off, and the one last bolt to the header was a real pain. The next to the last one wasn't much better, but at least I eventually got it off. So there I was trying the old squeeze the living crap out of the vice grips to get a rounded bolt technique. Even with that I couldn't get the last one off. So I tried yanking the gasket out to get a little wiggle room. It sort of worked, and then I saw it was a slot not a hole. SO I tried just yanking real hard on the heads and turning tthem every which way.

The heads did come off, but so did the flange to the middle tube of the header. So I want to know if I can get a new flange welded on my headers. Shouldn't be too complicated, but can it be done. I have a shop in mind and maybe I should just ask him.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2002, 06:51 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

I would think that any competant welder would be able to do the work for a nominal fee.
Old 11-07-2002, 07:05 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Yep.
Old 11-07-2002, 09:43 PM

Last photo:

Thanks, I thought so. I may well see if I can get a new one instead of replacing the old one. The old one was rusty to the point I was able to chisel(with a flat head screw driver) off chunks. There was a good layer beneath that, but still.

BTW what is the general opinion on using covering wraps over the headers to keep down under hood temps? I am considering it because it would probably help the battery cable live a little longer, plus I think keeping underhood temps down is a good idea. One downside is I think it would be very easy to make it look bad with the wrap. As opposed to a good paint job.

[ November 07, 2002: Message edited by: Wmarden ]</p>
Old 11-07-2002, 11:27 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Wrapping the headers will shorten their life considerably, I don't recommend them. Even the blankets will shorten the life too.

Some of the guys here on the forum have had their headers Jet Hot coated which coats the header inside and out and actually makes them last longer...although I'm not sure it reduces underhood temps any.

I don't believe there is any foolproof product or method that will achieve what you want without shortening your headers life, the stainless heavy gauge headers seem to stand up to wrapping better but they still degrade faster than usual if you go this route.

Sorry to say there is no perfect solution to the problem. I have used insulated vented stainless shields on industrial stationary engines to reduce noise and transmitted heat with tubular exhausts and it works quite well, having adequate air flow through the shield is important and using quartz glass matting is required to withstand the heat.
Old 11-08-2002, 02:02 AM

Last photo:

Thanks again, I knew I had heard something negative about them, but just could not remember what it was. Given the fact that I just popped a flange off I think wraps would only be a bad idea.
Old 11-08-2002, 06:02 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Wraps would be better than the thick chunks of flaking rust!! Seriously, I am a huge fan of the Jet-Hot type coating. If you are serious about keeping your headers alive, this stuff will give you at least a decade. I am close to that milestone for the headers on my Willys and they still look like new, inside and out! I am not prepared to say they will last forever but I don't see any signs of mortality yet. Also, they do lower temperature a little, not by insulation as much as by greatly reducing radiant heat loss since the surface is very shiny. Since the radiant heat loss component of hot headers is significant, there is a measurable heat loss reduction.

Also, put some anti-sieze on your header bolts this time!

[ November 08, 2002: Message edited by: willys36@aol.com ]</p>
Old 11-08-2002, 07:35 PM

Last photo:

What would it cost me to Jet-hot coat them? Is it available in a rattle can(or even for a spray gun) or is it more like powder coating in that is an involved process?
Old 11-08-2002, 08:49 PM
Tazz

Last photo:

Cool

Got a set of Sanderson headers for my 53 chev. Rattle caned the hot coat in and out as best I could, didn't want the extra cost of the dipped headers so far they are great. Look great after the first season too, no change since I rattle caned them. The cans cost about $10 each, I used two cans.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.