header, or not to header.. that is my question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2004, 03:19 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

header, or not to header.. that is my question

i have some cheep $79 flowtech headers on my 76 camaro now, they are ofcorse, cheep, nice and rusty, kinda a pain to play with plugs, ya know, typical cheep headers.

well im about to dump a new exhaust on my car, and i want to know if i should bother to change the headers out, and if i do, with what?

and also, i have narrowed my muffler selection down to ether a flowmaster 50 delta flow, or that ravin 55 series, both of which the shop i selected has in stock, but im not sure what to go with, as u can see with my flowmaster option im going for quieter inside, and good outside

all opnions wlecome
camaro76

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2004, 04:12 PM
doesn't play well with others

Last photo:

Well this is surely one that you will get many different opinions on. When I was a newly licensed teenager I put headers on everything 'cause (A) they were cool, (B) race cars had 'um, and (C) every magazine said "bolt-on horsepower". Well after years of rusty header pipes, leaky collector gaskets, etc., etc. I started to get fed up. Aside from all the dyno tests on 'tuned' header pipes I decided that on a street driven car I would rather have years of leak free exhaust than constant header issues. When it came time do set up my current Mustang I kept my original manifolds, had 2 1/2 inch pipe custom bent back to set of V-Force mufflers, then as soon as she cleared the rear we blew it out to 3" straight out the back. The only change I would consider would be a pair of Ford Motorsport factory shorty headers. Manifolds may not be the popular way to go but it can be done. She sounds good, never leaks, and runs fine the way she is. I attached links to some pics that show most of the exhaust. First one is of the front pipes hanging while I had the trans out. Second is of the mufflers and tail. Third is of the engine which you can just about see the manifold in there.

front pipes

mufflers

engine

Old 02-27-2004, 04:38 PM
Muscle car fan

Last photo:

i think i'd rather have original manifolds over cheap headers, but good fitting headers with a decent design should be leak free just as long as manifolds would be.

Hooker Supercomps are the ones i hear most people praising
Old 02-27-2004, 06:43 PM

Last photo:

ok, with that being said, im not a teenager, but im still young enough where i want headers, im mainly asking, should i keep the el-cheepo's or upgrade to some other header, and if so, what would be the sugestions. after listning to the flowmaster 50 delta flows on there site i maybe go with them, but i know they don't flow as well as other aftermarket mufflers, im currious if anyone has tryed these ravins, or know a better muffler than the flowswith basicly same effect
Old 02-27-2004, 07:32 PM

Last journal entry: 52 truck
Last photo:

Id upgrade if you have the money. But any header will rust unless you have them coated. If the looks are bothering you. Try some of that thermal wrap. It will cover up the rust, keep heat out of the engine bay and look like a race set of headers. Just an idea. HG

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?action=view&journalid=2415[/url]

Hemmies rat journal below.

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?s=f6d0e9c7fec644bb0a70761c0431939b&journalid=84231&action=view[/url]
Old 02-27-2004, 09:05 PM

Last photo:

the money thing doesn't bother me one bit, i have saved a full 2 week paycheck+16 hours OT & my tax return to do this, i just want to put the right things on the first time, and get my moneys worth.
Old 02-27-2004, 09:14 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

I like DMorris's thinking, Keep it simple. But I'm not feed up with headers yet, buy a nice set of ceramic coated headers, I bought Hookers, I think they're great, and they look awsome. Just make sure you buy an expensive set of copper of aluminum gaskets, they will keep the headers sealed tight for a long time.
Old 02-27-2004, 09:22 PM

Last photo:

If you think those headers are rusty now wait until you put thermal wrap on them, they will be paper thin if not see through in no time. Wrap is a bad idea for any street header (they trap moisture, and the cheaper headers can't handle the added heat the wrap hold in). For a race car it has some benefits, but not worth it on the street.

If you have a performance car and want the most out of it headers are the ONLY way to go. Sure the car will run with manifolds, but they do not flow or scavenge as well as headers. If you have a mild engine then manifolds work fine, I won't go into the weight of them or the fact that they crack

You don't have to have a top dollar header, but you do need very good gaskets (I prefer the aluminum ones), and if you don't want them to rust either have them coated (or buy coated headers) or you need to stay on top of them, oil treatment works nicely keeps them looking kind of blue, but if you don't keep on it they will still rust.

That's my $.02

Royce
Old 02-28-2004, 06:26 AM
doesn't play well with others

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by camaroman7d
I won't go into the weight of them or the fact that they crack
Cracking, hmmm, must be a Chevy thing. Just kidding. I'll show you respect as at least you gave your opinion and didn't just call me an old fart or something. I can respect an opinion and still offer a counterpoint. I think everyone has offered valid points. Quality of the header is a valid point. If I had a dollar for every stupid Blackjack header that I had to tweak because of clearance issues with Fords Z-bars. For those of you who haven't put headers on old Fords with clutches you wouldn't understand. By the way I've juggled SBF exhaust manifolds, they don't weigh that much (less than a factory intake manifold). I don't even want to go into all the old Vettes I've had the opportunity to work on and drive that would hold you in your seat that still had factory manifolds on them as required for a show car.

Quote:
Originally posted by camaroman7d
If you have a performance car and want the most out of it headers are the ONLY way to go.
Guess that's where your definition of 'performance' comes in. True my 302 doesn't have Edelbrock heads and 10:1 compression, but she's run side by side at the track beating some late 80's Mustang GT's and 5.0 LX's on street night. Is she a 500hp powerhouse, no. But cruisin' around she'll take most of the average street cars cruising around town. If I changed to headers would I shave a tenth or two of my track time...probably. But shooting down to the beach on a nice Sunday would I notice the difference...probably not.

If headers is what you like that's fine. I'm not anti-header. I've been contemplating looking into the possibilities of fitting a set of Ford Motorsport shorty headers like I mentioned in my first post into my car. I will simply argue that on your 'average' street car it is not the ONLY way to go. There are always options.

Old 02-28-2004, 07:37 AM

Last photo:

searching the internet, summit, and just general "what should i get" shoppin, i think i may have found a winner.

what are ya'lls opnions of these hedman elite hedders?
summit part number HED-68278

also, is this thermal coating same as ceramic?

they way they advertize it sounds like these things will handle most anything i can toss at it
Old 02-28-2004, 08:35 AM

What about maybe buying some corvette ram's horn manifolds, seems like they would give the best of both worlds, for $131 per side.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.