Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - header wrap on starter
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2010, 06:17 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by nskeeter99
Ok I have header soak. So i got some header wrap, then read all the bad press about header wrap. So was think of just wraping the starter with it instead. good idea bad idea are usless?

skeeter
Yeah this is typical of a cooking starter.

I'd go a couple ways here.

First is to use the small body permanent magnet starter of the newer (1990's) Chevy/GMC V8s. These are much lesser in diameter and will provide some much needed air space between it and the exhaust.

Second is a heat shield rather than insulation. The problem with insulation is it will keep heat in as well as out, so the starter motor can get quite hot from soaking back from the block as well as from the exhaust. I, also, think you'll find a plumbers flame shield to be useful. These are a piece of Kevlar used as flame shield by plumbers when soldering pipe around wood structures, kind of pricey for what they are but are quite effective. One of these attached to the heat shield or draped between it and the header will do a lot to stop the heat from transferring, where the shield alone just reflects heat, though this is pretty effective by itself. They are available at home improvement centers.

Don't forget to bracket the back of the starter to the block. This offers a lot of stability for the starter and takes a lot of twisting motion off the big mounting bolts.

Bogie