Header pipe wrap - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2004, 01:10 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Header pipe wrap

Has anyone ever used exhaust insulating wrap on headers before? I'm installing Hooker side pipes on my 74 Corvette. This set up has all four pipes per side routed under the floor at the firewall and exiting at the rear of the front wheel well into the collector and then into the side pipe. I'd like to keep as much of the heat in the pipes and out of the car as possible and the insulating wrap looks like the trick set up. Should I paint the pipes with hi heat paint first or leave them bare metal? I'm looking at this stuff in Summits catalog and it says it's good up to 2,000 degrees.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2004, 01:26 PM

I ran the wrap and didn't care for it as the exhaust pipes corrode very easy when they are wrapped.

I would suggest a good thermal coating over installing the wrap.
Old 05-04-2004, 02:26 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

Headers will rust much faster with the thermal wrap, you should have the headers painted, then put the thermal wrap on them.

Either way your still better off with ceramic coated headers.

Mike
Old 05-04-2004, 03:21 PM

Last photo:

The wrap is not a good choice even if the headers are painted, coated or anything else. You can get away with it for a while on a race only car (which is the only place you should even think about using it).

What the wrap does is hold moisture and it will destroy the headers in short order.

Royce
Old 05-04-2004, 03:39 PM

Last photo:

yep!
Old 05-04-2004, 04:22 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Another problem is the fact that the metal in the headers will get much hotter since it can not radiate heat like it normally would. The headers can eventually crack from fatique due to overheating continuously.....or so I am told.

Chris
Old 05-04-2004, 07:24 PM
The Smell of Nitro in the morn

Last wiki edit: How to adjust valves Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Your correct Chris, it gets brittle as in reading the other postings about getting hot, and cracks very fast once it happens.
We used it on out tow truck and they broke and cost 2 sets of heads for burnt valves.
The wrap it for the track only.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:51 PM

Last photo:

Thanks guys. I remember hearing that it was a bad idea but couldn't remember the specifics. The ceramic coated headers cost $190 more that painted and it would have cost about $90 for the wrap, ties & heat paint. So it only comes out to about $100 more for ceramic coated. I'll just make a set of heat shields for the underside of the floor. I used foil backed heat/sound insulation under the carpet, so it should be good. Thanks again..
Old 05-05-2004, 08:12 AM
Old Guys Rule!...EVERYTHING!

Last photo:

I have a 69 vette with a 427. Heat in the car has aways been a problem. I did use the wrap but only on the exhaust pipe as it ran down by the firewall and under the seats. I stop it there. Also I got some heavy gage aluminum foil and wrapped the wrapped area. I tied the foil down with some S.Stl. sealing wire. I did the last part to help it be more moisture resistant. Also my exhaust pipes are flame coated with aluminum, so corrosion is not a big deal. All this seems to help with the errant heat problem in the car. Good Luck ...Mark
Old 05-05-2004, 02:45 PM

Last photo:

You've got a lot more heat in Ca than we have up here in WA so I can just imagine sitting in traffic in the summer in your 69. My 74 was an A/C car with the compressor missing when i first got it (5 yrs ago). I took the rest of the a/c equipment of to clean up the engine bay, then summer came, Mistake #1.. I'm just completing a body off rebuild and built it back to resemble a Trans/Am SCCA racer of the time. The headers are replacing the set-up I made to hook up a set of Patriot single inlet side pipes. (my gallery page #3) the rest of the car is coming out so good this set-up looks out of place now. It's amazing how some projects take on a life of there own!! I super insulated the passenger compartment this time with a layer of insulating foil and then 3/8" foil backed insulation, foil side up so that I could foil tape all the seams. I just got an HP digital camera and am having trouble getting the file size down enough to post more pics. Have to get the kids to show me how!
Old 05-05-2004, 02:51 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

the biggest problem with wrap is that it looks horrible.

Coat your headers.

K
Old 05-05-2004, 02:55 PM

Last photo:

I thought so too! but the heat in these fiberglass coffins gets realy bad in traffic. I ordered Hooker Ceramic coated headers last nite. Thanks again for the info again.
Old 05-05-2004, 04:24 PM
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter

Last journal entry: Detailing Eng. Compartment
Last photo:

Download HP photo and imaging, it has a great picture edit feature.

I'm with the other guys, wrap is for race only use.

Troy

69 ss rs full custom camaro 98 ISCA grandchampion
69 ss rs bb camaro wifes driver
66 Elcamino 350/all dz parts,ac,windows,loaded,my driver
69 ss chevelle bb conv.fresh frame off
26 T sedan street rod
Old 05-06-2004, 10:50 AM
Old Guys Rule!...EVERYTHING!

Last photo:

On my Vette I have an insulation panel on the firewall from just under the heater assmy down to just where the firewall starts to parallel the road. Then the exhaust pipe runs up near the floor board (just under your feet), I believe alot of heat comes from there, and this is where I rapped the exhaust pipe. I agree with most here wrapping the exhaust system is for racing and looks VERY ugly. BUT doing just this portion, is hardly visible from the engine compartment. And wrapped with the foil and sealing wire doesn't look half bad. That plus helps controlling the heat, which is a big plus.
I forgot to mention originally there is an insulation shield and blanket under the seats, but the blanket starts to dissolve once it gets wet the first time (great engineering there GM!) That plus using "plastic" heat Shields! Works REALLY great in a big block car! *L* ...I re-engineered mine with aluminum Shields. I think later cars where changed to metal shielding too.?? Anyway I wouldn't total throw out the idea of wrapping a portion of your exhaust. Something to thing about if heat remains a problem for you. My $0.02 anyway, Good Luck! ...Mark

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.