Header Gasket Question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2003, 04:42 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Header Gasket Question

I want a good seal on my exhaust header so I decided to order gasket material and fabricate my own. I want to insure they will fit exactly as I want them to fit and seal off without restrictions. My question is as follows:

I ordered Mr. Gasket Ultra Seal exhaust gasket material to make my gaskets and was wondering if anyone on this board has used this material and can offer any inputs?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2003, 04:49 PM
The Smell of Nitro in the morn

Last wiki edit: How to adjust valves Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I use their gaskets. I just get a smaller one then cut it to size with a small angle outward to make it match to the header for flow. I never had one go bad on me yet, good material with the screen between the two metalic fabrics. Just make sure to cutout the sending unit spaces.
Old 03-14-2003, 05:01 PM

[quote]Originally posted by 1BAD80:
<strong>I use their gaskets. I just get a smaller one then cut it to size with a small angle outward to make it match to the header for flow. I never had one go bad on me yet, good material with the screen between the two metalic fabrics. Just make sure to cutout the sending unit spaces.</strong><hr></blockquote>
Thanks for the input... I read on-line that you can buy it by the sheet anyplace that stocks Mr. Gasket products so over to Advance I went. I had to get the Advance Auto Parts clerk to let me read their Mr. Gasket catalog because he said they couldn't get it in sheets, (sometimes it's better to look it up yourself). Sure enough, at the back of the gasket section they offer multiple grades of gasket materials available in sheets, including the ultra seal exhaust material, (6"x24" and 10"x10" sheet), so you can make your own gaskets! Guess what I'm doing this weekend...LOL
Old 03-15-2003, 02:10 PM

Last photo:

Mr Gasket has been known to sell some pure junk over the years and ULTRA SEAL is one of them , just compressed paper and ??,They will Not Stay Tight!! And burn up. You can get Nitroseal made buy Victor at Napa , CarQuest and others,They are the best i have seen for Headers in years.Retighen one time and forget about them,And reusable a few times for changing that starter and not to pricey.Thats my 2cent worth!
Old 03-15-2003, 04:00 PM

[quote]Originally posted by roys63:
<strong>Mr Gasket has been known to sell some pure junk over the years and ULTRA SEAL is one of them , just compressed paper and ??,They will Not Stay Tight!! And burn up. You can get Nitroseal made buy Victor at Napa , CarQuest and others,They are the best i have seen for Headers in years.Retighen one time and forget about them,And reusable a few times for changing that starter and not to pricey.Thats my 2cent worth!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Mr Gasket, (as well as other manufacturers), offer several grades of exhaust gasket material.
Because multiple grades can be purchased I asked the clerk for the catalog before ordering to make sure I wasn't getting the compressed paper crap. They do sell one brand that is a compressed material, (which I think is the paper stuff your referring to), but they also offer a special applications brand which is more robust and can be purchased in sheets. What I ordered is the more expensive special applications brand that I believe has a graphite facing with steel in the middle.

Thanks for offering your two cents on this but I think what your referring to is everday crap you find hand on shelves in parts stores around the country. I didn't want to use the "paper gaskets" you refer to which is why I decided to source out a more robust material and cut my own gaskets.

I had my exhaust fitted today, (2" from the collector all the way back to a turbo), and now the car is in my garage waiting for the gasket material to arrive so I can go play.
Old 03-15-2003, 04:06 PM

Last photo:

OK Let us know how it gos.

[ March 15, 2003: Message edited by: roys63 ]</p>
Old 03-15-2003, 04:11 PM

<strong>OK Let us now how it gos.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Will do, and thank you for your input.. (If I had been buying compressed gaskets off the shelf, your input would have saved me from having alot of problems.)
Old 03-15-2003, 04:12 PM

<strong>OK Let us know how it gos.

[ March 15, 2003: Message edited by: roys63 ]</strong><hr></blockquote>
I forgot to mention, "Sweet 63"!
Old 03-15-2003, 04:14 PM

[quote]Originally posted by Toyguyz:
<strong>How many ponys is that 63 packin' under the hood?....
I forgot to mention, "Sweet 63"!</strong><hr></blockquote>
Old 03-15-2003, 04:50 PM

Last photo:

That depends on the blower speed and the fuels used, About 800+ Tops with N2O to cool the charge!! Not bad for a small block.What are you up to with the Turbo or turbo's?
Old 03-15-2003, 06:01 PM

<strong>That depends on the blower speed and the fuels used, About 800+ Tops with N2O to cool the charge!! Not bad for a small block.What are you up to with the Turbo or turbo's?</strong><hr></blockquote>

No turbo's on any of my toys... thinking about a supercharger for my pony though.
Old 03-15-2003, 07:12 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

I cut my own header gaskets from Mr. Gasket hard white material and it holds up great. Don't know what the designation is, I just buy it 4 or 6 pieces at a time from Summit.
Old 03-15-2003, 08:37 PM

[quote]Originally posted by willys36@aol.com:
<strong>I cut my own header gaskets from Mr. Gasket hard white material and it holds up great. Don't know what the designation is, I just buy it 4 or 6 pieces at a time from Summit.</strong><hr></blockquote>Thanks for the input... My material arrive at the parts store tomorrow, and it will be transformed in gaskets then it will be time to play again!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.