Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Headers burning up my starter!
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 10:58 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Yes I already have a mini starter, I bought a lifetime unit so that's not a worry. A standard starter will not even fit in the space. The headers were hand built to only fit a mini starter. The process of removing it is horrible though. I cannot get to the bolts. It has an offset bolt pattern unlike a standard BBC and the offset bolt is right under the number 8 header pipe. I have to use a freekin open end wrench to get the bolt out. The exhaust also has to be dropped off and the passenger header has to be removed and pulled out of the way to access the starter bolts. The header cannot come out though, they had to be laid in the frame before the engine was lowered in, but I can move it just enough to get the bolts out. Then it takes about 15 minutes to work the starter out of itís spot. I hate it! The whole starter takes me 10 hours of work to swap.

That Moroso heat shield looks like that way to go. Heat shield + starter wrap + header tube wrap might solve the problem and for hundreds less than new headers.. All good ideas, thanks to everyone. I have never run into this problem before.

Lumberjack said it would be worth the 700 horsepower, it is. When the starter is working, itís crazy fast, most out of control thing I have ever driven. People are shocked when they see a big station wagon. But if I donít fix this problem, I will end up stranded somewhere.

Quick shot of the waggy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	293015_3231471440615_169314662_n.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	69180  

Last edited by jpekarek; 11-16-2012 at 11:22 AM.